Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

You guys had me scared on HS-605BB

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 04:10 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You guys had me scared on HS-605BB

So I put a brand new one through some subjective bench tests. Here's what I found:
* Centering seems pretty good. Within one trim click, both free and under load.
* Resolution good. Within one trim click dead band.
* Slight overshoot in one direction (under-damped) slightly slow to center in other direction (over-damped).
* Completely quiet even with drag torque.
* Very powerful.
* Slight heating of case when worked.
* Mabuchi motor
* Almost zero back-lash
* Typical surface mount amp
* Typical looking pot
* Motor not totally tight in mount but never moved even when output shaft was locked and stick was hard-over.
* Excellent value.
* Worlds better than my Cirrus sevos of equal cost and much better than a futaba standard.

All my tests were with futaba radio and 6v unregulated rx battery.

The fears I had learned from this forum were unfounded for this particular unit. I am going to use it on my CG Sukhoi without hesitation.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:22 AM
easymoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ilikeplanes

* Typical looking pot *... What is the brand name of this potentiometer manufacturer and whats the mechanical fitting/support for this pot...

Just observe these 2 things and show these to an electrical and mechanical engineer... and hear the comments.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:39 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

The recent inquires are not with all Hitec servos, just the digital ones and a 605 isn't a digital servo.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:09 PM
ilikeplanes

I am a Mechanical engineer. The pot is not marked with a brand name, nor are the components on the pc board. My experience is that "brand name" potentiometers are only used in instrument grade products. A single pot of this type can cost more than an entire servo. The pot is mounted in a cavity molded into the top portion of the servo case. Other details and materials appear adequate for a product of this cost.

If I had the extra time and cash, I would do a full blown lab test showing peak torque, peak speed, speed at 1/2 stall torque, step response in both direction, minimum resolution, centering precision, dead-band, and mechanical slop. Of course, the test would have calibrated instruments with a population of components and a statistical analysis of the gathered data. It could also be done with "green" and "burned-in" servos.

BTW, I have used servo hydraulics in machinery that I designed for industrial processes. We did a structured test program to determine the difference between Parker and Moog servo hydraulics. The Moog servo valves were far superior to the Parker. In this case, price and a good name does buy you something. I'm not sure if the same applies to model servos.

WreckRman2, there is also quite a bit of discussion on the 605BB.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:18 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Testing a new servo does not have a lot of merit, it shows new condition results, which only last for a finite period of time.

Fly that servo for 100 flights, pull it out and repeat the same tests.

Then do it with a 9402 Futaba for instance, you will see the difference.

Not trying to knock the Hitec, but you need to remember that it is not a precision servo. With servos I have found that you do get what you pay for.

Ya the equivelent Futaba will cost more, but in the long run it will be worth it.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
MikeMayberry

Do the same thing with the 925MG which is in the same class as the 9402 and you will definately see a difference. The coreless motor servos are much more precise.

If you want to compare Futaba servos to Hitec then lets compare apples to apples below.

http://www.futabarc.com/servos/futm0029.html
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs925.htm

Mike.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:07 PM
ilikeplanes

can773, I hear you loud and clear. I'm trying to figure out the value equation for my personal servo needs right now. An $80 servo is a hard pill to swallow though. But, like many products, a high initial cost can pay dividends down the road.

I think for now, I'll give the 605's a try. If they don't last a couple of seasons, I'll probably go with a top-shelf Futaba servo.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:05 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My kind of thread

This was in my opinion a brilliant thread. Good subject and supporting results.
Very enlightening but not too much of a surprise.
I personally thankyou for going to the trouble.

Thanks Mike

I use the 605's and 615's on the majority of my planes, all of which are Non precise
No more than I am

For those that I am attempting to be precise with, I do splurge into the digital market, and do see a difference.

Mike Mayberry, help me out, I am thinking of putting 4 mini servo's in the ailerons for my DP Ultimate. What would you put in yours ?
Old 09-24-2002, 11:14 PM
can773

ilikeplanes

I hear ya, give em a shot they might suit your needs. If you are looking for the ultimate in precision and reliability sooner or later you are likely going to spend some big $$$.

Mike

Unfair comparison I know, I was just pulling a number off the top of my head.

In my experience though the Hitecs just dont hold up as well to the abuse I put them through as a Futaba does, nothing against Hitec, I feel the same about JR stuff as well, just my experience.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:49 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

ilikeplanes,

That small amount of degrees of non-centering at the servo can equate to a large amount at the control surface. I had a 605 on the rudder via a pull-pull cable. The cables were attatched to a metal pull-pull tiller and not to the servo itself. The servo drove the tiller via a 4-40 rod with tight Rocket City hardware. Due to non-centering the rudder was off by 1/4 of an inch when it went back to neutral!!!

I have used Hitec servos in other applications and I've been happy with them. I use HS-81's to operate air valves. I have a couple of the new thin digital wing servos mounted in the verticals of my HotSpot and they center wonderfully. I do have concerns with other Hitec digital servos locking up and I will not use them on ANY critical control surface until Hitec sorts this out. Besides, JR digi's are only a couple of dollars more and the bugs seemed to be worked out with them. I can't afford to loose a $6000 jet not to mention possibly killing someone over servos that may or may not lock up. Hitec knows that there is a potential problem with some of their digi's---If someone gets killed or injured I wonder if Hitec could withstand the potential financial mess that they are exposing themselves to. Just my .02 Kevin
Old 09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I really think people bash the 605BB unfairly. It's a $29 servo, ferchrisake! It's a 3pole motor - of course it's not going to center as well as a 5pole or coreless motor. Within it's own limits, however, it's a very nice high torque stardard size BB servo.

It's hard to compare to other brand servos mostly because many other brand don't make 3pole high torque servos.

As far as durability goes, I don't see Hitec as being any less able to hold up to abuse as other brands I use. I use Hitec 615MG (3pole Super Torque) excclusively for steering servos in my RC monster trucks. Even with a servo saver, that application sees the kind of abuse that airplanes only dream about in their worst nightmares. An 8ft jump landing hard on the front wheel - WHAM!!!!! After 2 yrs of this kind of punishment, the 615MG are holding up just fine.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:29 PM
MikeMayberry

TheEdge- 5245's http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs5245.htm
Old 09-25-2002, 05:48 PM
ilikeplanes

Hey Mike, why don't we have worm drive servos. That would prevent the control surfaces from back-driving the servo. Blow-back induced flutter would be eliminated. It would also greatly reduce the number of gear tooth meshes and should improve virtually every aspect of servo performance except package size and torque/amp.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:19 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Have you tried the 625 and 645 servos, there a bit more expensive but I am flying the 625's and love them powerful and precise with good centering with at least 50 flights on my edge. I just ordered 6- 625's and 645's for my GP PW
92 and 133 oz for under 40 bucks at 6 volts, heck of a deal comparatively.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Kevin Greene

Volfy,

I agree, it is only a $29 servo. Why should we settle for less than as advertised in a servo. I EXPECT my lesser expensive servos to return to a reasonable center. I EXPECT my higher priced digitals to center pretty close to perfect and most do. What kills me is that my El Cheapo standard Futaba and JR servos centered better than ALL of my Hitec 605/615's. Also, when you deflect a servo to each side at maximum and it returns to center slower on one side than the other----SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!! All of my 605's and 615's exhibited this behavior. Additionally, why do you think that 615's were discontinued---the cases would wear prematurely inside and break. Hitec needs to fix their digital lockup problem before selling any more of the affected servos. I was really pleased when Hitec came out with their line of digitals. I actually planned on spending several hundred dollars with them to equip my new jet project. They have killed my trust with this lockup escapade. No company is producing perfect servos all of the time. It has just been my experience with Hitec that the failure/defect rate is a little higher than Futaba and JR. Kevin
Old 09-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Volfy

Kevin, all I can say is that my experiences with them have been very satisfactory. Their centering abilities are just fine for the purposes of my application. None of my planes are ultra precision pattern/aerobatic ships and I didn't notice any difference between them and other comparably priced servos.

Obviously your mileage may vary. What I would say is that for the kind of volumes of these Hitec servos are sold, the number of complaints are relatively small. This says to me that most owners are perfectly happy with them.

I know that if I had problems with any of my servos, I would first send them to the manufacturer service center to get them fixed or replaced. From what I hear, Hitec is very good about their service dept.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:29 PM
Volfy

I think it's mighty difficult to judge the failure rate of a particular brand by one's own experiences. I have owned upwards of a hundred servos by now, and honestly, only about about 3-4 of them did not meet my satifaction. They generally don't stay long enough in my possession to fail.

In any case, even if they do fail "prematurely", I wouldn't exactly label that manufacturer as substandard. The number of servos that go through my bench (even at a hundred) are simply too small of a sample pool to judge overall reliability.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Kevin Greene

Volfy,

Your numbers for servos owned/used are lower compared to mine. I'm not yanking my own chain, but I've been in this hobby for 32 years and I'm only 40 years old!!! I owned more servos by the age of 15 than you have in your entire modeling career. I worked my way through college in a hobby shop and I also currently build professionally in my "spare" time. Anyway----I have been around the block a few times when it comes to radios and servos. I'm not bashing (at least I don't believe I am) Hitec's products. I really like their new slim digital wing servos. They are perfect for the verticals on the HotSpot and I will continue to use them as long as I don't have or hear of any lockups. My main concern and newfound lack of trust in Hitecs mainly stems from the use of modelers as ginnea pigs regarding the Hitec digitals. Search the threads---You will find that from the get-go problems have risen. Digital programmers that don't work, digital servos that won't work if the ATV is set above 125%, digital servos that lockup after warming up, you can't program through an extension, etc, etc, etc!!! Also, compare how many threads there are concerning Hitecs failures compared to ALL of the others. It probably could be argued that Hitec sells more servos than the other "Big Three" I would like to know the real #'s, though. I would like to purchase Hitec digitals in the future but only after Hitec gets it act together. Kevin
Old 09-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Volfy

Kevin, I'm certainly not going to argue with your experience. What I do find disturbing is that a lot of folks would bash a manufacturer for every glitch it can be blamed for. I own mostly Futaba & Hitec equipement plus the occasional JR (Expert) servos. Just recently, hordes of people have bashed Futaba to kindom come for a 9C software bug as well as some really frivalous cosmetic imperfections. Never mind Futaba has acknowledged the bug early and invited any owner finding fault with their radio to send it in for free service.

Likewise, Hitec has been similarly responsive to customer complaints. I think if one has sent in "defective" equipment for service and gotten none, then one has a legitimate reason to complain.

Also, people need to understand that these new digital servos and programmers run on firmware, and as with anything software related, bugs are an inevitable fact of life. Living on the cutting edge and chasing after the latest and greatest do have its drawbacks, no?

I bought the 9C right as it was introduced, and so I end up with one that has the software bug. Oh well, one of these days I'll send it for a chip swap. I accept the risk that comes with chasing after the latest and greatest.

Think about it this way on Hitec: does Futaba, JR or any other maker sell a servo programmer? NO!!! The fact that Hitec has an aggressive new product intro campaign may mean some products get pushed out the door with a little less than perfect testing, but it also made a lot of people happy to be able to do something not otherwise possible - program digital servos.

I don't make excuses for either Futaba or Hitec. They both did screwed up on some instances, but I don't remember any company that hasn't produced poo-poos at least some time in its history. The RC business is a cutthroat one, and the pressure to produce/innovate faster and cheaper sooner or later will get even the best of them.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:32 AM
ilikeplanes

Wow you guys get hot. I hope you have cold beer in the fridge.

Anyway, I have two 605BB's installed now. One for my rudder and one for my elevator in my CG Sukhoi. They seem quite good. The centering performance is 3/16 over ±3 inches on my rudder (about 3%). They are virtually zero slop. They should be adequate for my flying style. IMAC basic, no 3D. Time will tell how durable they are. At this time I rate them a very good value.

Happy flying.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:59 AM
Kevin Greene

ilikeplanes,

I'm not hot---I just call them as I see them. I have pleeeeenty of cold beer in the fridge!!! Volfy and I just have a friendly chat going on and I'm sure that if we ever meet in person we would buy each other a few brews. I just expect a lot from my equipment. I have to with the monetary value and safety involved with a turbine powered aircraft. If someone builds a better mousetrap that is less expensive I would beat the door down to buy it. Same with the Hitec digitals----I was all ready to buy and then the lockup issue rises up. As I have said in previous posts I have and still do use Hitec servos in some applications, however, I will not use them (digitals) on critical control surfaces until this lockup mess is solved. Kevin
Old 09-26-2002, 10:41 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Default Think about this---

QUOTE---Think about it this way on Hitec: does Futaba, JR or any other maker sell a servo programmer? NO!!! The fact that Hitec has an aggressive new product intro campaign may mean some products get pushed out the door with a little less than perfect testing, but it also made a lot of people happy to be able to do something not otherwise possible - program digital servos.

I remember when Hitec got started and was pumping out servos cheaper than Futaba or JR and I think they have led the way in many things. But let me comment on something. I have been flying Multiplex Digitials for years-long befor JR or Hitec. I have been programing them with the programer-(about 5 years)-much the same as Hitec. This is nothing new to me. I have been disappointed with MPX in many ways in that I feel they have missed the boat on the digitial market-AND THEY INVENTED IT! Their servos are (in some ways) overpriced for what you get--but they are DEPENDABLE!!! That tells me that it can be done. I read of the problems JR and Hitec have had with the digitials and in my years with RCU as well as RCO, I have never read of a problem with MPX servos.
I do think it is a shame that a few bad servos can give a good company a reputation that will stay for a while--then on the other hand Multiplex with no problems with it's products, can't seem to get off the ground--what is wrong with this picture? :idea:
Old 09-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: You guys had me scared on HS-605BB

Originally posted by ilikeplanes
So I put a brand new one through some subjective bench tests. Here's what I found:
* Centering seems pretty good. Within one trim click, both free and under load.
* Resolution good. Within one trim click dead band.
* Slight overshoot in one direction (under-damped) slightly slow to center in other direction (over-damped).
* Completely quiet even with drag torque.
* Very powerful.
* Slight heating of case when worked.
* Mabuchi motor
* Almost zero back-lash
* Typical surface mount amp
* Typical looking pot
* Motor not totally tight in mount but never moved even when output shaft was locked and stick was hard-over.
* Excellent value.
* Worlds better than my Cirrus sevos of equal cost and much better than a futaba standard.

All my tests were with futaba radio and 6v unregulated rx battery.

The fears I had learned from this forum were unfounded for this particular unit. I am going to use it on my CG Sukhoi without hesitation.

I bought 5 hitec 605's, (before my Multiplex days) and on the bench without long servo arms, I found that 4 were decent, judt decent, not for precision aerobatic, and the 5th well forget about that one. It would not center properly at all. So I had 20% of these to say the least garbage. That's not a good track record.

I haven't tried the other hitec digitals, but they would seem OK. Hitec seems to do good in fixing problems. But I feel the problems should be fixed at the manufacturers level before getting into the hands the modelers.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Volfy

Hmmm... I didn't know I came off sounding "hot". I too thought I was having a friendly debate with Kevin. We certainly weren't jabbing sticks in each other's eyes. Believe me, I've gotten into those before, and I couldn't be sorrier.

BTW, there was some mention that the 615MG was discountinued and that might have something to do with the QA problem talked about here. I don't think this is true. 615MG is listed as for large airplanes and monster trucks. I bought them precisely for these purposes. Nowhere did Hitec claim this one as a precision servo. Yet I see people use them on Extras, Giles and CAPs. I see this same misapplication with 605s as well. Wrong application beget unhappy customers.

In any case, the 615MG went out of production probably because the digitals have come down close to its price tag. As much as I like the 615MG, these days I wouldn't buy one for $45 when I get a digital for $50.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:20 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Default System breakdown

The instruction manuals for R/C equipment almost always warn users that "your model aircraft is not a toy". It is then very ironical that we continue to see bugs in these products which potentially compromises its safety, and this is a potential legal liability on their part. What it also tells me is that there a system breakdown in the design and/or production stages of these products. Then manufacturers have to take their product planning and FMEAs very seriously to enhance the safety of their products before they reach the marketplace. When are we going to see the ISO or QS logos on R/C product labels ?.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.