Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

crystal switching

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 11:44 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crystal switching

I have a number of Hi-Tec supreme receivers as well as a number of the new Airtronics 92777 with the new Z connectors...I found yesterday I can interchange rec crystals between the Hi-Tec and the Airtronics rec's .. Any one else try this?? Brian--
Old 12-27-2001, 03:38 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Hmmm...

I have found that if I take my left elbow, wrap it across my back, I can stick it in my right ear. Hurts really bad, and takes me an hour to straighten it out, but I can do it....

That's a joke, son, just a joke!

Please include any empirical testing that you have done i.e., did you do a range check? With both motor off and running? Did you do a check with transmitters on both sides of the frequency that you are using? I.E., if you are on channel 23, check with channel 22 and 24 turned on at the same time.

I guess I am trying to impress upon you, that it is really not advisable to put in crystals of a different manufacturer. It might work somewhat, but not perfectly, or all the time. You may have bleed-over from different frequencies, as well as limited range. Crystals are really relatively inexpensive, and getting the manufacturer's correct one is cheap insurance against failure.

I highly recommend www.radicalrc.com for their crystal exchange - if you have a receiver with the wrong crystal, you can send the crystal in with $5, and they will exchange it with the right one. They are great!!

One note, the Futaba Dual Conversion receivers are tuned to a low band (channels 10-35) and high banc (channels 36 - 60). To simplify, if you are using channel 22, do NOT try to use a channel 55 receiver with a channel 22 crystal. Other than that, they work great!

Experimentation is great, but not when a plane is at stake! The Engineers that design receivers, and transmitters are paid a LOT more than I am, and have a lot more schooling, experience, etc...think I will trust them....
Old 12-27-2001, 03:50 AM
Brian Smith

Default Wow Roger Dodger

I was just asking if maybe any one had tried this..I wonder if the new Z type Airtronics receivers may use the same circut as the Hi-Tec receivers..I know for a fact Hi-Tec crystals will not even make the old style Airtronics receivers work..I did check the range and it was outstanding..
It was really just a question...Thanks..Brian...
PS you better see a Dr about the shoulder in your ear..Is it yours or someone elses'??

*** Oh yes I do trade crystals with Dave ****

*** Yes Kids, Do not try this at home. ***
Old 12-27-2001, 06:06 PM
HitecRedneck

Brian you can also do the same with JR and Futaba. The pulse shift goes Jr and Airtronics, Futaba and Hitec, keep these together and they become interchangable. I use Futaba with my Hitec stuff all the time.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:42 PM
Brian Smith

Default H.T. R.neck

Thanks for your input....Nice web page-- I looked it all over for a Pic of Ronnie..Did not see his smilin' face...Brian
Old 01-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Brian Smith

Default swapping Crystal

After hearing from some very knowledgeable radio folks, I would be very careful about switching crystals, between manufactures rec's even though they may "seem" to work properly..The harmonics and adjacent channels may sneak up and bite your valuable model in the rear when you least expect it....It would be a shame to crash a nice model "OR" hurt bystanders because of a $10 crystal...Brian
Old 01-07-2002, 10:33 PM
punkey71
My Feedback: (3)

Default Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by rcav8or

One note, the Futaba Dual Conversion receivers are tuned to a low band (channels 10-35) and high banc (channels 36 - 60). To simplify, if you are using channel 22, do NOT try to use a channel 55 receiver with a channel 22 crystal. Other than that, they work great!

Experimentation is great, but not when a plane is at stake! The Engineers that design receivers, and transmitters are paid a LOT more than I am, and have a lot more schooling, experience, etc...think I will trust them....
\

Roger,

As long as you stay in the right band, say ch 42 to 52, you should be ok? Is it necessary to send the rx in to be "re-tuned" (read that somewhere...have no idea if it's legit or not)?

Thanks,
Harold
Old 01-07-2002, 11:35 PM
rcav8or

No, per Anne-Marie Cross (I think that's right) of Futaba service center, the receivers are tuned to the middle of the range, i.e., low band, 10-35, tuned to 22 or 23, the high, 36-60, around 48 or 49. So retuning would not be necessary, from 42 to 52.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:28 AM
punkey71

Originally posted by rcav8or
No, per Anne-Marie Cross (I think that's right) of Futaba service center, the receivers are tuned to the middle of the range, i.e., low band, 10-35, tuned to 22 or 23, the high, 36-60, around 48 or 49. So retuning would not be necessary, from 42 to 52.
Great...thanks. One more thing, I just bought a 8UAPS (52) with an FP-R127DF that has a HiTec crystal (52) in it. Is the HiTec 100% compatible/reliable or should I get a Futaba rx crystal on 52?

Thanks again,
Harold
Old 01-08-2002, 07:08 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Would be a good idea to change it Punkey....

I've also read alot of AnneMaries posts and info, and Futaba website. It is very adviseable to NOT interchange brands.
All radio companies and service techs are adament about not using same brand crystals, and I don't think it has to do with making money. A reciever crystal is only about $15
Crystals are so cheap, alot cheaper then a plane....personally I have no idea why someone would use anything other then original equipment.
In previous post Futaba's "center tuning" was mentioned, and that is fact. There is no other company that does this, so how can the crystals match from other brands? I don't know enough to elaborate, but do know enough to run strictly Futaba crystals in my Futaba equipment. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:18 AM
punkey71

Default thanks

Thanks Dale. I'll get a futaba rx crystal and switch em...no sense losing a plane over a $15 part..

Thanks again,
Harold
Old 01-08-2002, 12:47 PM
rcav8or

I agree about the not interchanging brands...cheap insurance!

You might check out radicalrc for their crystal swapping section. $5.00 and an equal crystal, and you can swap for your channel...great folks with a great service!

Disclaimer: I have no association with radicalrc, just a happy customer....
Old 01-09-2002, 12:22 AM
punkey71

Default thanks

Thanks...I'll give em a try.

Best,
Harold
Old 01-12-2002, 08:51 PM
R.Runyan

Default I am much smarter now.

WOW!

Never had to ask that first question and found the answer to mine in this string. Gotta love it!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!