Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4.8v vs. 6.0v, is it a no-brainer?

Old 09-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8v vs. 6.0v, is it a no-brainer?

I would like to get the most oomph out of my servos. I'm using an Airtronics 92777 receiver and am wondering if I switch to 6.0v will there be any downside other than the extra battery weight (which shouldn't matter in an 11lb plane)? I would like an 1100mah 6.0v, how will the standard Airtronics overnight Tx/Rx charger work with this? Will it take 48hrs to charge? Can I use my Hitec CG-340 to charge them and if so what settings/charge rate should I use? Thanks for any info you may have.

- Joe
Old 09-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Joe B.

Default A couple more Q's

Will having a Y-connector affect the Rx or servo's any? For elevator I need two servo's and I need to use a Y-adapter, which will be at the end of a 24" extension. Will this affect their performance or burn out the Rx? Overall i will have 6 servos on this Tx so I HOPE I'm not loading it too much and this will the the only instance where there will be Y-adapters.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Going to 6volts will give you about 25% more power. The down side is that for the same loading, your batteries will be consumed faster. What I have found is that I get less loading at 6 volts and my batteries last me as long or longer than 4.8 volts. A standard wall wart will charge them it just takes longer. Visit Red's site for more information!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:37 AM
Joe B.

Thanks. Who is Red and where is his site if you dont mind.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:48 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Default Red is a battery wizard

If you want to visit his site you can get the link if you go to the battery/chargers forum, he is a moderator. His address is up at the top of the list of threads. I think it's www.rcbatteryclinic.com but you may want to check.

You may also want to repost this question there.

Dan
Old 09-11-2002, 01:18 PM
mulligan

I've also heard that a fully charged 6V pack will give some receivers/servos trouble- one symptom being jittering. Can anyone confirm/refute?

- George
Old 09-11-2002, 01:25 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default yep.....

Yes, I have also heard that "some" servos have probs with 5-cell packs (which are not 6.0v, but are rather 7.2v or so at peak fully charged, as you may know).

I have futaba and Hitec digital servos, and both work just fine unregulated with 5-cell NiMH packs powering them. futaba and Hitec reps confirm this. Don't know about the analog servos, though.

I don't believe the receivers care.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 6V

I asked Jack Albrecht of Airtronics at the IMS Show about 2 years ago about running 6V on their equipment and he said there were no issues.

I've seen alot of talk online about issues with 6V, long leads, jitter, antenna routing, etc. with other brands but have never expereinced any of that with Airtronics. I've done 6 servos on 6 foot leads with Y harnesses and gyros and other mulitple long leads with no problems. I've also laid the aileron and throttle servo leads in contact for over 2 feet with the 25 amp Astro motor leads on both wings of a model with no loss of range. I also run my antennas inside the aircraft and sometimes next to or between servos with no issues. With Airtronics, don't worry about the electronics, spend your time worrying about insuring you have good quality batteries.

OK, I haven't used digital servos or some of the newer high power servos, so I don't know about them, but I'd bet the same applies. On the other hand, I've bought about a dozen+ of their radios over the yeats from XL/Championship up through Stylus, all with the same results.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Joe B.

Good, I'm running Airtronics equipment and am glad to hear you've had good results with them.