Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba module retuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
KINGX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba module retuning

Hi to all,

I have a question about Futaba 9C modules. It clearly states on the manual that if the Tx crystal is changed to change channels, then the radio's module has to be retuned by Futaba service because it will not operate properly. However, it also says that this is the procedure in NORTH AMERICA. I live in Europe and as you can understand i cannot send my 72Mhz Futaba sets to the US for "re-tuning" ! I have been operating a 6EXA for two years now in two diffirent channels. The original was ch23 and i also use ch18. I have had no problem so far with range or glitches or other stuff.......I am now also changing crystals in my 9CAP without retuning the coils that are located inside the module. I use ch23,24 and 21 without the slightest "malfunction" . Even the failsafe works fine in PCM mode regardless of the channel used!

So, is it really a marketing thing that the module has to be retuned if the channel is changed? $60 for a module to just change channels is im my book called "Technological Marketing Scam".

How can this be applicable only to NORTH AMERICA as Futaba claims?

I would like your honest opinion and experience on the subject and please do not just answer like "do what the manual says" or "futaba knows better" or "this is the.....law!". My experience is that what is said on the manual is only applicable to changing bands and not channels.And this experience is from 2 years of troublefree operation, not a single glitch even with micro receivers in environments with potential for high interference. So let us just be honest!

Happy new year.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Futaba module retuning

It's really USA, not "North America". The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) controls frequencies and issues regulations regarding operation of radio equipment. These regulations carrytheforce of law. One interpretation of the regulations says it is illegal to change crystals in transmitters without having the transmitter retuned. Another interpretation says that is nonsesnse and anyone can change a crystal any time. The AMA, which provides liability insurance, follows the interpretation that it's illegal. I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea whether it is illegal or not; but I fly at an AMA club, so I'll follow their interpretation of the rules.

Since you're not in the US, you're not subject to FCC regulations.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

if futaba was such a dishonest company as you seem to think they would not be so popular in this country. you bought a radio that was designed so that you could change frequencies by changing modules. now you dont want to change modules, you want to change the xtal in the module. next you will be complaing how difficult it is to get a different xtal. you will get lots of opinions on this subject and most will offer you the same one. i didnt crash yet so it must be ok. when futaba convinces the us. gov. that they have a transmitter that the xtal can be changed without changing vital parameters , like sideband speading , then they will be the first to do so.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:50 PM
KINGX

In fact it is very easy to change Tx crystals in a 9C module. There is tiny square plastic cover on the side of the module that you can remove and then stick it back.Sticky back material is already applied on this tiny plastic cover! Now how do you explain that? Is it there just to make "servicing" easier by removing "damaged" xtals or is it there to facilitate changing xtals WITHOUT changing the module itself?? Just a wild guess......No conspiracy theories!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:04 PM
KINGX

Furthermore, how do you explain the fact that it is ok to rotate two tiny flimsy dialers to change channels in a synthesized module but it is "against the law" to change Xtals in a regular module? How can one be sure that the dialers are 100% accurate? Are you sure that a mechanical action (rotating the dialers) can guarantee a non-mechanical result which is the change inside the module's electronic circuitry??
Old 01-11-2005, 05:57 PM
will

The dialers are mechanical rotary switches. They work well and are approved for use.

It's a mute point about what goes on in the USA. Our laws don't affect you. Change your crystal already and be done with it

Happy Flying.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 PM
laryboy

great advice . isint lucky that we have rules that manufactures must abide by. isint it nice that we know that every transmitter is working within the parameters the ensure us that our fellow flyer will not crash us. then come the know it alls who pick up some uncertified xtal off the shop floor and stick it into their xmitter and say " what a good boy am i ". then they go out and crash someone else.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 PM
exeter_acres

Seeing as Kingx is in Greece....

I can pretty much bet that laryboy will not be shot down by Kingx's radio

Why not just change the whole module so you know there is no risk of bleed through....

Have a friend who changed crystals on transmitter and rx to a less used channel....had glitches and issues...
switched back and all was good
Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 PM
KINGX

Larry,

I am only using Futaba gear and Berg receivers. Havent shot anybody down and i do not intend to do so in the future. OEM electronics and off the shelf products are definately a no no![8D]

The official Air Frequencies in Europe are in 35Mhz and 41Mhz. Though there are a lot of peolple in my country that operate on 72Mhz which is by experience the most "reliable" band.However 90% of the Transmiters on 72 are made by Futaba and guess what!? Module change is optional! Changing the Tx crystal will do the job