Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Synthesized Transmitter Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba Synthesized Transmitter Module

Does anyone know what the poop is on these modules. Reliable, duable, accurate channel selection, etc. I have several planes on different channels. This new multichannel module would solve a lot of problems. thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Synthesized Transmitter Module

I have synthesized modules on both of my 9Z's. Work great.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:32 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Ditto.... Been using a synth in my 9Z for years, several thousand flights, no issues.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:49 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Mine has been going strong since 1993 when I bought a new 9ZAPS system.

If you are buying a used and unknown radio with the module, just keep in mind that lots of guys set their planes up on the bench with the antenna down for extended periods of time.
This heats up and deteriorates the reliability of the module. Not sure if it does the transmitter any harm though_bob
Old 05-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Ross Kean

Are you interested in the module for the 9C?

There was a discussion on the Futaba manufacturer's forum regarding the Synth module for the 9C. I posted a followup question several days ago and did not get a response. If the module worked reliably with most common PPM Rx systems, then it would be useful. (It is understood that the radio could not talk to a non-Futaba PCM since coding is manufacturer-specific). If its "hit and miss", depending upon the manufacturer, I wouldn't take a chance since I use stuff from Hitec as well as other manufacturers. As you can see, below, I have asked for further clairification but did not receive a response. Also, I mentioned shift selectability for the module would have been a great feature so the unit could also be used for JR and Airtronics stuff.

Ross

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bax

There are some changes in the timing of the PPM signals with the Futaba synthesizer module for the 9C. Some non-Futaba receivers have difficulty interpreting the signals. No Futaba receiver has difficulty with signals from a Futaba transmitter module.

Such reported difficulties do not happen with the fixed-frequency modules.

BAX

My Question:

Is there any more documentation on this? It could make a very large difference to many potential purchasers of the synthesized module. After all, this unit is attractive to permit maximum flexibility in choices of used (and new) equipment. If I believed that it would be reliable for only Futaba Rx, I would not even consider it. I think Futaba already dropped the ball on the synthesizer by releasing it long after it was announced and they did not take the opportunity to add a "shift select" switch to make it a universal system. Not of much use to me if it only works with Futaba -- I can buy a lot of Rx crystals for the cost of the synthesizer!

Ross
Old 05-21-2005, 11:14 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Yes, I will be using it with the 9C and Futaba receivers, both PCM and PPM.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Ross Kean

According to the answer from BAX on the Futaba sub-forum, you shouldn't have any problems with Futaba Rx. I would still be interested in an answer about potential problems with other receivers (non-Futaba).

Ross
Old 05-22-2005, 03:24 PM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

I have two Futaba 9Z's with the synthensize module and they work fine on all of my Futaba and Hitec receivers but won't work on my Berg, FMA, and GWS receivers. I received my Futaba 14MZ last month and it works with all of my receivers. The 9Z will work with the Berg, FMA and GWS receivers if you use a single frequency module instead of the synthesized module.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:01 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Keep in mind what the team/sponsored pilots do; and I'm speaking of Futaba 9Z here.

They use the synthesized TX modules, but stay with regular receivers and swap crystals as necessary. The 309 synthesized RX for the 9Z has a nick-name: Dial-A-Crash...

Dunno about the 9C...
Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

My 9Z with synth module works fine with Futaba , Hobbico, Tower, Hitec 8ch. and GWS 6ch. single conversion receivers.

Fritz
Old 05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
bob_nj

I haven't had a problem with my 309. What's up with the dial a crash thing?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

That term was used by a long-time sponsored Futaba pilot (and friend) in a conversation we had one day.

He said the 309 was 'flaky' and was the suspected cause of several crashes among his colleagues. He further explained just what they thought the problem was with the receiver, but I just cannot remember what it was. We tend to tune out things that don't concern nor interest us. I was certainly interested in what he had to say, but had (and have) no intention of spending the bucks on synthesized frequency components.

Keep in mind this was some years ago; but as far as I know, the contest guys still avoid the 309.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:50 AM
bob_nj

Hmmm. Interesting.

Thanks_bob
Old 05-23-2005, 12:31 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

I've been running with the new synthesizer for the 9C family of TXs for two months now. I have never had any hint of problems with either my Hitec or Futaba RXs. Most of my airplanes have a Hitec RX.

Just yesterday, another club member was having a very bad range check on his stick. He was running with a Futaba 6-channel TX on channel 24. He barely got 50' before his servos were all over the planet. He happen to mention that he had been swapping out Xtals in his TX between 24 & 26 (channel 26 was the original channel provided with the TX). Well, that is deamed to be a no-no for the TX in the US. I know for a fact that at least one vendor indicated it was OK as long as you stay'd with adjacent channels. I set my 9C to his channel 24 and had no difficulty with range to his airplane -- helped to keep one member from loosing his airplane.