Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 7C ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 PM
AirBorne_AZ
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 7C ?

Hello All,

I have been using a pretty old JR radio (JR Max 4) for quite a while, but now I need to use elevons and v-tail functions, so I am thinking of buying a computer radio. I have never used a computer radio before, so I am unable to compare the two radios just by reading their manuals. I am asking you guys because comparisons coming from users are much more helpful than just reading the user manual. I plan to keep this radio for some time. Please let me know what you guys think of these radios in terms of ergonomics, ease of use, functionality, programming options, Rx options and channels, battery capabilities, position of knobs, etc etc...

Also, is there any advantage going PCM or should FM be fine ?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 PM
CP140

Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 7C ?

I've only held these two radios... not really used them as I use an Airtronics RD6000...but here's my thoughts...

The Hitec will let you select which "shift" you transmit... so you would be able to use your existing JR receivers, and if you get the Spectra module for it, you can transmit on any channel. I don't think the Futaba has a module like that...(I could be wrong, there was some talk about it ) and I'm pretty sure the Futaba can't change which shift it transmits.

On the other hand, I've looked at the manuals for the two (online) and it seems to me that the Futaba is easier(more intuitive?) to program and it does seem to have a better display screen than the Hitec.

As for options/ergonomics etc...can't help you much...(I really like my Airtronics though...easy to program and can transmit either shift...if only it had the ability to change frequencies!)
Old 02-23-2005, 12:16 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Been using Prism 7X's four about eight years now and a single Eclipse 7 since they first hit the market and have been spoiled to the flexability those discontinued Prisms and the Eclipse which offer the synth module in concert with the ability to use both modulation shifts. That combination I will never agine be without. Can,t speak for the Futaba other than yes they may soon have a synth module but no Futaba Tx offers the ability to select shift and suspect not anytime soon. I have no issues with the user friendliness.

John
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM
rcted

I've been flying with a Futaba T6XA, which was my first computer radio. I have now switched to a Hitec Eclipse 7 with the Spectra module, and really like it. My main complaint though is not being able to put my dual rates on one switch, like I could with the 6A. I love being able to switch channels as well as shifts. Works great. Don't know anyone who is using the Futaba 7C, only held one once. I too have had a problem with the engine cut button location. But, it just may be I'm not used to it yet. With today's quality from both manufacturers, either one should be great.