RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec receivers?

Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
RichD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec receivers?

I am in the need of a new receiver for my Magic. The one thats in there now is a Futaba 127DF, and need to put it back in my LT-40, plus I can not physically use chans 5-7 on the 127DF because of how its mounted in the crapmed spaces of the Magic. I was going to put the 148DF in that came with my 9C radio, but I need it in my Extra 260. So here is my question...

How reliable is the Hitec Super Slim 8-Channel FM Receiver? I am ignorant about Hitec gear, except thier servos.

Any advice would be great.

thanks,
RichD
Old 02-15-2005, 10:34 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec receivers?

Hitec make some fine equipment. Their new Optic 6 is a very nice piece of kit and many of there servos are excellent.

However, when it comes to FM/PPM receivers they're trailing the bunch somewhat.

I recently reviewed a stack of modern FM/PPM receivers and although the Hitecs scored very well in terms of range and sensitivity, they were right down at the bottom of the pile when it comes to interference rejection and a few other important performance areas.

You might be advised to take a look at more modern high performance receivers such as the Berg DSP, FMA-M5/FS8, Sombra Shadow and others that offer a "smart" computer-based decoder. These computer-based receivers usually feature an acronym such as DSP, IPD, TSR in their name.

The Hitec receivers are fine for what they are -- it's just that there are a lot better ones available for about the same money and as our airwaves get increasingly congested, having extra insurance against interference can save you a model (or two).
Old 02-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Pilotsmoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love the 8 channel hitec receivers. Can't beat them for $50. Never had any problems with them.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:02 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have close to 20 hitec recivers and have yet to have 1 problem with any of them.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have several Hitek receivers. Never a problem.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:50 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

XJet,
I've got 4 Hitec receivers that have never missed a beat. I'm very happy with mine.
I recently reviewed a stack of modern FM/PPM receivers and although the Hitecs scored very well in terms of range and sensitivity, they were right down at the bottom of the pile when it comes to interference rejection and a few other important performance areas.
This is a least the third time I've read of your receiver comparison. You've whetted my appetite. Is there anyway I could get a copy?

John
Old 02-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rich, I am just going to through an idea out to you. Are you wanting to use the other channels? If so I recently read a post where someone gave instuctions on how to add 2 channels to a hitec 555 micro receiver. You solder an extension that then exits out the side of the receiver case. This would definetly save you some room and would probably give you access to the other 2 channels.

I havent had any problems with Hitec receivers either and would also be interested in the info comparing them with some of the other brands.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gringo Volador

Rich, I am just going to through an idea out to you. Are you wanting to use the other channels? If so I recently read a post where someone gave instuctions on how to add 2 channels to a hitec 555 micro receiver. You solder an extension that then exits out the side of the receiver case. This would definetly save you some room and would probably give you access to the other 2 channels.

I havent had any problems with Hitec receivers either and would also be interested in the info comparing them with some of the other brands.
His problem was different, a space vs. connectors issue.

I've had many HT receivers, cannot point to a problem anywhere. Like JNorton, I'd be interested in getting at a copy of Xjet's data.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-16-2005, 02:25 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm waiting for the arrival of a "late entry" in the line-up which replaces one of the existing units. The manufacturer will be getting it off to me as soon as it's available so that it can be included in the article. It makes little sense to compare their *old* version in this shootout so publication will happen as soon as I've had a chance to run this greatly enhanced unit through the mill.

As for the Hitec receivers, as I said -- they're very good for what they are but they are just a basic PPM/FM receiver.

Many people have no problems at all with them and that's great -- but I consider the new generation of computer-decoded receivers to be a bit like insurance...

You can go for years without claiming on your auto or house insurance and when this happens you might be tempted to think that it's just a waste of money. However, *when* you get hit (by another car, a house-fire -- or in this case radio interference), you will really appreciate the value of such insurance.

The RF spectrum is getting increasingly cluttered and although some people have never experienced any form of RC interference, it will happen sooner or later. Even if you're in the countryside miles from anyone else there's still the chance that a strong signal will travel by way of skip propogation from hundreds of miles away and shoot your plane down. In such cases, a little insurance (which actually costs no more anyway) can save a lot of expense and frustration.

There are still people who drive without auto-insurance and many of them never get caught out. Would you want to be one of those people though -- especially if it cost no more to get a good level of cover?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
RichD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I modified the fuse so I could mount my Futaba 127DF a different way, and all is well in Magic Land

If I do ever need to buy a new receiver (need to get my LT-40 back in the air for lazy sundays), I will probably get a HiTec.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:03 PM
udi maman
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love the 8 channel hitec receivers. Can't beat them for $50. Never had any problems with them.
i have 16 of the8 ch
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Ben Lanterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even though you guys have had good success with your Hitecs, and I have 10 of various versions in electric airplanes, you should pay attention to what Xjet is saying. I fly in the expanses of the middle of farmland and am quite confident of no problems.

However if I flew in my front yard or a school yard or all of the other in-town spaces that are being used I would seriously look at the more modern signal processing computer transmitter recognizing rigs. It is just good sense to do so.

Let your safe judgement be your guide, not what has been OK in the past.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:36 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ben,
I have been at least trying to pay attention.

Unfortunately after 3 hours searching on and off I have found the FMA unit is 5 channel only, and as such does not interest me. Berg has a 6 channel unit with an adapter for 8 channels. I've found 2 sites that sell the Berg unit one of which says they are out of stock. Berg isn't as readily available plus with the adapter it is priced $30.00 more than the Hitec Supreme.

It is really hard for me to change from using Servo Cities build your own receiver packs. I can specify the battery type and size and what type and the number of servos. It is really convenient. I fly 40 to 120 size glow fuel aircraft and as such the light weight of these units isn't the overriding factor it would be if I was flying smaller electrics.

Electrical interference can always be a problem - however I fly in a club of 20 members of which 6 is a good turn out. We fly out of Ludington Michigan which had a population the last time I looked of less than 10,000.

Xjet said "The Hitec receivers are fine for what they are -- it's just that there are a lot better ones available for about the same money and as our airwaves get increasingly congested, having extra insurance against interference can save you a model (or two)." They are not the same amount of money, but I'll guarantee you if I was flying out of the Basin I'd be using the Berg receivers. The congestion was one of the reasons I left LA 25 years ago.

As always what we choose for receivers will differ depending upon the environment we fly from.

John
Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Ben Lanterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very true, your environment sounds like mine. We are outside St. Louis but in the farm lands that might flood so no one builds anywhere near us for miles around (might have to do the back stroke some day though :-). I often look at the new receivers but haven't bought them myself, for the cost savings I can have another airplane fairly soon!

When they get cheaper and IF I see the need then I will convert, but I have over 50 models of various kinds from PicoSticks to a 1.20 Ryan STA and it would be an expensive proposition to switch !! But like I said if the circumstances of my flying site changes or if I am flying in the front yard in the city then it's a different proposition. There you can't afford to lose control.

Good flying,

Ben
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since Berg was acquired by Castle Creations they will be coming out with a couple new RXs... a 7ch and a 9ch. They will be smaller than the existing RXs and be made using surface mount technology. If Mr. Berg is designing them, I bet they will be the cats behind. I'm considering getting a couple for my IMAC airplanes... since I will be travelling to an increasing number of everts in various types of locations, I will be exposed to unknown EMI enviroments. Better safe than sorry!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Ben Lanterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

maybe if its the cat's meow but the cat's behind ...... I don't know.