Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

mixing digital and standard servos

Old 10-02-2002, 09:13 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mixing digital and standard servos

it was brought to our attention at our club meeting two nites ago, by our local hobby store which does some radio work, that using digital servos with standard servos in the same aircraft with any fm radio will cause problems- lose control and tend to crash the aircraft, HAS any other pilot or radio technician heard of anything like this? or is this just our radio tech blowing smoke?
i have standard jr servos with digital servos and have not had any problems, yet, all input is welcome

thanks, mark
Pa fun flyers
ama 272341
Old 10-02-2002, 10:46 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No truth to this

I have never heard of this and cannot imagine any scenario where mixing servos could cause any trouble. The interface between the receiver and the servo is the same. I think the risk is similar to using green servos and red servos at the same time.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:53 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely HOGWASH!!! I wonder how these rumors get started?
How is this "expert" justifying his claims?!? I'm an electronics tech and I can't see how glitching could happen under these circumstances!!! Bad servos causing a rare feedback condition---yes. Digitals causing problems while operating normally---no.

Kevin
Old 10-02-2002, 10:53 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only scenario where mixing servos could cause trouble that I can think of would be if someone was using dual aileron or dual elevator servos and use two different servos for each half. Believe it or not I've seen someone do that...
Old 10-03-2002, 02:25 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

would using a 6 volt battery verses a 4.8 have anything to do with it? i just bought a heli here on rc universe, from mr green, and i am going to put a digital on the tail, and standard for the rest of the servos, with an 8103 radio, i guess when you have been in the hobby as long as i have been , over 15 years, and the person you have known for that same amout has been servicing radios for the clubs in the area throws out that story of cant mix servos, one has to ask, so thats why i came here,

thanks guys

mark
mccracken
Old 10-03-2002, 10:49 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I have been mixing servos for years!!! I suppose there are people out there who use a $90 digitial servo on the throttle, but I am not one fo them. (Never had the need for 140 oz of torque on the carb.) I have also used 4 and 5 cell packs with digitial servos-(I would recommend a regulator)-- depending on the manafacturer, some say this is OK while some say it may shorten the life of the servo.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:45 PM
Gary Retterbush

I don't know who your local hobby shop guy is but he shouldn't be in the business with that type of info. Find a new hobby shop!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default I mix, & proud of it!

I have a Stinger with 4 std futabas in the wing, another on the throttle, and 3 Hitec digitals for the tail. No gliching here.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mixing Servos

I mix servos all the time and have yet to have a problem. I will say that I have had glitching when I tried to mix 2 different brands of servos on a Y connector. I had thrown this plane together with a PVC pipe fuselage and put all the old and cheap servos I could find in it. I ended up with a cheap, $6, Ace on one wing and something in the other. They did glitch badly on a Y connector. I switched to a flaperon wing type with the servos on different channels and everything smoothed out.