Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Information for a beginner on channels, please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:41 PM
VTfootball42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information for a beginner on channels, please!

Hey, I'm looking into the remote control plane world and I have a couple of options. Both seem to fit my needs but there is one major difference. One is a 2 channel and the other is a 3 channel. I have searched and searched to find the difference (stupid question, I know) but I just want to know what is the main difference between 2 and 3 channel planes in my terms? On some sites, it comes across as being a matter of flying with other flyers, which isn't a problem to me because we have a large field behind our house. On other sites, it makes it seem like it affects the maneuverability. I want an inexpensive trainer, but I also want a quality flyer than I can eventually do simple tricks on. Thanks for your help.

-Johnathan the beginner
Old 04-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Information for a beginner on channels, please!

There are four prime controls on most airplanes, each requireing a channel for operation; rudder, elevator, throttle and aileron. On a 2 channel plane usually only the rudder and throttle are controlled, on a three channel, rudder+elevator+throttle are controlled. If you add a fourth channel then you can also contol the ailerons. Now, sometimes, on a three channel plane, the aileron+elevator+throttle are the contolled functions as you can omit the rudder controls by using a combination of elevator and ailerons to make your turns.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:48 PM
falcon2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Information for a beginner on channels, please!

Well, Jonathan, 4 channels has become kind of a de facto standard minimum when it comes to aircraft powered by glow or gas engines. There are quite a few electric powered 3 channel outfits around but I think your comment, '..I'd like to try a few tricks..', pretty much will dictate 4 channels.

Think of the number of channels as being related to what you wish to do. As Rodney pointed out so well, the four basic functions for the airplane are pitch (nose up or down), turns (bank left or right), rudder (for the beginner, used mostly to taxi but as you gain experience will be used while turning in flight) and throttle. While these are the 'basics', adding channels allows you to do more things. For instance, a 5th channel may be used for retractable landing gear, a 6th for flaps, a 7th, 8th or 9th for other specialty functions such as bomb bay doors, dropping objects and even to control on board engine starting.

Generally, a 5 or 6 channel receiver is very little more in cost than a 4 channel but for every channel you wish to use, you must add the cost of a servo. At the high end of the scale, 7, 8, and 9 channel aircraft are usually premium quality units with a lot of bells and whistles and will normally be a computer/programmable radio.

In other words, the cost really goes up.

So a good quality 4 or 5 channel radio would likely fit your needs best and you'll find the greatest number of fun/sport flyers use only 4 or 5 channels, no matter how fancy the radio.

There are some very good 4 channel systems out there that cost very little more than 2 or 3 channel radios and you will usually get a little more quality product.

One thing I'd like to caution you about is radios can transmit for quite a distance and the fact that you have space in your back yard or a field nearby does not mean that your radio will not affect another flyer even though you cannot see or hear him. The same applies to you...someone else nearby can affect your radio and cause a crash.

You might try one of the local RC clubs and look for a swap meet where you can pick up some pretty good bargains on older but still good quality radios.

Good luck and good flying in your new venture. Hope this helps some.

Joe