Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Computer radio channels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 10:53 PM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer radio channels?

Hate to come in here and show my lack of knowledge.Have lot of 4 channels and just got a futaba 6DA which I am using with 3 planes on that channel luckily all set up so don't need much changes.Thinking computer radio would be nice but don't understand ,can some of them operate on more than one channel?Or do I then have to have all planes on the same channel?This may be a simple question to many of you but it puzzles me.Thinking of one of the 8-9 Channel Futabas only because I have all futaba equip.How safe is it buying used computer radios?Should they be sent in to be checked out which would then make them even less competitive with price of new ones?
Old 09-15-2002, 11:37 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default Used Computer radios

Eagle1
I have purchased 3 Futaba Super Seven Computer radios from people on this site this year I have not had to send any of them in. All of them checked out well. If you have doubts about any radio send it in. It is very possible to buy excellent used equipment from this site and some junk also. If you decide to buy ask many questions check out the Karma points a person has it can give you an idea of how they have dealt with others. Not all have Karma. Also make sure you get an E-Mail and Phone number from anyone you would buy from. I don't know why but if they get squirrelly about giving you a phone number you probably need to move on. I have also bought a couple of engines and two planes and so far everything has worked well I have also sold some items here and those transactions went well also.

The Futaba 7U, 8U, 9C and 9z all come with modules that can be swapped out so you could fly on all the channels from 10 to 60 72mhz or if you are a HAM you could use any of the the 53MHZ channels. You would have to have the receiver chrystals to match also. I have 4 modules for my 3 Super Sevens.
Good luck!! KCFB
Old 09-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Hitec Eclipse with the Spectra module will operate on all USA 72 MHZ channels and will drive either positive (JR $ Airtonics) or negative shift (Futaba and Hitec) but does not support any PCM codeing. It will also hold up to 7 different model setups.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:05 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

It depends on the computer radio.

A computer radio is excellent for storing a number of different model setups. Depending on the brand and model, the radio can go from having 4 memories up to 16. It will save things like servo reverse, trim settings and any other custom programming (mixes) you make for each individual plane.

Now for the xmit frequency......
Again depending on the manufacturer and model, you may be stuck with one frequency or may be able to switch modules.
In general, if a xmitter has a crystal for tuning, it is illegal for you to swap it out for another channel.

If you have a radio that has frequency modules, you can swap modules and change your frequency. However, modules are pricey (50 bucks a pop) The hitec mentioned before has a special module (Spectra) that can be set for any channel between 11 and 60
Old 09-16-2002, 08:13 PM
KCFlyBoy

**********************Disclaimer****************** **
Spectra is not legal to use with Futaba equipment. That does not mean it will not work. Just that it is not approved to work with it.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:19 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

if you get a "dial-a-crash", make sure you check your channel before you turn it on. a very quick way to crash someone's plane, and ruin your day is to think you're on one channel but actually be on someone elses!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
SDR-Hammer

KCFlyboy, when you say the "Spectra is not legal to use with Futaba equipment" are you talking about a Spectra module being plugged into a Futaba Tx, or using a Eclipse/Spectra Tx with a Futaba Rx or both?
Old 09-20-2002, 01:58 AM
KCFlyBoy

Sorry I painted with the wide brush again. We are not allowed to use the Spectra module with a Futaba transmitter. You can use the Eclipse/Spectra Tx with a Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and JR if you use the positive shift Rx.