Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 10:12 PM
Denjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo failure

I was flying my US 40 today and the elevator servo had a tremendous amount of hesitation in flight. I brought it in and check everything including a range check and everything seemed fine. Again in the air the elevator responded almost a second or two after the input. I switched the throttle and the elevator servo and the problem disappeared. I will dispose of the servo but my question:
How can you tell ahead of time if a servo is going bad or has the potential to go bad.
I've always used the HiTec 300 w/o any problem but I'm starting to question their integrity.

Ideas?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default HS300- Problems

The HS300 uses a plastic bushing bearing at the main gear exit hole and has NO bearing whatsoever on the bottom of the main output gear. It is supported by the potentiometer shaft. Therefore the vibration and loads of the control surface play havoc with the potentiometer leading to problems. I have flown HS422's and 425's with nary a problem, but the HS300 has a serious design flaw and I've personally seen Several of them fail.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 PM
coro

Default HS300

I have had 2 HS-300's fail on me within 6 months of buying the radio. One was on an over powered airplane with only rudder and I think I just wore out the servo doing highspeed full rudder deflection turns. The other luckily packed it in on the ground. It just went jittery on me like an out of range PCM radio. My third is on the way out as we speak and I switched it from elevator to throttle just in case!

I will never buy a non bearig servo again.