Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

tx won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 PM
GravityTester
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tx won't turn on

I have a airtronics rd 6000. I charged it over night but the next morning it wouln't turn on at all. It didn't turn on even for a second or anything like that.....nothing. now when I plugged it into the charger I could get it to turn on. I used the TX a week before and no problem, would a battery go that bad in a week. I'm no expert so help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Fewski
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: tx won't turn on

Sounds like the battery isn't holding a charge to me, but I'm no expert.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the internal fuse.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Have you removed the battery? is it seated properly or plugged in properly?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
GravityTester

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Have you removed the battery? is it seated properly or plugged in properly?
I did un plug the battery and plugged it back in and made sure everthing was correct.

How do I check the internal fuse? or do I?
Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 03:12 PM
CP140

I don't know if a battery would go bad that quickly... but it does sound as though it's a battery problem if it powers up with the charger attached.

Some questions for you though.
Did you use the standard wall charger to charge the battery? If you didn't, was the polarity correct?
You say you removed and replaced the battery. I know it's kind of a stupid question, but are you sure it's plugged in all the way and correctly?
Can you pull the battery pack out and test it's voltage with a multimeter? Can you check the output from your charger and make sure it's actually putting something out?
Is there anyone you can borrow a battery pack from and try it in your radio?

My guess is that your battery pack has a short/broken wire/one(or more) bad cells.... but it's just a guess! Good luck!

EDIT: One last thought... pull the battery pack and have a close look at the pins the lead from the battery plugs into... they're easy to bend/damage!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:43 AM
GravityTester

I did use the standard charger. I checked and made sure that I put the battery back in correctly, although it didn't work before I took it out. do you think a new battery would fix it? it just seems weird that it would go completly dead.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 02:26 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it beeping or just absolutely nothing happening?

Don
Old 04-09-2005, 04:07 PM
CP140

I don't know if a new battery would solve your problem or not. If possible, I'd suggest getting hold of a multimeter/voltmeter, pull the battery pack out and measure the voltage of the pack itself. That may tell you if you need a new pack or if you need to send your radio off for repair.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised you say it works when plugged into the charger, it should not as, when the charger is plugged in it should not because, the way the unit is wired, either the charger is connected to the battery or(if you flip the transmitter switch to on) the charger is disconnected from the battery and the charger is open circuited. You may have a defective switch on the transmitter.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:24 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I recently pulled my good ol' Midwest Suhkoi down from the cieling of teh kids room intending to take it flying. Everything needed a good look, the tank was dirty with congealed oil. I plugged it in to charge it up and the charge light wouldn't go on, I fiddled with the swich and got an intermittant light so I took the switch out of teh circuit and plugged teh battery pack into the charger, the charge indicater light lit up. I removed teh engine and cleaned it all up (the throttle was gummed up and wouldn't move) then I tried to remove teh sheared off landing gear plastic screws.
Last time I repaired teh landing gear, I boxed in the area below the fuel tank to strengthen it, so I cant just run the broken screw through the threads.

Anyway when I had it all together once again, my switch wouldn't turn on. I tried another battery pack, same thing, no power. I took it all apart aqgain and found that where the batery plugs into the shwitch harness, it wasn't making contact. There was an oil residue on the plugs that prevented electrical contact. The switch felt bad too, so I tested it with a VOM, it wasn't doing anything either. I think that an oil film had covered the contacts in the seitch, I tried a new switch, everything worked.

This gives you two new places to look at.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:58 PM
GravityTester

The radio does come on at all no beeps or anything like that. I'm going to try something to test the battery voltage and go from there.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:16 PM
CP140

donkeydoctor,

I realize this is straying somewhat from the original topic, but here's something to try on your switch that's acting weird. Go to Rona or a paint store and get some 99% methanol (might be called methyl hydrate on the label). Pour some in a small container and put the switch in it. It should clean all the oil off, then pull it out and shake it dry. I used this technique to dry out a switch harness that got a little damp after an unintentional landing in a swamp and it looks like the switch is now working just fine.