Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is a Gold sticker always good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Gold sticker always good?

I got some old radios in an auction, they have Gold stickers on them. My question is, are all stickers the same? Or did they use them before they came up with the updating change. Reason I wonder, it seems one has a date on it, from what looks to be 1986. I thought I heard once that if you went to an AMA event, you got Gold stickered. I was going to set my Nephew up with one for a park flyer if they are ok.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:19 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Is a Gold sticker always good?

There was two types of stickers, gold and silver. The only thing you can use now is a gold stickered radio if it is an old radio. The date on the sticker is when the radio was checked. If you look in the corner of the sticker you will see a very small number. That number is ther person that checked the radio. If it has 131 on it ,I stickered it after checking it. The new radios don't need gold stickers, they are narrow.

The sticker only has to do with the transmitter. Has nothing to do with the receiver. The transmitter could be '91 gold narrow (55 db down at 20khz off of center) but the receiver could be wide and can get "hit" by another transmitter.

Pete
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Both radios have stickers on them, one is gold, the other may be gold, or gray, it's sort of rubbed/faded. They are Experts, and the Rx are Dual Conversion, but don't say narrow on them. Who and how much for someone to check these out.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
sslayman
My Feedback: (14)

You say they are Experts? I'd say if they are FM they should be narrow by default but I'm going on what Futaba claims that all of their FM TX where narrow band from the outset. I'd be guessing that Experts where too! The only problem would be the RX's and if they are dual conversion then it might be OK! I'd look into getting them looked at by someone who knows whats going on with them. It always helps if you have someone in your club that can put them on a spectrum analyzer and look at what kind of signal they are putting out. You might try Mike Mayberry at Hitec. I believe Hitec bought out Expert or you could send it to Radio South and have them check it out. As far as I can tell the Expert radios where pretty good, but like any "old" radio you need to be aware of certain problems that can come up. Biggest problem being the batteries. If they aren't new in the last two years I'd replace them. Just my two cents worth...

Later...

Scott!