RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 7c question

Old 01-24-2005, 01:46 PM
sp32
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default futaba 7c question

Okay here is the deal. I bought a futaba 7c and i hav en edge 540 with split servos on the tail. I could turn one servo around and use a y-harness. But i'm planning to use some sort of mixing. I never did this before. i want to use flaperons so i will use channel 1 and 6 for my main wing servos. what else do i do from this piont? do i use 2 and 7 for my elevators? that way i can mix in some stuf as well? What else could i do.

Dazed and confused<<<

shawnpierce32@yahoo.com
Old 01-27-2005, 09:57 AM
LarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: futaba 7c question

Shawn,

You will find a problem with the 7C that a friend of mine did, and I've also seen it mention in a report on that radio done by Anne Marie Cross.

The 7C doesn't make a provision for dual elevator servos. You can slave another chanel to the elevator, and reverse it, but you cannot slave the elevator trim to the second channel. Only one elevator halve will move with trim. Your only real options are to use a Y harness and invert one servo if the control geometry will allow it, or use a reversing Y harness and mount the servos with the arms going the same way.

Larry
Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a 7 c and that was a very interesting post. iam larry c also. go by laryboy
Old 01-29-2005, 04:29 PM
ceriverob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

I'm also have a 7C from Futaba and I need HELP from anyone who has programming experience with this radio and an Ultra Stick 40 from H9.

I'd follow the instructions detailed on Futaba's web page under "faq's" but they didn't work, I can not make the flaps to work together in sync, ailerons no problem at all, the only issue I'm having is with the movement of the flaps under any situation, air brake, crow, etc !

I really like this plane and would like to fly-it using quad flaps configuration.

Thanks in advance for ALL YOU HELP !!!!!

Carlos Rivero
Old 01-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ceriverob

Hi,

I'm also have a 7C from Futaba and I need HELP from anyone who has programming experience with this radio and an Ultra Stick 40 from H9.

I'd follow the instructions detailed on Futaba's web page under "faq's" but they didn't work, I can not make the flaps to work together in sync, ailerons no problem at all, the only issue I'm having is with the movement of the flaps under any situation, air brake, crow, etc ! Carlos Rivero
Carlos,
I flew an Ultra Stick 60 with flaps with the 7C. I got the flaps to work on a switch. Can not remember exactly how. Also got the airbrake function to work properly. I could NOT get the ailerons to couple with the flaps. Futaba sent me a note saying it could be done but I crashed the plane before I tried it. I have had a virus since then and lost the e-mail. Ask Futaba on line how to do whatever you want. I think they will eventually respond. I'm pretty sure that I did a mix of ch 6 to 5 for the flaps. Ailerons ch 1 and 7. Flaperons have to be on. Flaperon (or flaps) trim must be ON then set trim to 0 if you do not want the trim knob to work. This flap trim ON is one of the keys to making your set up work. I do not know why. I also know there is NOTHING you can do to make the trim move both elevator servos. The 7C is not that sophisticated. In the end, wish I had added another $100+ for the 9C.

If you do not get good response, send me a note and I will do my best to figure out what I did. I think I enabled e-mails so you can use that from the this thread to send me an e-mail.

Jim
Old 01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carlos,

In what channels to you have the flaps plugged into?

I found in setting up some mixes on the ailerons that if you had the second one plugged into channel 5 it wouldnt work correctly. For normal aileron usage it was fine but it wouldnt respond on mixes.

Where are you flying in Santiago? I used to live in the comuna of Huechuraba and I flew out by the airport.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 AM
ceriverob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,

Thanks for your support !!! I've already sent an email to Futaba asking them how to program my radio to fly the UltStick with all its functions, I'll anyway try what you mention and explore several alternatives to see if I can make it work, sure later today I'll try harder to make it, if I find the right porgramming I'll posted here, since I've already found some other people suffering the very same problem !!!

As you I'm also kind of disapointed for not having bought a bigger Radio, but in the other hand this airplane (Ultra Stick) needs only 7 channels to fly right using all its features, and that's the Radio I have.......so I'm even more disapointed with the Radio performance, this actually makes me think that a JR Radio may be better ! Don't know for sure.

Thanks !!!!

Gringo Volador,

I'm using channels 5/7 for flaps, 1/6 for ailerons, I'll for sure try using channel 5 for ailerons later today, as far as the place were I fly it is also very close to the airport in Huechuraba, it's the airfield of Mirax Hobby Store located in Santiago, specifically in Apumanque Mall (very nice store with excellent prices) !!! I'm now in the process to move to the States, I believe this will happen during the next 3/4 motnhs (work related move) so I'll need to look for the closer airfield in Fort Lauderdale (which is were I'm planning to move to.

Thanks for all your support (both) I'll post all my findings soon !!!!

Carlos Rivero
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carlos,
Sorry I didn't check this thread sooner. I am almost sure that you have to use channel 6 for flaps. Don't think 6 will work right for ailerons. The airbrake function assumes flaps master is 6 and ailerons master is 1. I don't know what problem there might be using 5 for the second aileron. The radio has a built in feature for second aileron and it is selectable between chan 7 or 5. Since there is no question chan 7 works, use 1 & 7 for ailerons, 6 & 5 for flaps. That is what I used.

If memory serves me, I simply did a p mix with 6 master, 5 slave on some switch (d i think. doesn't matter except not G) for flaps. Then flaperons on, flap trim on, set to 0, then use the built in airbrake function to set that up. I think I had to do a second mix of chan 6 to 5 on all the time for the flap part of the airbrake to work.

I had a lot of fun with my ultastick before a case of dumb thumb turned it into matchsticks.

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 08:42 AM
laryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

heritage , you seem to have a different 7c than mine. this question was answered perfectly and now you have unanswered it. wing servos are plugged into ch 1 and ch 6. elevator setup already explained. air brakes...flaps... he didnt ask any question about them.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:51 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,

I just setup my 7c on my USL last night. What I did was to set the flaps and airbrake to switch G. When the switch is up the airbrake function is activated. When it's in the middle position the flaps and airbrake are disabled. When it's in the down position the flaps alone are activated. I don't think I will use the flap to elevator mix. The 7C CAN NOT do the aileron to flap mix.

You do have to enable the flap trim, but I set it to 0%.

I have the ailerons on 1 and 7, the flaps are on 6 with a reverse Y, and I'm using 5 for my remote ignition switch.

There's a FAQ on the futaba web site on how to setup the 7c with a four servo wing. I didn't use it, but it tells you the limitations of the radio and gives you a good idea of how to setup the functions that it can handle.

If I had the 9C I would set it up the same, except that in the middle switch position I would activate the aileron to flap mixing. I've got my eyes out for a good deal, but I'm happy with the way I've got my setup.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance,

Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
laryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok .ailerons on 5 6 or 7. got it
Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems to me he asked all those questions in post #4. He also said he was using chan 1 & 6 for ailerons in his second post. That won't work if he wants to do crow/airbrake or just use flaps. At least I don't know how to make it work that way and don't know why anyone would want to do it since the radio is set up for the second aileron chan to be 5 or 7. I assumed Carlos just made a mistake with his channel assignments.

In any case, just point out where I am wrong if I am. I would be happy to correct any mistake I made. Always willing to learn from someone who knows stuff I don't now.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

When the switch is up the airbrake function is activated. When it's in the middle position the flaps and airbrake are disabled. When it's in the down position the flaps alone are activated. I don't think I will use the flap to elevator mix. The 7C CAN NOT do the aileron to flap mix.

You do have to enable the flap trim, but I set it to 0%.

I have the ailerons on 1 and 7, the flaps are on 6 with a reverse Y, and I'm using 5 for my remote ignition switch.
Chris
Similar to what I did except I did not have a y reverser so used a mix for flaps. Did not have a remote ignition switch.

I was not able to do the flap to aileron mix. Futaba sent me a note telling me how to do it but I never got to try it and lost the note to a virus. You know for a fact that it can not be done?

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 PM
laryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i dont see any post #4. my radio was set up for ch1 and 6 for flaparons, but i just learned that 5,6 and 7 are selectable. if there are more posts than what i see please disregard my comment
Old 02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
ChrisAttebery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-7c-q774.html

"Yes, but while you can use it with one such as the Ultra Stick, it is somewhat limited and not capable of full span ailerons."

Read up. There's some decent info on the futaba website.

Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pretty clear on that FAQ. I read a lot of stuff but it was several months ago. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:10 PM
ChrisAttebery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW: I didn't use their instructions to setup the radio. All I did was enable the AIRBRAKE mix and assign it to switch G up and used PMIX1 to drop the flaps when switch G was down. It was actually pretty simple to do.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is what I did also. I read the detail from Futaba about how they did it and I could not figure out why they were doing it that way. Especially using 1 & 6 for ailerons. The radio and the manual make it clear that the second aileron is either 5 or 7. There is a note in the airbrake section if memory serves me that says to use the airbrake for flaperons when you don't actually have flaps and that only works on switch G. Is that how you read the manual? Your way is what leads me to the conclusion that chan 6 & 5 should be flaps (or y reverse) and Ailerons are 1 & 7.

I have done similar setup on my Funtana and UCD. Don't use the real low throws defined by the Funtana. I set 3D throws on G up. Normal throws on G middle then duplicate the normal throws on G down and add flaperons (via airbrake) on. I like it because I can then use D to mix spoilerons with the elevator for elevators and harriers and B to mix elevator to rudder for KE. Neither the Funtana nor the UCD really need flaperons for much of anything but it is fun to do. With flaperons they will both land about walking speed, especially the UCD. I am going to add a mix of flaps with elevator for tight loops but they already do them as tight as I want right now, especially the Funtana.

So far the 7C will do most of what I want. I think the biggest missing piece for this radio is that when you do a mix like for dual elevator servos that trim only works on chan 2, not on the slave channel. Seems like pretty simple programing. Probably an artifact to make the 9c the radio of choice. After all, it works on the ailerons. A few up and downs and I got the trim right manually but I am going to switch to a y reverser so I can trim it when I want to.

Overall I like the 7C but am sure I will go to the 9C in the future.