Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8UAP TX how good is it?

Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
jcaz72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8UAP TX how good is it?

Any of you guys with some experience on the Futaba 8UAP transmitter? How long it has been in the market (I know that it is discontinued now)? I am just moving fm my begginer radio (6EXA) and I am getting a good deal on a 8UAP transmitter in very good condition including the PCM receiver.

Is it better or worst than the new 7C radios that Futaba has released?[8D]
Old 02-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Bob101

Default RE: Futaba 8UAP TX how good is it?

I have one, it will do a lot of stuff. It's comparable in functionality to the 9C minus a few things. It's not as easy to program as the 9C in my opinion. Also it's not set up for triple rates. Other than that it's pretty close in funcitonality minus a channel.

If you can get a good deal in the 8U super I'd say go for it as long as it appears to work - or send it in for a check up after you get it.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I agree with Bob,
I owned the 9C for a year, sold it thinking it was too much radio yada yada. This year I picked up an 8U super and I love it. Does everything that I use to do with 9C etc.
Little harder to program than the 9C but the learning curve was a welcome challenge. I would buy it
Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 PM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

I've had my 8U super for about 5 years now, great radio. I also picked up a 9C about a year ago, although the 9C is easy to program at times it seems the 8U is easier for me. Maybe because I've had more time with this radio, anyway they're both great radios & I'm keeping them both. Never had a single problem with my 8U.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I've been flying with an 8U for a few years, no problems with setting up everything I need for pattern flying and quarter scale aerobats. The Futaba manual is OK, but the aftermarket books (one from Higley, the other with the orange cover) were both very helpful for learning my way around my first digital TX. There are some nice new bells and whistles on the more recent models, but a bargain priced 8U will meet 99% of the needs of an active flyer for programmable mixing at a fraction of the cost of the very latest from Futaba & JR.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also picked one up at a good price. Sent it off to Futaba for a checkup and to get a Polyswitch installed so I can cycle the battery without removing it. Love the radio would buy another. Programming is a challenge but the Edinberg ?sp book helps alot.

Pete
Old 03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
majortom-RCU

Yeah, that's the guy, Don Edberg, "Get the Most Out of Futaba 8-Channel RC Systems" published by Dynamic Modeling. This book helped me a lot, and I still refer to it from time to time.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: majortom-RCU

Yeah, that's the guy, Don Edberg, "Get the Most Out of Futaba 8-Channel RC Systems" published by Dynamic Modeling. This book helped me a lot, and I still refer to it from time to time.
Thanks for the spell check. I was at work and couldn't look it up

Pete
Old 03-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Geistware

Futaba came out with two 8U radios.
THe 8UAP and 8UAP's
The 8U's is functionally the same as the 9C. Get it, you will love it.
If it is the older 8U (no s) then I would recommend that you pass on it.
Not as functional as the newer models.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
majortom-RCU

Actually mine is the 8UAFS (also known as the "Super 8"). I would agree, if you're shopping for a used TX, I would look for a Super 8.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Bowser

I had two 8U's then sold them and purchased two 8U supers. Now I have two 9C supers and kept the 8U supers. The 9C has triple rates and two programmable curve P-mixes (I know how to use them however just 2 more things to fiddle with[X(]). All are easy to program and looking back I think I liked the 8U as well as what I have now. If the price is right, you won't be sorry. It is also a very light radio to hold.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Edge 540

It is definitely better than the 7c. It is more durable, and has more features. Go for it.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 PM
RChobby53

I've had an 8UAP since it first came out. Mine was a very early version. Its been and continues to be a great transmitter, no complaints at all. I made some of the "home built" campacs for about $4 each. I bypassed the charging diode with a single filament from a servo wire for discharging through the socket. I'd buy another in a second! Its done everything and more that I've needed. The mixing and switch flexibility is very nice. The only thing I wish it had is sliders along the left and right hand sides like the 9z.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Hughes500E

Would you be willing to share your info/location etc for jumping the diode on the 8U?
I have to take my battery out for charging/discharging etc.
I did a 6XAS myself while ago
Thanks
EDIT:
Wahoo, found my old link. Can't believe I still have it !
http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...ge=diode_sheet
Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 AM
jetessmann
My Feedback: (174)

I have both the 8uap and a 8uafs both are good radios and this might sound like dumb thums but be careful when you hit the down trim buttons on either side of the power switch, I went to trim some up elevator and hit the power switch instead, loss of one Laser 2000. I went home and changed the switches to toggle switches, the ones you have to pull up on to change postions. Never had anything like that happen before but just be carefull. You can also pull the power switch button off and still reach the actual switch to turn it on.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Maxime

Well the diffs between the Super and non super versions are as follow:

Airplane mode: The super has 7 prog mixes, vs 5, and these two extras are 5 point mixes.
better trainer function ( don't need to have the slave transmitter fully programmed) on the Super version (this applies to all modes)

Heli mode: CCPM mix added in the Super version, as well as gyro function ( both can be programmed in the non-super version, with a little help from the futaba website.... they describe how to manually program those mixes)....

Sailplane mode: No clue, never used it.

I have a Non super futaba 8UAP since 1997 and it's still an awesome radio. I recently got a 9C super radio, but only because I wanted two transmitter to control over a dozen planes.... would be a shame to be grounded because a transmitter needs repairs.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
sneezy

I've had one for about two years now. I recommend the Elburg book. This radio is everything I need for my heli's and planes. I run a 7 channel glider with crow, so I actually use it's programming intensively for that model.
This radio lives on, you can buy 2.4Ghz Extremelink RF modules to suit it and fly the 2.4Ghz band.
The 8U can be bought very cheaply now secondhand and is great value.

Martin
Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
noterman

(deleted by noterman)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
martinoto

Like Havinfun, I have an 8UAPS since 2001, and last year I got a 9CAPS, which I barely use. For me the 8UAPS is easier to program, but I guess that this is probably because it was the first I use for serious programming. Probably is as easy/difficult to program as the 9C.

Mine works perfect, and I am a very happy user of it. Also, the RF Module is a great advantage over the 7C. For instance, last year I exchange my fix channel RF module for a synthesized one, and in the future I can still upgrade it to a FASST module as well, without losing my programs.
You have to consider how deep into programing are you going in order to compare. In my case, all my planes have dual aileron servos, so I program Flaperons. And all have the flaperons as flaps in one of the three way switches, Flap to Elev mix, Elev to Flap mix, Airbrake, Differential (thru the Flaperons function)and TH-Cut. All of it is very easy, altough the manual wont be your definite source for help, Futaba FAQ is useful for programming, as well as the posts from Anne Marie Cross of the past. Three years ago I borrowed a 9WC2 from a friend, because I was thinking of getting one. Since I couldn't do any different nor easier with it, I just save the money for a better use.

There are few things that I would love to change on the 8UAP, but none are part of the 9C either, so I guess I am well for now and for the near future. Being those "toys" so expensive, I like to have the opportunity to upgrade to new possibilities, and at least in this case, Futaba did a great job.