Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Programming Woes

Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Crash Wilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Programming Woes

My personal thanks goes out to Multiplex for producing the hardest piece of gear to figure out that I have yet to encounter in my 1.5 years of E flight experiences...The Royal Evo 9 radio.
The manual seems to go everywhere but where I need to go, i.e. the most basic of radio functions, dual rates, expo, pos/neg shift and and basic model memory programming.
Way too much info on mixers, templates, flight phases and the kind of stuff that I might use in 5 or 10 years, but probably wouldn't.
I have a $500 albatross on my hands because I cannot figure out how to use the thing.
Man I thought I felt stupid when I was just trying to learn how to fly. Now I feel like a helpless beginner again. And yes I have found the civilian-written tutorial on the Multiplex website. Again, way too much info to digest.
I need a tutorial on the basics just to get up and running with the thing.
Anyone have any great ideas for this mentally-challenged intermediate flier?
HELP!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Programming Woes

Could this tutorial help: http://www.multiplexusa.com/Radios/S...20Tutorial.pdf ?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Crash Wilson

No...that does not get it done either. As I said in the orig post, that tutorial does not help. It contains so much information that is not the basics of how to grab the radio, turn it on and actually do some simple programming to get underway with the thing.
Very frustrating.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 AM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Crash in january 2005 AMA Magazine jim ryan did a reveiw on the multiplex evo.Second question,"Why did you buy such a fancy radio if your still just a begginer?"For my first computer radio I purchased a Hitec Flash 5. Good luck,
stefanP
Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I've found that when there's too much information to digest all at once, it's far easier to take it in small portions. Basically, nobody's forcing you to read the manual an entire chapter at once. Go section by section, or even page by page, or even line by line.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Crash Wilson

As I said in original post, I have been flying for about a year and a half. I am not a beginner anymore. I started with a 6EXA and then moved to an Eclipse 7. Had no problem grasping the programming with either one of those. I just cannot seem to find a logical starting point with the Evo 9 manual. I suppose the info I need must be in there, but my complaint is that the basics are buried under headings of Mixers, Flight Phases, Templates and 3-D Adjusters. I know that this radio does WAY more than I will ever need or use. I would simply like to start using the thing. [:@]
I will try to grasp the manual again and in the meanwhile I will hope to meet someone out here that knows the radio, for a little experienced assistance.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It's just about the easiest of the top range radios to program especially as the models become more complex, but the huge freedom does require that you make decisions and tell the radio things that the japanese decide for you and don't give you the freedom to choose - hence you need to do a little bit more work to get it started. You are having trouble because you are trying to program it the japanese way that you know from Futaba, JR and Hitec. Multiplex uses a totally different methodology that is very simple, but you can't program a japanese radio using multiplex methods and you can't program a multiplex radio using the japanese methods. Clear your mind of what you think you know and act as a beginner again, it is the act of trying to bring forward your existing knowledge of Futaba and Hitec that is sending you down all the wrong paths.

The overall philosphy is simple - assign the sticks to the functions, assign the servos to those functions, set the values, and fly.
Start with a simple 4 channel model, no mixing. Assign the servos in the sequence that your last radio did, say servo 1 is aileron, servo 2 is elevator and so on. Check that the model responds. If any need revesring, go into the servos menu, choose trv/rev and press the rev button. By now everything should be going the correct way. If you want dual rates, expo etc, these are parameters of a control, so go into controls menu, choose the control and set the value. The switch that will be used for d/r is chosen by which one of the 5 assignment lists you have used for this model.

Once you have got that 4 channel basic model working with servos going the right way, come back and ask the specific questions for what you want to program next and I will point you on the right track.

H
Old 02-13-2005, 03:46 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Crash Wilson

I know excactly how you feel,,ive got a Profi 4000 the manual sucks,,the guys that wrote these can't instruct or teach very well,,Harry is right,,once you figure out what to do,there fairly simple,,but im finding so many mistakes in my manual,,i dont even really go by it anymore.Like assigning servos,,in mine you have to turn the servo on in the programing to get them to output,,,but with mine,,you have to turn it off to get any output,,so im not sure whats going on,all i know for sure is the manuals are very very poorly written,,,once you figure out what there trying to tell you,,the programing is pretty easy,,and you can do lots with it,,try just looking for the very basic part of getting started in your manual see if that helps you any..once you start getting things figured out you'll love the radio,,but i know it can be pain to get started with.

Bob
Old 02-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Scott G

Crash,

How about you describe what you are setting up. I'm sure you could get some specific solutions to help you over the hump. I moved from an Eclipse 7 to the Evo 12 about a year ago as well. I had read the manual a couple of times and just played with the radio until it started doing what I wanted. Once you get a couple of model setups under your belt I think you'll come to see the value in your investment.

A little practice and it will all make sense... of course there is the saying: "If everything suddenly makes sense, you're in a cult"

Scott.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Crash Wilson

Hey Scott
Most of my airplanes have a similar setup. Neg shift; ailerons, elevator, throttle and rudder.
I use dual rates on all of the control surfaces, but generally keep them on low rates all of the time. I use quite a bit of exponential on the control surfaces as well. And as an electric-only flyer I like to time the flights with the radio, from take-off.
That's about it. Nuttin' fancy. Just basic stuff that I would love to be able to program simply into the Evo 9.
I know that on that fateful day that I get up and running with the radio, that I will love it.
Thanks for the response/info.
Crash Wilson