RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which of these two receivers would you use?

Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which of these two receivers would you use?

Which of these two receivers would you use and why?

Here is the plane: Kangke waco, with ZDZ40, TME smartsmoker pump, nine servos, switch, and battery pack. Also in the fuse are the ignition, ignition pack, smoke pack, and alot of servo wires and extensions. In other words, lots of stuff that can cause interference at any given moment.

Here is the radio: Futaba 9CA

Now to the question: I have a futaba PCM receiver (8 channel) and I also have a Berg 5-DSP with the 9 channel expander. I want to know which receiver will tend to be less prone to glitching, signal loss, signals from other radios, etc, etc. Please base your opinion on experience- not something you have heard. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:16 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Which of these two receivers would you use?

It's probably going to be a close-run race between those two, both of them offering the ability to reject short bursts of interference and providing plenty of range.

What may be your deciding factor is the failure-mode you want should you encounter levels of interference that are too great for the receiver to deal with and a lock-out occurs.

In the case of the PCM receiver, you have the option of allowing the programs to move to pre-programmed positions (failsafe). The Berg will continue to hold the last valid position for a few seconds and then simply stop sending signals to the servos completely.

I didn't include any Futaba receivers in my receiver shootout test but I did include the Berg and it does a good job of coping with interference -- sometimes better than PCM but sometimes not quite as good, depending on the nature and duration of the interference involved.

Another consideration is that the Futaba is dual conversion but the Berg is single.

The reality is that a DC receiver is somewhat less susceptable to some off-channel frequencies (interference) than an SC one.

The choice is yours but I'd probably go with the Futaba PCM unit if you've already got one sitting there.

If you've yet to buy either then you might want to consider something completely different :-)
Old 02-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good question, I have both and use the PCM receiver in my gassers. I'm not convinced that the tiny Berg receiver with the park flyer heritage has the same range as the Futaba PCM. I have seen better range with the PCM compared to the PPM but I never actually tested the range (with the gas engine running) of the Berg. Does anyone really know if you can use a Berg in giant scale?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Accoring to Berg, you can use their receivers in any plane.

XJet, thanks for the info. I happen to already have both receivers mentioned, and, the PCM is actually already installed. I think I will stick with the Futaba PCM. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 AM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sbaugz
Accoring to Berg, you can use their receivers in any plane.
Yep, I've flown Berg-equipped planes to the limit of visibility with no problems at all.