RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do you convert a Buddy-box?

Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Scotsman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do you convert a Buddy-box?

I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched as best I know to no avail.. Anyway, the question is this. I have a Buddy-box that is built for Hi-tech radios. Can it be converted to be used with an Airtronics Vanguard radio? Is it only a connector change and knowing the correct pin assignments? If so, does anybody have the pin assignments anywhere? Thanks for the time. This is probably old hat for you electronics wiz's, but for us mechanical pukes it's not so obvious when we can't see the lever push the arm....................
Old 02-13-2005, 12:31 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do you convert a Buddy-box?

Scotsman,

Go to this web site and read. This is the best coverage of buddy box compatiblity I've ever seen.
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/

John
Old 02-13-2005, 01:16 PM
olivier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do you convert a Buddy-box?

Hi,

Your main problem will be the channel assignment, which is different between Hitec and Airtronics. You will have to change some wirings of some potmeters in your Hitec-type buddy box as to obtain the same channel assignment as the Airtronics (see chapter 1, paragraph 1.6)
There could be a signal inversion, which is simply solved with a signal invertor (chapter 2)

JNorton said :
Go to this web site and read. This is the best coverage of buddy box compatiblity I've ever seen.
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/
Thanks, Scotsman, for the compliment. In fact, before I started to fiddle with buddy boxing of different brands, I have been desperately searching the web for information about it. At first it was never my intention to make a website. But as at that time I found nothing at all (altough the subject was in a limited matter expanded in 2 websites, which I found only later) I tough my info could be helpfull to others, altough my very limited knowledge of electronics was -and still is- a big handicap.
Olivier