RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I used Lipos without regulator...No problems

Old 04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
obolel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I used Lipos without regulator...No problems

Thanks Geistware, I agree everything you wrote. 2000 flights = average 200 flights per season at most, about 10 years usage. More than enough. I will fly with the configuration during the weekend, will inform.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:50 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please keep posting first hand information to this thread people.
I had an unregulated flying day yesterday after I found that my regulator was the source of interference and I got 2 x the range without it. I did notice the servos moved faster so I added more expo, done. Very nice flying.

One observation was that there might be more energy spent from the servos centering when the gas engine was running. 5 8611s and one 425. I am concerned with the 425 as it is not the highest quality servo.

At the end of the day I had what looked like lockout or something, I brought it down and got it back ok, and all seemed ok. Then a very new flyer who was lead by another, asked me if I was done flying and could he have the flag. I think he turned on.!~*(.

All it well, and my interest is still in finding what the truth is about an extra 1.4 volts. I never had a problem with a freshly charged nicad that was unregulated at 7.4!? EEs your infomation is welcome but more so the information of people really doing this.

Joe
Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
obolel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goekeli, glad to hear that you had a nice "unregulated" flight : )

I tried the same setup in another plane ( Excelleron 90, 5475s @ ailerons, 5645s @ elevator and rudder, 325 @ throttle ) last weekend, made about 15 flights, plus about 5 flights with my "unregulated" Funtana 90.

One of the 5475 aileron servos of Excelleron broke a final gear, replaced it. My aileron setup was pretty sloppy, plane is a fast one, I think I had a flutter problem.

Planes definitely consume more power with this setup ( about %25 more, due to the higher voltage ) during flights, we have to keep an eye on the charge level.

I will continue to fly during the whole weekend, will give an update @ Sunday.

I will try this setup in my Patty Wagstaff with DA50R next week ( It is on its way from Desert, rod change ), with metal geared Hitecs everywhere, I don't think I will have any problems.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wonder how the increase voltage effects the dead band.
Back in my Robotic days, we adjusted the deadband by setting the current through the motor at a predetermined deflection. If this is done today, then the deadband will be tighter at higher voltages. Seems to me you would need to decrease the deadband to reduce the amount of oscillation around center. (unusable power consumption)
Old 04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
GoeKeli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting insight Geist!
Abolol, keep us posted. I am not sure I care whether I use a regulator or not but the MPI reg I have now is the source of interference in my system. I will can the dealer I bought it from and see what gives. Turkey looks like a beautiful place.

Joe
Old 04-19-2005, 01:26 AM
obolel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Past weekend I flew about 20 flights with my Excelleron 90 ( 5475s @ ailerons, 5645s @ elevator and rudder, 325 @ throttle ). Again no problems. Next week I will try with my GP Wagstaff ( 5645s and 5625s ), I don't think I will have a problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:51 PM
GoeKeli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Obolel, how are things going on your patty? I seems with the new battery tech that the manufactures of radio equipment could tweek everything to run up to 7.2. I have not run my radio system without a regulator for some time now. I agree with Giest that the centering was a bit too fast and I used more power as a result.

JOe
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 AM
obolel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goekeli, everything is fine, no problems at all. Did about 60 fligths with excelleron, 20 flights with Funtana, 10 flights with Patty.

My findings are :
1. Servos move much faster ( naturally ), so the set up can be arranged to give servo more mechanical advantage and resolution, pushrods can be connected higher on the control surface, lower on the servo.
2. Servos definitely spends more energy, at natural and while working, I presume % 50 more energy spent per flight, so it is a good practice ( as with any setup ) to keep an eye on the charge level.
3. If you have an already fast servo at 6.0 volts ( like .12 secs, .10 secs ), the speed with 8.0 volts has to be seen to be believed, awesome, they become simply instantaneous.
4. Servo becomes hotter during operation, but I don't think it can become critical.

Also, I talked with a very good pilot ( and a dealer ) on the phone about this setup, he told me that he uses the same setup, and even used an unregulated lipo with his DA ignition. He said it worked for a year, then stopped working. He is not sure whether higher voltage caused that, though. Until now one of mine and one of my friend's ignitions also died, but we were using them with 6 volts. I talked to DA, and they told me to use 6 volts maximum.

So far, no problems, I don't think I will have any.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's been awhile since the tests were started and I was wondering if anything has changed or are you happy with the setup?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

obolel,

How about an update. I'm still using 5 cell nicads and nimh without regs, and really don't want to fool with them. If the Lith-ions will work unregulated, I'm in!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 PM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

me 2 !!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:07 AM
obolel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've not been flying since about a month, but I can tell you this : for hitecs, anything I tried ( mainly digitals ) but micros work ok. Micro ( hs 81,85 and 55 ) servos sometimes jitter, it is not a big deal but they do. For Futaba, 3003s work ok, JR 811 digitals work ok. I won't be using regulators anymore. I generally use Hitec digitals.

Just install everything, do a range check, and if it seems ok, go fly.

This is what I have to say.