Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

post deleted

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM
aerojack
My Feedback: (172)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post deleted

WcII it is
Old 05-02-2005, 07:08 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ***PLEASE HELP***WHAT SHOULD I BUY? FUTABA WCII OR JR10X

Well, in the first place, you shouldn't worry about what the "top pilots" are flying. They go where they can get the best deal regarding sponsorship.

What do want the radio to do? If you'll only be flying one type of model, such as fixed-wing airplanes, then it doesn't really matter. While the 9Z has a few features, like AFR, that the 10X doesn't have, for all practical purposes an airplane/10X and a 9Z are about equal; as would be a helicopter 10X and 9Z. If you intend to fly both fixed and rotary wing, then the 10X isn't a viable option since it comes in two distinct versions. You can fly airplanes with the heli version, but some of the more exotic mixing gets to be a real chore with the heli version (these mixes are already in place on the plank version).

FWIW, I flew a JR 10SX II for seven years (and have dealt with the 10X, which is, as you pointed out, basically identical), then got a 9ZWCII. I have never regretted it. As far as I'm concerned, the 9Z is clearly a superior radio, in almost all areas.

After almost three years now of using the 9Z, there are two areas I wish I could change. One, the only way to use the DSC feature is on the high-end nine channel receivers, using a separate connection; MAJOR PITA. JR's system here is clearly better, and I miss the capability.

Second, the 9Z's antenna is very weak, durability-wise. One must take care when extending/collapsing it, and the connections within the radio are very cheap. I really miss the rubber base-load whip offered as an option for the 10-series JR radios.

Still, overall the 9Z is just a more capable radio IMO. Some folks like to argue that point, to include others like me who have extensive experience with both radios. But one thing to keep in mind is that BOTH radios are now "old technology". Futaba will be dropping the 9Z one day. Those who know exactly when aren't talking, but the radio has been around since 1993, which is rather remarkable when you consider the usual short life of electronic consumer stuff these days.

JR? Well, JR has been playing catch-up since the 9Z came out, and they have yet to catch up. I have no clue what their long-range plans are, but I'd bet the grocery money that they are working on a competitor for the 14MZ, and that radio, along with the 9303, will supplant the 10X sooner than later.

I would give this some thought. Its a substantial investment.