Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

14 year old (new) AM futaba radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:50 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 year old (new) AM futaba radio

Found someone with a 1991 gold sticker AM futaba radio they will sell. This radio is brand new w/3 servos. Keep in mind you will have to replace the batteries. What should someone offer him as a fair price?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 14 year old (new) AM futaba radio

Lots of pitfalls here, may or may not be OK and not enough info to decide. First is this radio being offered face to face by someone you know or is it something off Ebay? Since you did not say what model so I am going to assume its probably a four or six channel AM conquest and yes those sold after 1991 were narrowband and those sold before could be sent to a narrowband station to be narrowbanded. Even some big model shows you cold narrowband the Tx's at. Heres the rub, FCC only cared about the Tx and many only narrowed the Tx. Rx's could not and had to be replaced with a narrow band Rx. Therefore if this the case you were still subject to all sorts of problems but your transmitter would not affect others. In both cases either pre 91 narrowbanded and post 91 narrowband AM units were identified by that gold sticker. But and this is a big but, do you know which it is and is the Rx truly a narrowband Rx. If the receiver says Dual conversion this is a good indicator that it is but not in the case of all models.

Another problem, is this Rx set up for the Futaba 'G' plug or the current 'F' plug. The changeover occurred sometime around there. The plugs are not interchangeable and must be changed out or hard to locate adapters used to make that Rx compatble with modern servos, switchs etc.

Another thought, I have seen in some cases Tx's that had shown up at the field that were not even capable of narrowbanding but still had a gold sticker and when the poor folks were advised such go away only to see that same radio show up at the field later with a new bright eyed owner only to continue to be disapointed. have seen this sticker pilfering on a number of occassions.

If it is a Conquest four or six its a very plain radio with no modern features everybody wants with the only exception of servo reverseing and dual rates in the case of th six channel.

If you are a newbie stay away from some of these 'bargins' untill such time you know the right questions to ask and only if you are dealing face to face. The prices of far more capable units are at an all time low new and its foolish not to go new when starting. You read of these problems all the time on these forums

John
Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
BillPTC

I have two AM Futaba radios still in service. 6 and 7 channel Gold case. You can get coverter plug extensions G to universal or new Futaba from MPI. I have had no interference problems with my AM, Major problem is finding AM Rx.
After you convert and may have to replace batteries your can get a new 4 channel for under $150.
My 2 cents
Bill
Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another problem, if the batteries have been in it since it was new and it leaked, it would be a mess inside. Have seen that happen. Doesn't often, but it makes a huge mess if things inside get corroded. If you can get it for under $50, maybe, but it will take $50 to $70 worth of batteries, and then you still have an old radio. For not much more, you can have brand new. Why waste the time and chance throwing money away to see if it works when you can get new, or almost new for the same money. You could find a nice working radio used for $50 to $75 every day.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 AM
CHRISTANEAGLE

Thanks for the info guys, the radio is an attack 4 channel. It has the current F plugs and I know the person that has the radio he bought it from someone who got it as a gift years ago and never used it. The radio has never been used and was still in the box.The radio and the rx both have a round sticker that states it is 1991 certified.The rx is very small and only has room for four connections plus the battery.Another oddity is there is no socket in the back for the trainer cord.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

No more then $50. If you need bats, try Batteries PLus they will make you a new pack. Dennis
Old 01-25-2005, 11:45 PM
pnslcs

Here is my view and only mine. Buy a new tower or futaba 4 channel FM radio and go fly. My son recieved a plane and a 4 ch attack from my father in-law this June. By the time I got the batteries and such assembled it was a pain. In my situation the whole deal was free, so it was worth my time and money.

Patrick
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The attack was a $99 when new. I would pass on the deal at any price. It wasn't a great radio, and has no buddy box. It is a very basic 4 ch radio, and with the price to put batteries in it, you would be way ahead to buy a good used radio that you don't have to mess with, or spend a few extra dollars and go new.

I wouldn't buy it or spend the time and money to put batteries in it. Its old technology. It will cost you almost as much to put batteries in it as it will to go with newer stuff that is up to date and not obsolete.