RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HiTec Optic 6 Tx Bug

Old 01-22-2005, 12:14 AM
CFIMEI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HiTec Optic 6 Tx Bug

Hi
I am experiencing an anomaly in my recently purchased Hi Tec Optic 6 Xmtr. I obtained it specifically to use the "Aileron Differential" feature which permits two channel aileron setup with the second aileron on channel 5. (Eclipse 7, which I also have, only allows channel 6 for 2nd aileron -- I got this Tx so I can use it with 5 channel FMA M5 rcvrs.) When you have activated this feature and run the aileron "sub-trim" down, when it reaches an arbitrary value, which seems to be related to the current throttle stick position, the entire transmitter locks up & won't allow any further programming or menu navigation. This includes total cessation of modulation of the RF module & ensuing loss of communication with the model!! This sub-trim manipulation typically would not occur during flight. However, if you do adjust the sub-trim to a value just above that which causes a lock up & then proceed to fly your plane & then, in flight, reduce the throttle to a low setting the Tx will lock up & you will totally lose control of your plane! The only immediate remedy is to turn your Tx off & back on. Not something most of us are expecting to have to do during flight! Note that this appears to occur only when the channel 5 setup is used & not under other program settings. I sent the Tx in to HiTec & they responded with a "gimbal recalibration" & assurances that I would not see this problem again. Immediately upon its return, I experienced the same problem!

Is anyone else using the "aileron differential" feature experiencing this or am I just the chosen one? I personally think its a software problem & this would be supported by reports of similar behavior from other users. HiTec graciously offered to send me a totally new Tx but if it is a software problem, only a code modification by their inscrutable Asian programmers would resolve it. I have noticed that the aileron differential feature seems to be an "add on" & does not have the direct elevator/flap mixing capability that the channel 6 aileron setup has so I think it's a last minute software addition & thus may not have been as thoroughly emulated & debugged as the other portions of operating code. I fly mainly 6 to 16 oz. electric planes that wouldn't cause calamity if the Tx shutdown in flight & by being cautious with throttle sub-trim can continue to fly in remote places until the fix is found, but this may not be so with other fliers.

Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2005, 12:25 AM
CFIMEI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HiTec Optic 6 Tx Bug

Deleted