Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Resetting Hitec Digital servos

Old 09-17-2002, 09:16 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Hitec Digital servos

Due to a recent issue with a problem concerning a Hitec 5625MG digital servo when it was reset to the factory default to update it to the latest software, Hitec recommends that anytime a digital servo is reset or programmed that it should be connected directly to the HFP-10 programmer and not through an extension or Y-harness.

While there is no indication that this is an issue at this time, Hitec would like to be safe while we look into the cause of WreckRman2's problem with one of his 5625 servos.

Mike Mayberry
Hitec RCD USA Inc.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:11 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default May I ask....

The way I read this, the issue only applies to servos that have been programmed. true?

I have stock digitals (5945, 5625) that have not been touched by a programmer since they were sold to me.

Please confirm...

--Sean
Old 09-18-2002, 02:27 PM
MikeMayberry

That is correct.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:56 PM
AJF 2

Mike, Please help me to breathe again. I am dying reading the posts in this forum. I have never had a problem with Hitec servos -- and I remember when the company first started. I have new 5945s and 5735s that have never been close to a programer. The 5945s will have 24" extentions WITHOUT amplifliers. Nothing will be plugged into a Y harness, but they will be attached to $4000 worth of plane. Please tell me I am anxious over nothing. Thanks---
Old 09-18-2002, 05:08 PM
moses

Mike, I just thought I would say - ouch !!! ... that hurt. No programming though an extension <head dropping onto desk and making loud thud>.

Seriously though, I think this an important issue. I just bought six 5625 servos and the Hitec programmer (the credit card is still smoking). I’m planning on using these in a 90 size kit that I’m just finishing up. I need to point something out.

I will have no problem with initial programming of the servos - I will do this before the plane is even covered. This particular plane has tail grouped servos. Once the plane is covered, there will be extensions on all the servos except throttle. The extensions will range from about 12” to 24” - I’m still working this out. I will have easy access to the receiver and had planned to couple in the programmer in place of the receiver - as I expect most people would.

After the initial flight - in order to tweak the programming I will have to remove the servos ! But, running those servo hold-down screws in and out is just asking for a crash. This will be absolutely required for the aileron servos. Those balsa and/or ply threads can only tolerate a finite number of cycles before they loosen - I don’t want to find out how many.

For the tail grouped servos, I could theoretically cut a hatch in the fuse somewhere near the tail of the plane (due to the design of this particular plane, I’m not likely to do this either). So … the programmer is not going to get much use. This is too bad, I was looking forward adjusting the programming on these servos.

I sure hope you guys figure this out quickly. It is important that the programmer be operable though an extension. The unit should be able to verify that programming was successful and notify the user of the results (i.e., successful or unsuccessful programming). If I knew that I could not program though an extension, I would not have bought the programmer (I still probably would have gotten the servos though).

I will program the servos directly for now. Please keep us posted on whether programming though an extension is really a problem.

Thanks,
Moses
Old 09-18-2002, 05:16 PM
MikeMayberry

Hitec has sold 10's of thousands of digital servos and our return rate is no greater than that of the other manufactures. The 5945's are as good as it gets and the 5735 is quickly becoming the servo of choice for rudders.

What you don't read here are the thousands of people that are using those servo with incredible success, although there are many positive posts here too, people are more likely to post problems here than they are if they have none. While there are a few people that have had problems that is not uncommon with any brand of servo. You have to expect that when a few people make waves there will be a ripple affect. That is not to say that Hitec is insensitive to these problems. We will do everything in our power to take care of the customer and continue to improve upon our products to provide the quality affordable products we are known for.

As for your anxiety over flying your $4000 airplane.... to help relieve some of it, you might want to give the equipment some time on the ground first just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't expect to get rid of it all, after all.... it is a $4000 airplane!

Mike.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:39 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by moses
The unit should be able to verify that programming was successful and notify the user of the results (i.e., successful or unsuccessful programming).
That is why I am a little confused about the concerns of programming a servo through an extension. I did go through the extensions when I reset my servos however with all 5 of them the end result was SUCCESS on the programmer. One would think if there was a problem communicating with the servo through an extension the end result wouldn't have been a success.

The thing that no one knows is would this servo of failed me if I hadn't reset them. It quite possibly could have been just a bad servo and if so then the programmer isn't an issue at all. Unfortunately no one can answer that question so I must go on what was changed from the last successful flight until the next eventful flight on that being the only change was a reset of the servos.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:15 PM
AJF 2

Mike, the fact that I chose Hitec digitials for my plane is testimony to my confidence--It was certainly not to save $20--not at this point anyway. The reason for my post is this--After reading things about flat wires vs twisted--programing past 125 degrees-- amplified extentions--updated software, etc... I was just making sure that I need not check the dates, wires, or extentions, so as to avoid a problem, and that these out of the box did not need re-programing. (I don't keep up with every post here and I wanted to make sure something in the way of announcement did not whiz past me and cost a lot of grief and money)
Old 09-18-2002, 07:58 PM
moses

WreckRman2 … Bingo ! I guess I will be doing a bit of testing on use of the programmer. I’m really not that nervous about it. I think it will work. My plane is worth substantially less than AJF 2’s - perhaps $1000 including the engine and electronics. So I figure what the heck. If these Hitec servos do what I think they will do - I will be dancing.

I needed servos that were fast, and strong (in the 80-100 oz-in range). I also wanted accurate centering and positioning. Particularly on the elevator since my elevator is split into to halves - using one servo per side. Without good servos that are relatively precise, the elevator will introduce roll - not good. These 5625 servos are perfect - and they are the right price - $55. You all now what happens when you price out the corresponding Futaba stuff - at least $100. Pretty much the same thing with JR. So I end up saving $250 to $300 by going with the Hitec servos - that is a good chunk of cash.

Anyway, I already reset one of my servos when I got my programmer. I did this because the programmer instructions said to do it. There is no turning back now - I might as well reset them all. As for programming, it occurred to me that I will likely only check/adjust the deadband. All of my linkages will be direct and short. No ganged servos - so I can probably keep the deadband at the low end of the range. My radio will pretty much do everything else. I will be using a Futaba 9C and a PCM receiver. I will probably not need to adjust the atv much over 100% - since I will probably change out the servo arms until I get the initial throws that I want.

I currently have version 1.02 firmware in my programmer (darn - even though I just got it). First I’m going to have my programmer upgraded to version 1.03. Then I’m going to reset and program all of the servos - without extensions of course. Then everything is going to work - no lock-ups or anything - I have decided this already <the power of positive thinking …>. Then, I’m going to test everything on the ground extensively (with and without the engine running). Unfortunately, it will take me a while to complete the plane, so you all will just have to wait for the results.

Hopefully, we will have some more answers from Hitec on the whole extension issue. I’m not going to try programming though an extension until Hitec says it’s OK. Hopefully, I won’t need to do much programming after the plane is completed.

Moses
Old 09-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Diablo-RCU

OK, so how do I tell which software version is loaded in my programmer? I've looked on the box and on the programmer and don't see anything that gives me a clue.

Oh, and I've got 160 flights on my H9 Cap with the #5945 servos. And they were programmed using extensions. So far, perfect.
Running 4-cell NiMH packs and no buffered or amplified leads. Futaba 8-chnl PCM receiver. The 8 servos are labelled "modified May 2001" on the boxes.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:54 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Version

Hi Diablo,

The version of the software is displayed on the screen as the programmer powers up.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:44 AM
edge_fanatic

Default nevermind

nevermind...this is going nowhere.....

Though I've never had a failure on a hitec digital servo, out of fifteen digital servos, I could likely never convince you (easymoney) that your conclusions are possible flawed, and the result of some anger....rather than analysis.

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 PM
spog

Mike: I have some 5625 servos in my heli which were purchased in January 2001. There is no date label to be found on the servos or the boxes they came in. I have not had problems with any servos but I don't think the atv settings exceed 125%. Are these servos in need of reprogramming?
Old 09-19-2002, 01:23 PM
GrnBrt

Here's the scoop guys and gals. I closed a similar thread as I felt it was headed in the wrong direction and wanted things to cool down a bit and hopefully get back on a good track. Now we have a new one going and after confering with Bill we felt it was a good idea to keep it going and I agree. There are some ground rules though that need to be followed for it to continue, simple ones really. You will discuss the issue at hand in a mature fashion so all information can be assested, but if you post something that is over the line it will be closed down. We will not have a slam session going here so if you don't like the Hitec servo, and feel it's garbage then just keep it to yourself as that's not a constructive post. Let the discussion begin!
Old 09-19-2002, 11:54 PM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

To Diablo:
I'm about to get started on my Cap and I also have the Hitec 5945's modified May 2001. My question to you is are you going to update your servos with the 1.03 version software from the programmer? I havn't sent my programmer in yet but a person might as well I guess to get the new software, don't you think?

One more question, out of all the flights you have on your Cap how well are the servos holding up and have you had to put gear kits in them yet? Thanks!

To AJF 2
I can relate no one wants to loose a 4000 dollar airplane, me included. We all have to remember one thing here. These are just toys and you know what happens.

To anyone who can respond:
What radio lets you program the ATV past 125%? I currently am using a Eclispe 7 and 125% is as far as it goes. I am however going to buy a different radio the JR8103. I like the Hitec alot but I to want to feel the difference (just once). The way I see it is 269 dollar radio flys a 850 dollar airplane ok so why not spend 500 dollars to fly a 4000 dollar airplane.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:43 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Default RADIO

I fly with the futaba 9chp and I can set the atv to 140. I use only the transmitter though all the rest of my equipment is hitec ,the switches, recivers,servos,ect. I also just purchesed a pile of digital servos for my 44% ultimate and my illusion bipe, I am using the 5645's for the ail, ele and the 5735's ganged together for pull pull on my rudder. I love the hitec gear and have never had a problem with customer service. I do have a question though
I was using 605's in the tail on the illusion with a miricle y so I could mount the ele servos in mirror image. Can I still use the miricle y on the digitals or do I need to reprogram one of the servos to run in reverse and use a standard y harness?
Any info would be great
Thanks, Derf
Old 09-20-2002, 12:46 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR radios will go to 150%. I have a pair of the new digital wing servos on the rudders of my HotSpot. I have not used a programmer to reset thier values. They are set to 150% ATV for high rate on landings. They are also connected to a gyro (JR 460) and they have been flawless. The gyro really kicks the servos around and makes the landings straight as an arrow on even the most gusty of days.

I'm not that familiar with Hitecs' servo #'s----are all the lockout problems with the lesser expensive Hitec digi's or are the more expensive coreless models affected too? I was planning to use a lot of the Hitec servos in a new turbine model but now I'm leary. Will these servos lock up at ATV values less than 125%? Is anyone having any problems with the new Hitec digitals that have the braided wires. The servos on my HotSpot are braided. Thanks, Kevin

P.S.---The rudder servos are on 24" extensions and are "Y" connected prior to being plugged in to the gyro. Again, I've had no problems!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:50 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I can relate no one wants to loose a 4000 dollar airplane, me included. We all have to remember one thing here. These are just toys and you know what happens.
Believe me--I have crashed much more than my share of planes--this is a rare Pilot kit (took me years to find-see the post in Kit building forum "If you like Big, Rare kits-look here) that I am paying to have constructed-so far we are over 16 months into this project---I understand crashes are a part of the hobby. I just want to be sure I have covered as many of the bases as I can!--then-what will happen-will happen
Old 09-20-2002, 01:30 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default Re: RADIO

Originally posted by DERF-54
Can I still use the miricle y on the digitals or do I need to reprogram one of the servos to run in reverse and use a standard y harness?
It seems alot of guys say the Y reverser won't work with the Hitec digitals however the one I had did work properly. Mike however recommends not using a Y reverser and instead using the programmer to reverse the direction of the servo.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Default reverser

Thanks for the info, I think I will buy the programmer as I have a bunch of digital servos.

Sorry to her about your plane
Fred
Old 09-20-2002, 02:15 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My servos that I have on my HotSpot are connected with a regular "Y" harness----not a reversing "Y" harness. Kevin
Old 09-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Diablo-RCU

Thanks Bill for the info on version#.....just found out that my programmer has 1.02, so I'll send it in to be updated.

To Cap232CM:
My servos are holding up just fine. No slop, original gears. I'm also thinking about NOT updating my servos with version 1.03. After all, I've got 160 flights with no problems. My motto is don't fix what ain't broken.

I've got another theory for the trouble that some are having with the Hitec digitals. Perhaps the problems are caused by interference with an FM (PPM) receiver? The interference may cause the receiver to send a signal to the servo that is outside it's "acceptable range". The servo may react to this signal by turning off. Only a theory, flame suit on.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:04 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Hi Diablo,

My servos(5945s) which APPEAR(I just sent the in to Hitec to see what's wrong with them) to have had the lockup problem were both on separate Futaba 309 PCM receivers. They had not been reset with the new software, since my programmer also had version 1.02(it's at Hitec now getting updated), but were reset and programmed with the existing software. My ATV's were at 124%, and the problem happened on low rate, though this doesn't seem to make a difference.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:46 AM
edge_fanatic

Default Just determined....

Finally figured out that the servos in my new DP 330L were produced in Mar 02.

phew! (have five 5945's in there...glad to miss the bullet...)