Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2500mAH Li-Ion IN MY EVO!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Gyroguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500mAH Li-Ion IN MY EVO!

WARNING: THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY MULTIPLEX. IT MIGHT VOID YOUR WARRENTY. YOU MIGHT EVEN FRY YOUR Tx. PERFORM THIS MODIFICATON AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

The EVO NiMH battey is rated at 1500mAh. The new generations of NiMH are now rated at 2500 mAH. Instead of replacing with 6 new higher capacity NiMH, why not replace it with two Li-Ion cells which have same voltage? One great advantage of Li-Ion batteries is their low self-discharge rate of only approximately 5% per month. And more important is Flat discharge voltage allowing a stable power throughout the discharge period.

The Multiplex uses what is called a resetable fuse. The technical name is PTC Device or Axial leaded PTC fuse. It is commonly referred to as a polyswitch which is a trade name for Tyco-Raychem corporation. It is not a fusable link. It is very common in cell phone batteries. If you have an old cell phone battery, take it apart and you will set it. It basically prevents high discharge current and in turns has a short circuit protection. Be aware, that the painted side goes to the positive terminal.

I bought the resetable fuse from Mouser Electronics for only 40 cents pus few bucks for shipping. There are no minimal order requied.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand..._pcodeid=65002

I bought two high quality 2400mAh Li-Ion cells made by LG from Batteryspace.com for $8.90 each.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=945

As you can see from the pics, they fit really well. I added a little foam so they don’t move back and forth. If you don’t want to cut up your EVO battery connector, you can use old 3 terminal battery connector. Just cut the third terminal and it will fit Tx. You have to be careful because the new connector will fit either way. Fortunately, the Tx circuit board is marked which side is (+).

Now you are good for 16 hour flight time !!!!!!!!!!!

Wahid

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12627.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	270558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55562.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	270559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19328.jpg
Views:	9