Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best way to discharge a transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to discharge a transmitter

Whats the best method to discharge your batteries ,Transmitter /receiver batteries
I have for my use a Triton charger and for small packs a Ram simple cycler .
Has anyone used the Tritom to discharge there transmitters , if so did you make a special connection and can you explane the discharge process please ?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best way to discharge a transmitter

really there is no reason to discharge your transmitter batteries. If you really want to, the triton can do it. you need a cable that adapts the jr round charge plub to the red and black bananna plugs for the triton. JR has the black (negative) on the center pin. the jr transmirtters do not have any circuitry (diode) between the charge receptacle and the battery inside.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
ricknkim

I thought it was a good idea to run your transmitter batteries down every once in a while to avoid "memory"?? This is what the instructions on my Futaba transmitter say anyways...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Tall Paul

I've found that leaving the thing on for a day or three will discharge it..
Futaba's have an anit-discharge diode in the usual charge line.
To discharge, (which as DMc says really isn't necessary) you'd have to remove the battery and finger out some sort of connector to use.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:36 PM
jeffk464

I was told the same thing, no benefit to discharging your batteries. Also if you notice your transmiter will be pretty well drained after sitting around for a week.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 AM
LDM

Wow , thanks seems I was doing it correctly correctly on my own . I use to just allow the transmitter to stay on about once a month , then when i heard the beeps turn it off then slow charge . Now I keep them on tricle with the Lil trickler so I can fly any time I want but I just wanted to make sure I was ok .
Do you guys cycle your receiver packs or just fly them down and recharge ?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:59 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Hi

I can think of at least one reason to discharge your batteries periodically. It give you an idea of the capacity of the battery along with a relative indication of it's health. I also discharge my batteries once in a while to condition them.

JMHO
Old 05-01-2005, 11:37 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I bought my 9C in about 2002 or there abouts. I have never cycled the battery except inadvertently. I find it lasts about 1 hour, about the same as new.
I also have an 8U that I acquired in '99. Never cycled it either. It still works good.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:58 AM
lwien

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I bought my 9C in about 2002 or there abouts. I have never cycled the battery except inadvertently. I find it lasts about 1 hour, about the same as new.
I also have an 8U that I acquired in '99. Never cycled it either. It still works good.
I don't have a 9C. I have a 7C and I get over 2 and half hours on one charge on the stock battery. One hour seems kinda short, no?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:11 PM
ChuckA

The only reason for discharging any battery is to measure the capacity. Just leaving the transmitter won't tell you much unless the battery is almost gone. You need a good battery tester. I use the Sirius Super Test Precision Battery tester and cycle my transmitter batteries at the beginning of the flying season and again about half way through the season. If the measured battery capacity had decreased by more than 10%, I replace the battery. I also carry the tester in my van and use it to measure the remaining mah after a day of flying every month or so. If the capacity seems a little low, then I charge the battery and do a complete cycle. Again, I always replace any battery with less than 90% of rated capacity. I just threw away a 1100 mah battery that only tested 800 mah. Batteries are much cheaper than models.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:15 PM
hypersoniq

I have a 9CAPS and the first thing I got for it was a 2500MAh "all day" NiMh pack (and associated high-capacity charger). I use the stock one for set-ups and pre-fights while the big one is charging. I have yet to hit the 8 hour on-time in a single session.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

800 is 70% of 1100...................so
Old 05-01-2005, 06:30 PM
ChuckA

ORIGINAL: laryboy

800 is 70% of 1100...................so
But it tested at about 1000 mah the last time I tested it last fall. This was before I flew the model this spring.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Eagle Al
Banned

Hank:

You're are absolutely correct. Not only can you tell how much flying time your batteries can provide but also the conditions of them. In fact, recycling is a good way to increase the capacity (mAh). Also when batteries are stored, they should be discharged, another use for your recycler.

Futaba and Airtronics both recommend discharging. The proper way is to start with a discharge, a full charge, another discharge, and then finally a full charge. This way you'll have a good idea of the battery's capacity. If the capacity isn't at least 70% of its rated capacity, then they should be pitched. If your unit is under warranty, I'd demand a new battery from the maker.

But, for me, this is all moot, since I'm going to NiMHs!

Ciao,

Eagle Al
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
LDM

I am just really getting into the RC world , been involved but on the sideline due to kid/sports ect . So now that i am flying I figured cycling was a good idea .