Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Battery fires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery fires

Ok i shorted a ni-cad rx pack out in a plane.If i hadn't dumped many gallons of water every were would it have burnt everything,or just melted the foam and wires on the switch.Trying to figure out whats worse if i ever do it again[:@][:'(][]
Old 03-29-2005, 11:25 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery fires

when you dead short a battery, typically the wires that are making the short will get very hot -- maybe hot enough to ignite something flammable if it is on top of the wires. more likely the wires will burn in two and the circuit will be interupted. The pack itself will also get hot, but I have never felt one get hot enough to ignite adjacent materials such as paper or wood. There are stories of Li-Poly packs self-igniting if they are shorted. I have experimented with this with some old packs and was never able to get one to ignite. They get hot and swell up, but never result in flames.