Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MY HITEC HS-605 BB PROBLEMS CONTINUE

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY HITEC HS-605 BB PROBLEMS CONTINUE

HI
I AM looking for your personnal experience with HITEC HS-605 BB servos
my experience is that these servos stop working or work very very slowly AFTER NOT BEING USED they are 8-10 years old and used very very littleunder 15-20 flights ( my 1/4 scale planes i fly seldom ) i am flying RC for 20 yearsi have 5-6 planes i fly alot from my early flying days that have 300 to 500 plus flights with no servo problems at all-,they are FUTABA servos
my good fortune is that i found the servo problem ON MY BENCH-4 servos have done the same thing ( VERY FRUSTRATING taking the plane out of service until it gets repaired )
when sent back to HITEC -i was told they had discontinued the servo (i had just recently purchased them from TOWER when the first went bad ) so i was very surprised when i received there infoHITEC would only replace them at a SLIGHTLY REDUCED price for another of there servos
this customer service is VERY LESS THAN ACCEPTABLE !! as they obviously discontinued the servo for its very poor performance
i feel they should have replaced the servo FOR FREE under these circumstances so much for quality customer service from this organization
i opened this thread to HEAR FROM ANYONE with a similar experience or worse -lost a plane due to the 605's going bad -as i cannot be sure just how wide spread the problem might be without some feed back
my problem has just reoccured as i am preparing a 1/4 scale plane to fly after about 5 years of sitting still -as far as i am concerned a servo ( and all other RC equipment ) stays new if it is sitting and not being used-as all my other servos have
THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU HAVE 605'S IN A PLANE WATCH THEM CAREFULLY OR REPLACE THEM-AND DO NOT BUY THEM USED AT A SWAP MEETs BEWARE SO THEY DO NOT CAUSE YOU THE GREAT DIFFICULTY THEY HAVE CAUSED ME-ENJOY BEST REGARDS -TONY
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: MY HITEC HS-605 BB PROBLEMS CONTINUE

How long have they been sitting? I have used them on and off with no problems. I am in a somewhat humid salt air enviroment in NY which Iam sure does not help.

Maybe opening them and spraying with CRC would help but check with Hitec first for sure!

Good luck.

Jim D
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i have one that i have used from time to time. I took it out the other day to check on using it and it was not feeling smooth. i moved it a few times by hand only to have it jamm up. Its was working great when i took it off and yes mine say for 3-5 years also.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

The HS-605 was discontinued in 2004 and replaced by thte 635 which is what you were sold last year to replace the bad 605 which had a damaged amplifier. The 635 is the Karbonite gear version of the 625/645's which we have sold well over one million units.

Sorry you feel you were mistreated but without a receipt on a servo that was discontinued over 5 years ago, the 2 year warrantly would not apply.

Mike.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI
I AM looking for your personnal experience with HITEC HS-605 BB servos
my experience is that these servos stop working or work very very slowly AFTER NOT BEING USED they are 8-10 years old and used very very littleunder 15-20 flights ( my 1/4 scale planes i fly seldom ) i am flying RC for 20 yearsi have 5-6 planes i fly alot from my early flying days..................
Jeepers Wally, I think the warranty is up!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 AM
tony0707

HI MIKE MAYBERRY
THE PURPOSE of this thread is to see just how many other people were MISTREATED by HITEC regarding the HITEC SS-605 BB SERVOS i know the warranty period was over( I think i bought these from TOWER after they were discontinued -shelf life ) do you think or justify 20 flights on a servo to be a reasonable useful life ? when i have had 500 flights and still going strong on others brands , with no issues -i have a few planes that took more than two years to build-so what does your warranty do for me then ?-we are talking extremely short lived servo life here-that is not acceptable under any conditions ,even a two year warranty-when the servos are sitting idle , much more than they are being used ,own up to putting an inferior product on the market and then squirming out of your responsibility to stand behind it- the 605's are designed for larger planesthat i choose to fly SELDOM-they are expensive to build and fly-so when WILL my other HITEC 605's fail ( unknown ?? ) and continue to cause me expensive greef ? just because your warrantee is over does not mean my greef with your product has come to an end - SO FAR FOUR OF THE EIGHT 605'S HAVE FAILED THE SAME WAYSITTING IDLE !! TONY
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI MIKE MAYBERRY
THE PURPOSE of this thread is to see just how many other people were MISTREATED by HITEC
Well I'm happy to say you won't find many people. We are known for having one of if not the best service in the industry. Obviously you cannot please everybody all the time but Hitec is a company that has gone out of it's way to provide the best service for it's customers.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
tony0707

hi

I did NOT open this thread for HITEC to tell me how great there customer service is - I will leave that to the people who buy and use your products,including myself THANK YOUTONY
Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had any issues with Hitec's customer service. They've always been pretty helpful to me.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
JIMF14D

Same here on Hitec support, prompt, professional and very reasonable costs.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
tony0707

HI
AGAIN the thread is about problems with HITEC HS- 605 BB servo USERS- i am past the issue of weather HITECS customer sevice is good or bad i agree to disagree on the subject from my experience TONY
Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some HS-605BB servos that I know are 9 years old and they are still going strong. I have owned Hitec and Multiplex radios in addition to various Hitec servos and I can say without fail Hitec service was VERY prompt and professional.

Pete
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

I had a low time 605 fail at full right rudder on one of my $ailplanes. Luckily I was able to save the plane. I removed the remaining operating 605 and threw it in my junk box.

Jerry
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

I checked in my box of servos, and found 4 of the 605's. I checked them and they all work good. Knowing that they are 10+ years old and don't know full history, i would probably not use them for anything critical (aileron and elevator). I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find guys that have had problems with servos from every manf, that's why they make new ones. If your problem is with Hitec service because they won't give you free servos, good luck with that. i've had nothing but good luck with all Hitec products in my 45 years of flying, and that includes many rx's and servos in planes that are 20+ years old and still going strong. Also, YELLING at people trying to comment does not help -
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM
tony0707

HI

to quote my hobby shop owner in LONG ISLAND NEW YORK "did you ever see a FUTABA 148 servo fail in 20 years of flying ? " MY answer was NO !! and so was the shops owner we are taking high volume sales and experience at this shop in SEAFORD LONG ISLAND -i have had the good fortune to fly with some extremely talented people in this hobby (some aeronautical engineers from GRUMMAN- SPERRY ,LONG ISLAND is the cradle of aviation ) some of my fellow RC's were building space shuttles during the week-i would also like to add -i fly a lot more than the average person in my 20 years of flying RC so handling equipment and experience in RC varies greatly based on the number of hour you have put in in the 20 years-so i think i have the right to call a less than satisfactory servo ( a HITEC HS-605 bb ) just that -, that is my .02 cents -.this tread is to see just how many others have had the same issue with this servo lets not forget this situation puts your entire investment in a given aircraft at a great risk of loss,were not just taking about the cost of a servo but the loss of a substancial investment in time and money- that can never be made up for in the replacement of an RC component-especially in a plane it has caused to crash-TONY
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

If I remember right the 605 were nylon gear and the 645 were metal gear. Why would anyone use nylon in 1/4 except to save money. your argument about being new just because they sat in your shop for all these years doesn't hold water.
This is a popcorn thread. Dennis
Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
MikeMayberry

Again, we are talking about a servo that was discontinued in 2004. Let's not forget that it is up to the user to decide what level of servo to put into their model. I always preach that it is important to choose the right tool for the job and you should consider all factors when choosing a servo for your application. Some of the factors are:

1. What level of pilot are you?
2. What type of model is it and what are you looking to get out of it?
3. How much time and money (or emotions) do you have invested in this model?

These are important questions to know what to choose. Will you notice the difference between a sport level servo like the 645 vs. the coreless motor 985? If you are a higher level pilot and want a lot out of your model then the answer is yes. What about the digital version? Again yes, but for sport flying a warbird probably not. However, there is a reason that one servo costs more than another, so are the more expensive servos ultimately more reliable? The answer is yes, they use higher end components including coreless motors that can handle more demanding applications. Will you notice the difference, some will some won't but when you consider the investment, I feel it is always wise to use the higher end servos in larger planes that you have a substantial investment in with either time, money, emotions or all of the above.

That's my little servo 101 clinic, use it for what its worth, and know that Hitec builds servos at all levels and stands behind them with some of the best customer support in the business. But there is a limit to what we can do after the warranty has expired. In most cases we offer a discount on purchasing a replacement which is what we did for Tony by selling him an HS-635HB for $18 so he wouldn't have to spend $30 on a new one. Most manufactures just tell you that you're SOL and you need to buy a new servo at full price. I don't think that was unreasonable considering the age of the product, but the fact is... you can't please all of the people all of the time. Sorry Tony, I wish you luck with what ever servos you choose in the future.

Mike.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
tony0707

HI MIKE MAYBERRY

THE info you gave me in your 101 clinic is just lip sevice to me -all those factor were considered as they should have been at the time of the build-I choose my equipment carefully -the HITEC 605 servos i chose to useby there specifications should have been adequate to do the job they were designed for,as i said - the servos motor started to turn unreasonably slow -after just sitting still on the first one - and others just stopped working,of four that went bad ( i purchased eight ) found this on my bench when preping the plane for its next outing -WITH LESS THAN 20 FLIGHTS ON THE PLANE- i have never had any other brand of servo stop working in my 20 years at this ( on the ground or in the air ) you seem to think because you replaced one servo for 18 dollars you have no other resposibility but another just failed on me before i posted this thread -there is nothing you can tell me to justify the relibility and use i got from this product and the frustration it has caused me , and contiues to cause - your warrenty is over but my frustration and headaches CONTINUE with the attempted use of HITEC 605 SERVOS- I WANT TO BE SURE THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING AND THE RESULT IS POSTING THIS THREAD HITEC has made there position clear and i am looking for nothing from them at this time-but it does not mean i have to like there position on the subject of there 605 servo line- JUST BAD BAD BIG BUSINESS do not get me started on there mini 535 RX that JUST DIES while sitting idle-and they justify that the same way they do the 605's-TONY
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I've used a ton of 605 servos over the years, never had a problem with any of them. Hitec is just like any other progressive company, they improve their products, and discontinue those products that are "obsolete".

As to Futaba 148 servos, if you've never seen any go bad, come to my shop...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
MikeMayberry

The 535 was discontinued 12 years ago and replaced by the 555 which was then discontinued 6 years ago and replace by the Electron 6 which has since been discontinues and replaced by the Neuton 6.

Mike.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 AM
K-Bob

OK I think I finally get his point.

He is merely alerting the modeling public not to buy any new Hitec 605BB servos.

Got it.

P.S. Could you if you wanted to? Nah.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

I'm still trying to get a free car from GM for the Vega I bought in 1975 -
Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

They were great cars?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 AM
tony0707

HI

I AM flying many other SERVOS and RX's that are 20 years old, and have not died while sitting idle !! -and yes these other manufacturers have had many product upgrades over the years-, so what is your point ,you discontinued your 605 SERVOS due to there SHORT LIVED unreliable service and replaced them with something new -and then use you warrantee to squirm out of you reponsibility to your customers ?
why do i think a few of the other posts here are people associated with HITECS business ?
yes i do not want anyone else in the hobby community to go through what i have with your 605 sevos or your 535 RX- we really need a lot more reliability and responsibility built into our RC product than these two item provide reliability is formost in preventing equipment failure-AND CRASHES but thats not your concern-RIGHT ? TWO
STRIKES YOUR OUT IN THIS BALL GAME TONY
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: ronwc

I'm still trying to get a free car from GM for the Vega I bought in 1975 -
Same here for the Pinto I had a long time ago from Ford. I wouldn't be caught dead in a GM though. [:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.