RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Interference

Old 01-15-2005, 07:22 PM
f00sion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radio Interference

I maidened my formosa this morning, first flight was only about 5 minutes but went well. I swapped the battery out and took off again, but this time there were 2 other planes in the air, both on different channels. Almost immediately i was getting hit hard, flipped me over a few times, almost made it back to land but then she nosed straight into the mud from about 20 feet. Fortunately there was nothing that couldnt be fixed with a bit of ca so after drying I figured I would give it another go, there was still one other plane flying but I wasnt seeing any interference while I was on the ground. Mostly went ok but there were still a few scary seconds every so often when I definitely did not have control over the aircraft. On the last flight there were 5 other planes up, all on different channels, so I gave it another try. There were noticeably more hits this time so I just went around once and barely managed to land it. I bought the hitec laser 4 package that comes with the feather receiver, is this a sensitive (read: crappy) receiver or is it just the nature of the smaller receivers in general? Another guy there was flying foamies and wasn't having a problem at all.
You'd think with all the silicon chips and such they would be able to come up with one that didnt receive on every other channel! Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? It is basically tucked tightly in with one of the servos, do they create any noise that could be causing this? What is the best place for the antenna?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Radio Interference

Foosion,

A couple of things to consider.

1. The problem could be caused by interference from servos, however if this was the case it would normally happen all the time. From the way you have described it your problems only happen when other transmitters are operating close by. In general servo cables should be kept as far away from the Rx antenna as possible. If possible avoid running servo wires and the antenna parallel to each other as this maximises pick up.

2. Sensitive receivers are good not bad, but you need it to be SELECTIVE as well, ie to reject signals on other frequencies. Bear in mind however that the problem might not be your receiver, but someone operating a Tx that is off frequency.

One thing you could try is to get a couple of people to operate their Txs close to your model (with your Tx turned on also) to try and localise the problem. You may get some pointers as to which Txs or frequencies cause the problem.

Good luck

Terry