RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Berg 5 will JR Crystal work in it OK

Old 01-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Berg 5 will JR Crystal work in it OK

My LHS put a JR Crystal in the Berg 5 they sold me. I then see on the RC-Direct website that to use only Berg Crystals.

Do you think this is going to be OK JR crystal in Berg Reciever???

Thanks in advance, Dennis
Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Berg 5 will JR Crystal work in it OK

I don't think it will work. For the most part crystals are not inter-changeble from one OEM to another, however there are exceptions.

Simply try it and see, either it works or it don't. If it appears to work be sure and perform a rigorous range check to validate the integrity of the radio link.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:09 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

both berg and jr are both single conversion receivers therefor the jr xtal will work in the berg
Old 01-13-2005, 12:21 AM
mglavin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: laryboy

both berg and jr are both single conversion receivers therefor the jr xtal will work in the berg
Not true... OEM specifications for crystals are typically different. If memory serves me the oscillator frequency plays a factor. Its simply is not a gimme single conversion to single conversion application. As I noted previously there are exceptions to the rule.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 AM
laryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

who caes if OEM's might have different specs. what nonsense. does not a hitec xtal work in a futaba receiver ? i know that the jr xtal will work in the berg 5 because i researched it. the berg 5 is also shift selectable. if you know a make of xtals that wont work in the berg 5 then please post.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
mglavin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I mentioned there are exceptions to the rule. And yes Hitec and Futaba dual conversion crystals do work together or are backwards compatible. However this is not sanctioned by either manufacturer.

Do you have personnel knowledge of the JR single conversion crystals working in the Berg RX? Not research?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The JR Xtal seems to work fine in the Berg DSP5. But if you try it, it is wise to perform extensive range testing.

The caution about freely mixing Xtal brands is a good one. There is no common spec for the Xtals (the Xtal vendor builds to order). Besides the obvious issues concerning xtal lead and body size (some xtals have very skinny leads that won't make good contact in a Rx that need the bigger lead size), they also vary in native frequency, overtone mode, and capacitance. For example, if the capacitance spec is slightly different, the Rx's local oscillator may not startup reliably or could operate a tad off frequency. Those are not good things. It is best to consult with the radio maker. In the case of Berg's Rxs, Peter will be honest about using JR xtals in his products. Ask him directly.

RC-CAM
Old 01-13-2005, 10:48 PM
fiery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a Schulze Alpha 8 8 channel receiver recently.

It was supplied with a JR single conversion crystal. The vendor is a reputable supplier and would not
provide a crystal which was not suitable.

That said, the instructions warned against using non-schulze crystals, as they all do.

Schulze are linked to Berg. I think they may assemble his receivers but I am unsure. They may even share circuitry and components. Can anyone advise on this?

I feel certain that the JR crystal will perform fine.

fiery
Old 01-14-2005, 12:49 AM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Schulze are linked to Berg. I think they may assemble his receivers but I am unsure. They may even share circuitry and components. Can anyone advise on this?
Per Peter Berg: Schulze's license to manufacture Berg-designed receivers has been terminated as of September 2004.

Berg is now a part of Castle Creations. I would expect that they will be manufacturing the Berg designs in the near future.

As far as using a JR Xtal in a Berg, it would be very easy to just ask Peter. No doubt he will say it is fine, but why not get this sort of info directly from him? He designed the product. He may be reached at info*AT*bergent.net (replace *AT* with @).
Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They recommend their own crystals but I have flown one of the berg 6ch receivers with a JR crystal. I would do a good range check before flying but don't you do that before every flying session anyway?[sm=biggrin.gif]