Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6v Regulator Causing Jitter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 08:33 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v Regulator Causing Jitter.

I'm setting up my GP 33% 330L, trying to get it ready for its test flight.

I'm using two JR R600 Receivers setup as follows:

Receiver 1: Left Aileron - JR4131 two each
Right Elevator (in elevator channel) Hitec 645mg
Choke - JR537
Rudder Servo #1 (in rudder channel) Hitec 645mg

Receiver 2: Right Aileron - JR4131 two each
Left Elevator(in flap channel mixed with elevator)645m
Throttle servo - JR537
Rudder Servo #2 (in rudder channel) HItec 645mg

Separate 6v battery/regulator/switch to each receiver.

When I operate the sticks I get movement on the rudder and right elevator when I'm not intending to move those surfaces. If I take the regulators out of the circuit every thing operates very smooth.

The regulators are Cermark 5.17v units.

It appears the simple solution is to take the regulators out of the circuit but I'm not too sure if that will affect the electronics.

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:22 AM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

I think I've answered my own question. I took out my trusty multi-meter and measured the battery voltage with and without the regulator in line.

After a full charge I found the following:

No Regulator: 6.8v

With Reg : 5.01v

I'm sure I'm getting too much of a voltage drop on the 48" heavy duty (22ga) extensions going to my rudder and elvetor servo's which are mounted in the tail.

So for now I'll just take the regulator out of the system.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Your right, there is no need for a regulator.

I have the same aircraft and my setup is as follow.
Multiplex Royal servos all around (6) and Multiplex Jumbo on Rudder Pull/Pull.

1 1600ma battery 5 cell on ignition, throttle and choke servo.
1 600ma battery 4 cell on one receiver.
1 2300ma battery 5 cell for servos
Fiber Optic servo extensions on all channels
Never a problem.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 PM
thediode-RCU

Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm havin' a little trouble understanding the reason for the extra receiver, or should I say the way it's used. I thought the reason for the 2nd receiver would be to avoid the use of long leads, therefore eliminating the need for chokes or amplifiers.
I was planning on using an extra receiver in the tail section, with its own battery pack, to control the rudder and elevator servos. This leaves the long leads out of the equation for controlling the tail feathers.
Just a thought . . . .
Old 09-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

People started using two receivers because of the high current load on the large aerobatic aircrafts with all those digital servos.
Now most people that do use two receivers are doing so because that's what others do and they follow.

Redundency is rubbish because one receiver never failed in the past with the bad installation of trainers, and the receiver doesn't know its now in a large airplane.

Connect the servos on there own batteries and leave the receiver to do just that receive the signal and distribute it to the proper servo, but not the power.

You want to be safe, double check the switches, they are the most vulnerable. and don't stretch that 5 year old battery, until it dies on you.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:11 AM
DavidH

Rich,
I think if you will get JACCIO ( Jim Oddino) or Radio South voltage regulators you will not have a problem.
I have tried to use the cheaper voltage regulators such as the Cermark, MPI, ones and have had problems also with them.
When I have checked them I have found as the supply ( battery) voltage goes down, that the output voltage from the regulator also decreases. It should not do that , also on a scope I have seen that these cheaper regulators have spikes and lows also.
I personally will only trust the Oddino or Radio South regulator, they are good quality units. I am in no way affilliated with either one of the manufacters.

David