Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba S3004s or ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba S3004s or ???

I'm at the point where I need to get some more servos, or take one of my flyable planes out of service so I can reuse the servos. I've already got a collection of S3004 servos and so far, they are doing a good job. However, it seems like this is a good time to consider alternatives.

Most of my planes range from .15 to .45. The largest will be a Seagull Decathlon and Kyosho Tiger Moth that are the targets of the new servos. I'm not into competition or 3D, and have been in the hobby long enough to know that I'll probably never move to 1/4 scale sized planes, so spending huge sums of money on ultra fast, highly precise, high output servos is not something I feel I need to do.

I see that the Hitec HS425BB is a little faster and has a little more torque than the S3004 servos, but they are also a bit heavier. The HS325BB is even faster, but has a little less torque, and is still heavier than the S3004. Is there any reason, other than being slightly faster, that would make these a good choice over the S3004? Are there other servos in this price range that are worth considering?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 AM
65 Chevy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba S3004s or ???

I would like to HIGHLY recommend the Hitec HS 425 servos. I have both Hitec and Futaba servos. The 425s and 455s are both ball bearing servos as are the 3004s. I have found that the 3004s are more prone to stripping the gears than the hite. Personal experience is almost 3 to 1 in favor of the hitecs
Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
XJet
Banned

I second bolt-locker's opinions.

I usually buy my HS425BB's eight at a time and have *never* had a single problem with them. Use a 6V flight-pack (they love it) and you'll find them to be surprisingly fast too.

Another option (albeit more expensive) is the HS475HB. These servos have quite a bit more torque and a more robust gear-train but do cost more (about $17 each). I've taken to using them on the tailfeathers of all my 40-50 sized 3D ships now.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks guys, I ordered some 425s. Since I'm not doing 3D or any other extreme things with the target planes, I don't think I need the extra power of the 475s. However, I have been looking for an excuse to try 6v instead of 4.8. Now I've got to decide whether to go with NiMH or perhaps start using lithium with a power regulator. I'm not interested in Li-poly, they seem to require a bit too much care (visions of plane, workshop, and house going up in flames). Perhaps Li-ion. Unfortunately, this would require additional investment, a real charger, I still use wall warts to charge the batteries right now. Maybe I should just stick with NiMH. Decisions, decisions, decisions...