Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec digital servos or programmers Please look!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 01:06 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec digital servos or programmers Please look!

Hi I was just on Hitec's website and they are reprogramming all hitec digitals made after a certain date. They are also upgrading a new version for the programmer. This has to do with the issue on the ATV set over 125%. If you send in the programmer, if you have one, you can reset the servo's yourself with the new version 1.03.

This may be old news but I thought I would share with people who didn't know. Thanks for reading!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:39 AM
easymoney

Don't trust Hitec servos anymore... very bad experiene in the past
Old 09-13-2002, 04:23 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Ummm....waht were these bad experiences? I have nothing but good ones. Mind sharing?

Azhar
Old 09-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

Default Hitec 5945MG

Hi, I just ordered 4 of these as aileron servos for a DPM Extra. Please expand on your experience with these as I have only used analog hitecs in the past. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:17 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default servo info.

Read about it here: http://www.hitecrcd.com/Support/servostatement.htm

Important Information Regarding Digital Servos

While Hitec strives to deliver high quality products that work universally with a wide variety of other manufacturers equipment we occasional run across a compatibility issue with products other than our own.

In light of this it has come to the attention of Hitec, that our digital servo product manufactured prior to October 2001 may act erratically when used with a non Hitec computer radio where the user has programmed the ATV settings beyond 125%.

As a result of this finding Hitec would like to extend an offer to all owners of our digital servos built prior to October 2001. If your servo has the following identification labels on it, they will qualify for this free reprogramming service.

The affected servos are labeled as"Modified" with the dates listed below:
APR2001
MAY2001
JUNE2001
JULY2001
AUG2001
You can return your servos to the Hitec service department for reprograming with the latest software version, or you can upgrade the servo software yourself, using the RESET function of the Hitec HFP-10 Digital Servo Programmer with software version, 1.03 or higher. This will "update" your servo and should fix any known conflict with the non-Hitec equipment.

Additionally any HFP-10 programmers that contain a software version earlier than version 1.03 can be upgraded free of charge by by returning it to our service department in Poway, California.
Note the bolded bit. If your servos were manufactured after August 2001 you'll be fine.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:22 PM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

There pretty tough to beat inmop. I have 10 of the 5945's, 1 5645 and 4 5625's. They do center perfect compared to like the 605 and 645's. The programmer makes the servo, imop. I have programmed several and it couldn't be any easier. What else can I say I like hitec servo's. Good Luck with your Dave Patrick.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:35 PM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks for the info. Mike the Hitec guy also responded. Thanks.
Bob
Old 09-13-2002, 11:56 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default Just to clarify...

The reporgramming is for servos made BEFORE the date, not for more recently made servos.

Someone above described it inaccurately...
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 AM
rc_zx6r_pilot

Default servos

I've got 8 hitec HS-5925MG servos in my hanger 9 cap 232. I saw the thing on hitec's website about the recall, sent all the servos in for the 2nd time (first all the heads were stripping) and got them fixed and one of the needed a new amp. I got the servos back on Monday after sending them in about 2 or 3 weeks ago and then, i put one in the elevator again, moved it up and down 2 or 3 times just to make sure it worked and it stuck at full up... This is not something you want to happen in flight, luckily it happened on the ground. I then called hitec and told them what happened and they said that they're going to send a new servo out and that i'm to send then the broken servo back. I'm wondering if i can trust these servos in my 33% plane.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:54 AM
easymoney

Let me clear up a misunderstanding for some people. If you buy something form one brand and they told you that they have good customer care and services and if anything goes wrong then you can send this back. I think this is a NOT a good indication of high quility of products of that comapny. On the other hand the company that does't offer any customer help/service is normally considered as its products will not be good. Just use your common sense... if the company offers customer services that means they have to spend less on quality control and more on marketing/service. On the other hand if the company makes high quality products it does't seem to offer any after service ideally...

Now take up the case of Hitec... If you buy the servos, they turned out to be defective and you send them back and after couple of weeks you get them while rest of you plane is ready and waiting... On the other hand if you buy something that is more reliable but little expensive but NO after purchase service required.... THEN WHICH ONE IS BETTER...
Old 09-14-2002, 01:25 PM
edge_fanatic

Default I agree....sort of

I agree, sort of.....

That is why I've used Hitec and futaba digitals....(futaba 9250,9252, Hitec 5945, 5625, etc) in my recent planes.

I've been happy with servos from both companies, and have never had to return any of them to either company.

Categorizing a company as either having good customer care *OR* good products puts this thread onto a track that doesn't include Futaba or Hitec. Both Hitec and futaba have *BOTH* good products and good customer care, in my opinion. although it is possible, I doubt that I'm the only one with that opinion, since both companies seem to be prospering in this down economic environment.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:53 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATTENTION! If you reset them let them sit with power for 15-20 minutes before you fly them to see if they jump and won't hold center. I reset my 5625's and on the next flight I lost my plane. Mike says there are no known issues however if you read the following thread there are at least 3 people with the same problems.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthrea...&highlight=5625

Sure Hitec said they would repair or replace the servo but what about my $500 airplane... Until they tell me different I am warning others of my own mishap to help prevent others from losing a plane.

BTW, my radio won't go over 120% so that wasn't what caused it. I simply reset them in case I bought a radio in the future and forgot about this problem. They worked fine until I reset them.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:26 AM
edge_fanatic

Default question

Are you saying that, if you have previously had power applied that day and turn the power off, when you turn the power back on you are recommending that the pilot wait fifteen minutes after turning the power back on before flying?

Wouldn't that be similar to going home tonight after flying, then powering up tomorrow?

I feel for your loss....and hope mine survives.

cheers!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:42 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

No, just saying to completely test the servos after reseting them before you fly, making sure there are no signs of glitches, centering problems, etc. Mine looked and worked fine until they warmed up then one went nuts jumping all over the place as if it couldn't find a center. It happens after the power has been on for a few minutes...

I know I have doubts about using Hitec servos again...
Old 09-17-2002, 11:08 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

David,

I think it is a good idea to bench check ANY new servo. I think Hitec is getting a bunch of bad press because they are selling so many digitals. Go back to when the JR digitals came out and read a few posts, they had the same issue. My guess is when any of these companies are selling so much product, there is going to be a more noticable failure rate. Multiplex and Futaba seems to be the only exceptions. Possibly because they are selling fewer digitals.

I am with you regarding the replacement cost of the plane. I've lost 3 planes due to servo failure. In each case the servos were new. Ironically, none were digital. I have a loss from Futaba, JR & Hitec. Hitec was the only brand that replaced the entire servo, JR replaced a bad gear set & Futaba said it wasn't their problem (although they offered to fix the servos for a price).

Mark M.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:51 PM
easymoney

Mark M.

You have justified my opinion of last post....

Thanks anyway...
Old 09-18-2002, 12:14 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Originally posted by MMallory
My guess is when any of these companies are selling so much product, there is going to be a more noticable failure rate.
I agree however if there is indeed a reason behind the failure then why isn't Hitec spending the extra time trying to find that reason instead of just repairing or replacing the servos. I am not trying to down the reptutation of Hitec but merly trying to find a reason for my own loss so that others don't follow in my steps. When one loses a $500 airplane on the 5th flight due to servo failure I'm more concerned with trying to find out why instead of just asking for a quick fix of the servo. Hitec may be good for repairing or replacing the servos but nothing they do will replace my loss.

In other words why would anyone put the same servo back into another plane without knowing what caused the first crash. To me that's asking to lose another and I'm not comfortable with that...
Old 10-13-2002, 08:32 PM
rc_zx6r_pilot

Default servos

I'd have to give hitec servos a thumbs down. Today, I almost crashed my 4,000 33% cap 232 (for the 3rd time and all because of the servos) because the elevator servos (two hitec hs-5925mg servos) have no holding power anymore. I turn the plane on and they kick in and you have total control over the surface but it doesn't have the 128 oz of torque it's supposed to have, you can literally move the servo to through it's full range of motion even when it has 2, 6 volt, 2,600 mah battery packs on it. I've had about 10 flights on these servos since i got them back from hitec for the 3rd time and they're already starting to go out again. I'm not sure if it's just problems that they're having with these servos, the 5925's or what the deal is but i'm going to give hitec a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:47 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Well I cut my losses and said bye bye to Hitec forever... I got four NIB servos back from them and sold them the next day. No more Hitec's for me... I'm going back to Futaba where I've yet to have any problems.

I will share a photo with you guys and this is from one of the brand new servos they sent me. They said these two FET's aren't used but I know someone who has the same problem on the FET's that are used... Could it be the cause of all our problems? Take the bottom's off your servos and see if you have the same kind of mistake in soldering.

http://www.********.net/images/bridged.jpg
Old 10-13-2002, 11:17 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Default OK--how about it folks--

My guess is when any of these companies are selling so much product, there is going to be a more noticable failure rate. Multiplex and Futaba seems to be the only exceptions. Possibly because they are selling fewer digitals.
Is there anybody else out there who have not had a problem with MPX digitials--if you have -- let us know--
Old 10-15-2002, 05:22 AM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Soldered posts could be normal...

WreckRMan2,

Has Hitec confirmed that the bridged solder across the 2 IC posts are in fact a mistake? I'm not saying that it is or isn't but I've seen a lot of printed circuit boards and some are soldered across posts as illustrated in your picture. It really depends on the pin out of the integrated circuit and it's designed function but this may be normal. Perhaps one of our Hitec guys can find out for us.

Thanks,
C.P.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:46 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

They won't confirm anything... I received 4 brand new servos and only this one was bridged there so it isn't a normal thing. It's a goof at their factory. They said the 4 FET's closest to the outside aren't used and the 4 closest to the inside are used so there should not be a problem. However, I know someone who had the two middle FET's bridged and Hitec has yet to respond to his inquiry. If I can find one with the two outer ones bridged and a friend has one with the two middle ones bridged then odds are some of these are leaving the factory with the two inner ones bridged which leaves me to ask, is this reason for the problems we are having? Hitec isn't gonna admit anything because if they do they are opening the door for people to file law suits for their losses deemed from their products failures.

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me if I sent it back they could easily remove the bridge if I was concerned with it. Hell I could do that but I'm more curious to see if anyone else has this problem on their servos and more importantly is that servo acting up.

The people at Hitec can call me an extremely vocal person and blame my loss on my own lack of ability to fly my planes but I know what caused my crash. I can't help it if I'm not willing to just let my loss go and forget it ever happened. Something was wrong with that servo that caused my crash and I'd like to know not to sue Hitec, not to be an extremely vocal person trying to start crap but to help prevent others from possibly losing an aircraft as well.

Unfortunately I'll never know if the servo I had was bridged or not because I sent it to Hitec before finding this out. I asked them to look and see if it was but I have yet to hear anything back, that is if they would even tell me the truth.

Hitec doesn't have to worry about me blaming them for anymore of my losses because I've made the decision never to use their products again.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:07 AM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

When you say "FETs" are you referring to Field Effect Transistors? If that's the case then is it possible that this IC is just a group of identical FETs? Some of which are used and some which are not. Does it really matter if FET #1 is used as opposed to FET #2 as long as they perform the same function? I've seen circuit boards manufactured at different plants that do the same thing but were put together a little differently. Perhaps the IC itself was modified, not uncommon, and the placement of the solder bridge is simply in a different spot. If it was a manufacturing defect, also not unheard of, then I would expect it to not work at all rather than fail over time.

I do have a background in electronics but I don't have the schematics for this servo. So please realize that I'm not taking sides, I'm just trying to understand the situation and remain objective. I'm in the market for a receiver and some servos thus I'm evaluating the opinions & posts of the members of this forum and others. I appreciate yours and I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks,
C.P.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:46 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I have noticed it mentioned in all of the posts concerning Hitec digital servos, that the number of failures brought to our attention, is small in comparison to the number of these servos that are manufactured and in use. Does anyone know how many of each model of these servos were manufactured? ( hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands )
What percentage of digital Hitec servo owners even post or lurk these forums? I would think a small amount. I have talked to good flyers that aren't even aware of RC Universe or any of the other RC related web sites. It is still amazing to me how many people still don't have or use a computer on line that fly RC.
When taking all of this into consideration, it would seem to me that a very small percentage of servo owners are doing the commenting. If you look back through the posts, a lot of the same people are the ones doing the commenting, good and bad.
What does all of this mean? I don't know, but just pointing it out.
I have two 5625's that I am going to use on my Delta Vortex for elevons. I have bench run each servo for about 45 minutes on a servo cycler with nothing bad showing up. I ran them fast, slow, with and without some load. Do you think that this would be sufficient to give these two servos the stamp of approval?
These two servos will be run on 6" heavy duty extensions, using a 5 cell battery pack with a voltage regulator.

Greg
Old 10-16-2002, 01:07 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hitec

Doesn't anyone else find it interesting that for five months Hitec made digital servos that would only work correctly with Hitec radios?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.