Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can this Transmitter be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 01:15 AM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this Transmitter be upgraded?

Does anyone know if this transmitter can be upgraded to comply with today’s FCC rules?

This is a Tower Hobbies Cirrus 900-FM Tx (made by Futaba) from the mid to late 80’s. I truly loved to fly with this radio as it had so many features available including built-in servo mixing, among others. Another feature I really liked was the ability to test your on board receiver battery pack by using a jumper cable from the charge receptacle on the side of the plane to a plug on the side of the Tx. Battery condition for the receiver ni-cads was read right on the transmitter meter, supposedly "under load". Because of all the neat features, I actually liked this radio better than the Kraft radios I used to fly years ago. Unfortunately, it became obsolete when the FCC rules changed. What I’d like to do if possible is get the transmitter updated to current specs, have the frequency changed to one I’m using now on a Tower System 3000 6FM radio, and have new Tx ni-cads installed. Can this be done? Would there be any problem with the fact the Cirrus Tx is 7 channel and the Tower System 3000 is 6 channel? I’m thinking that part doesn’t matter but would like to hear from someone that has more expertise with radios than myself. If this is possible, can anyone offer a recommendation on who could do this (email address, website or phone number)?

I had been out of the hobby for awhile and when returning a couple of years ago I purchased the Tower System 3000 6FM system - without servos - as I’m using the servos from the old Cirrus set. Both systems use the same Futaba "J" connectors. The old Cirrus set did not have a lot of time on it and everything is still like new, with the exception of the ni-cads. The new System 3000 transmitter is ok but doesn’t have the features or "feel" of the old Cirrus.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28626_13557.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	18175  
Old 10-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Rich-RCU

Check with Radio South in Pensacola, FL.

You can email them at
[email protected]
with technical/repair questions.

They do frequency conversions and modifications to meet FCC requirements. Their website is:

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/radio_repair.htm

Rich
Old 10-04-2002, 12:08 AM
linclogs

Thank you, Rich.

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give them a shout.