Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter Purchase

I'm looking in to buying a new TX. I have some very specific needs, and rather than going through every website I can find to get info, I figured I would post what I need here and see what folks know about:

Must have:
- FM, shift selectable (I have JR and Futaba RX's, replacement of either group would cost too much, so TX must do both)

- 30model memory at minimum. More is better, but if it can't do 30, don't mention it. However, TX's with either removeable storage or ability to store extra on a PC and load selected models as necessary are valid options.

- Frequency mobility. I'd prefer a synth, but inexpensive modules to allow 3-4 channels is required. (I'm mostly on 19 and 27, but have one or more on 30, 42, and 28 as well.)

- reasonable cost. I'm not really intersted in spending $1,000 for a TX. Under $500 is preferred.

Should have:
- basic mixing, including standard wing types, a "V-shaped" curve for knife edge mix, and at least 3 free mixes, preferably more. I don't do much mixing on most of my planes.

Things I don't need (but don't care if it's there, but don't want to pay extra for):
- heli or glider support
- pcm

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Default RE: Transmitter Purchase

Ok I'll bite.....
PCM is brand dependant so NO PCM radio will drive other receiver's brand.
30 Models is a bit toomuch for transmitters uinder $500

My best deal for you would be a MUltiplex EVO 12 around$ 650.00 following are its specs. The Royal EVo 9 is very similar but has only 20 model memory (for US$ 512.00) you can however store more models on a PC and download at will
12 channels
36 model memories
6 menu buttons for fast, direct access to main menus
5 function buttons, two 3-D digital adjusters for user
friendly programming
Detailed menu texts, selectable languages which vary
Comprehensive set-up and mixer facilties for fixed wing, heli
Sample model (templates) minimize programming effort required
Unrestricted assignments of transmitter controls, switches, and
servos
4 flight phases per model memory
5 timers (3 alarm timers + transmitter and model times)
Facilites for selective teacher/pupil training operations
8 model templates: Basic, ACRO, HOTLINER, DELTA, GLIDER, 4-FLAPS
HELImech, HELIccpm
One 6 cell, 1500mAh NiMH battery pack
One AC 60mA Tx, RX wall charger,
Comes with additonal black plastic toggle grips, 6-prong grips,
2 ergonomic grips, the grips have a switch and button to control
switches

Other offerings for under $400 dollars include the Airtronics RD8000 (10model memory) but shift selectable and the Eclipse 7, 10 model memory but frequency and Shift selectable.
So for your needs I still think the EVo is the way to go

Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you need is an Airtronics Stylus with the Acro card and 50 Model memory card.
http://www.airtronics.net/stylus.htm
http://www.gsal.org/reviews/stylus_review.htm
http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/StylusPR.html
http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/airtneat.html
I love mine
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM
NitroWoman

Look at the Polks Hobbies Tracker III. I have one on order and it looks like they should be available in March.
[link]http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.268336/sc.8/category.12/it.A/id.131/.f[/link]
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the new Futaba...it has a place for compac media like cameras use. May be you could plug in differant models stored on media? Capt,n
Old 01-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Montague

Which new Futaba are you referring to? Do you have a model number or something?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

You might want to explore the Hitec Eclipse Spectra Module transmitter. Selectable channels and a pretty solid radio transmitter. It will drive almost any receiver and is not very expensive. Not as fancy with the bells and whistles, but enough for Sunday flyers. I have been very happy with mine. The only thing I have done is replace the transmitter battery with a new higher capacity pack. This radio eats batteries.

JEB
Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 AM
captinjohn

Certified

Status: offline For the Futaba 14 MZ: more information will be forthcoming. For now you can check for updates at:

www.14mz.com
Old 01-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Montague

Riiiiight, like I'm going to spend that kind of money for the Futaba 14MZ. That's just out of the question. In my origional post, I mentioned below $500. More than 2grand is just out of the question in this lifetime.

The Eclipse is nice, but doesn't have the model memorys I need. If it doesn't have at least 30, or some kind of memory slot or memory expansion or something to allow models to be swapped in and out, it's out of the question.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:16 AM
captinjohn

Do a search on Google or whatever for web -sites where people that eat, sleep and talk about electronics. Tell them what you want. It may be possible to just add the port for a memory chip like cameras use. Could be someone is working on that as we type. If you do not want all the other goodies the super radios have...start searching. By the way, why do you need 30 model memory? If you can afford 30 models you can afford any Radio. Good Day, Capt,n
Old 01-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Montague

I fly combat. I fly a LOT of combat. I scratch build the airframes out of foam and plastic. They are cheap, fast to build, and to be competitive, I have a lot of them. We're talking maybe $20-$30 for each airframe, less radio and engine.

Engines are .25's and .15's, not exactly budget busters. Some of the airplanes use 2 configurations, same fuse with a differnet wing for differnet classes. Not all the airframes have engines in them at any one time (I only have about 16 combat engines that I picked up over the years), but engine changes can be done quickly at the field if a plane gets wiped out. So, I test fly a plane, save the config, and pull the engine and radio, and it's a nearly, ready to go backup, all software settings ready to roll.

Radio gear in each plane is a cheap 4-5channel RX, cheap $10 servos or more expensive HS-81 and HS-85, but 3-4 servos per plane (no rudders).

So, total cost, ready to roll per plane is around $200. So, for the cost of a single giant scale plane, I do, in fact, have 10 combat planes.

So, you see, I need lots of memory slots. But flying a $200 airplane (that requires no mixing, just expo, reversing, subtrim, and end point adjustment) with a $500+ radio makes no sense to me at all, never mind a $2000 radio. Shoot, look at all the gear I could have for that amount of money.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
captinjohn

How about this...Have a laptop computer and store all the data in it. (they an be found used cheap). I think( not sure) there is a interface for JR or? radios to store data in a home computer. Not sure on this. Capt,n
Old 01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Montague

Yes, the 8103 and 10x from JR have this ability, apparently. I'm not sure about some others. The 9303 might have the ability if used with some software from the UK, but I don't have confirmation on that for sure. The 8103 only has 10 models, which at most contests would be enough, but Nats and some other large contests would require me to possibly swap configurations at the field. My current laptop is probibly not up to the job (it's battery life isn't long enough for a full day at the field), but it could use an upgreade anyway. The 10x is probibly out of my price range.

But the big problem with the JR offerings is the lack of shift selectablity, so my "Futaba shift" RX's won't work with it. Granted that most of my RX's are JR shift, but I'd still have to replace something like 5-7 RX's.

The lack of frequency synth is less of an issue, I already have a couple of JR modules, and a new TX would come with one, giving me 3 channels to pick from, which isn't bad.

(I actually really like the 9303, it has 30 models. But the JR-Futaba RX shift thing is a problem)
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
captinjohn

Not sure, but I think a laptop should have a external power supply port. Find the voltage and get or build a nicad or lithium battery pack. Any 12 volt dc may work with proper adapter and polarity hook-up. Charge at the field if needed!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:42 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on all you have stated you need, the Airtronics Stylus (mentioned above) with a 50 model memory card, & without theacro card, will do exactly what you want. Plus it's so easy to program.