Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

buying a radio

Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
dragraces
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a radio

looking to buy a radio but i am not sure what to get. i've been in the sport about six months i have 2 three channel airplanes a aerobird extreme and a skyliner .also about 10 2 channel planes with a radio for each one of them.i would like to stay with electric but don't want to rule out glow planes.i think a 4 to 6 ch would be good. i like the idea of being able to transfer the eqipment from plane to plane.i would like to buy a complete setup radio receiver servos ect... any input would be appreciated on the best to start out with. thans jason becker
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Ernie Misner

Default RE: buying a radio

Hi Jason,

Take a look at the radios offered on Tower Hobbies website. You will have to match your budget with what looks good to you. A good place to start if money is tight is to simply get a basic 4 channel setup. The next step up from there will be a 6 channel radio that will have some computer abilities, like the Futaba 6XE. With the 4 channel radio, you won't have luxuries like end point adjustment, subtrim, and exponential. Let us know if you need to know what these terms mean. Best of luck you,

Ernie
Old 02-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Doesn't the Futaba 6 have only a few model memories?? Sounds like you could use a lot! I came back to the hobby and got a 5 channel computer radio from Hitec, the Flash 5X. After about a year I really wanted more features, mainly programmable mixing and more flexible switch assignments, so I got a Futaba 7C. I really think the Futaba 7C at about 150 bucks for tx only is a great deal.

Don't get a non-computer radio! For just a few bucks more you get the features Ernie talked about and once you setup servos with endpoint adjustment, subtrim (adjustable center) and dual rates or expo you just can't go back to the dark ages. Treat yourself! Plus many model memories (7C has 10!) are nice because you can get used to the same tx layout for all planes and not switch between different models, sizes, stick tensions etc...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 AM
dragraces

thanks guys my budget is around $500 for radio and plane i agree with buying a computer radio i plan on being in sport a long time im looking at the hitec and futaba radios i would like to have 5 or 6 ch as i would like to have flaps and maybe retracts also tax ck doesnt come for 2 weeks so i have time to look into it the im going to look at futaba 7 now sounds more like want i want i dont want to have to buy another radio in a few months

thx again guys
going to 60 taday here in cincinnati going flying will ck back later

Jason Becker[8D]
Old 02-06-2005, 11:21 AM
dragraces

i looked at futaba 7 c $249 anything equal to that for less $$
Old 02-06-2005, 09:12 PM
johnfly

I just bought a jr xp6102 239.00 it is very impressive 10 model memory,sub trims, end point adj., exp, 4 assignable mixes, and ..... you can assign the switch that u want for a particular function. I was looking at the 7c but i am glad i changed my mind .... also i read in rcu somewhere " i will look and try and find it" that the 7c has a program glitch that when using 2 servos for ailerons you will lose one when the timer (if used) reaches 0....... made me wonder what else wasn't quite right ???????
anyway i flew the 6102 the day i got it also set it up on 2 planes at the flight field.... but in all fairness this isnt my first jr radio so i am pretty familiar with how to program it...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:28 PM
johnfly

sry for the delay.....lol.... heres the link and a whole lot of discussion.... some good but mostly bad.... well look at it like this "all of this info is free"...... Happy Flying.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Issu...2256659/tm.htm