Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9z dual rudder servo problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
bismarck007
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9z dual rudder servo problems

I have been working on trying to figure out this 9z for a month or so now on and off. I'd gotten some help on here a while back, and I've managed to work it down to one problem. How do I get the rudder servo and the aux1 servo to work together?!!@# I can get them to work, but the trims wont follow nor will dual rates. Someone on here advised me to use ailevator to get the two elevator servos to agree and follow dual rates and trims; and they also told me to use flaperons I believe to do the same for ailerons. I've tried using the function command to get rud and aux1 to work together, but the trims do not follow. I've also tried using the pmix function but that still doesn't work. Also in the Pmix function which one should I use to get equal throws on each servo. Linear doesn't seem to work. HOV seems to work but I can only guess that it stands for hover? Does anyone have any ideas? Also my servos will work fine at one position but at their limits they are always fighting. Help!

C.P.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:32 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: 9z dual rudder servo problems

bismarck007

I had the same problems with the 9Z in the early days. There are more functions than you can shake a stick at! Download and print the additional documents on the Futaba website. http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/manual-9z-notice.html is where you will find them. Read all the FAQ's on the www.futaba-rc.com site too - these are very good. The AFR and ATV functions seem to be part of your problem. Remember that ATV is the maximum allowable travel for each servo - the AFR functions inside these preset limits. It prevents mixing overdrive and possible binding. When setting up mixes it is important to enable TRIM and possibly LINK. The LINK function will seen weird at first, but play with it and learn.

The order in which you do the setup is important. I do this - direction, subtrim, ATV, AFR, etc. If you skip a step it is very hard to get it working right again. What I found is to document each channel servo before I start programming. This prevents me from messing up other things that already work.

Hope this helps - don't give up, the 9Z is a great radio.

Safe Flying!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 PM
bismarck007

I am not giving up yet, The radio caused me to lose a perfectly good 20x8 zinger prop in a fence today when the throttle cut function didn't work like it was supposed to, it was a good show though! Thank goodness no-one was there. I will mess with those functions tommorrow.

C.P.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First step is to adjust the ATV, this is ALWAYS done first and then you never go here again, ever. Your goal is to realize the MAX ATV you desire without binding which nets equal travel arcs in both directions. From here on out always use the AFR function to limit the travel of any surface for HIGH rates and use D/R for LOW rates. Otherwise you’ll have problems with unequal travel with mixes and such. Remember leave ATV alone after the initial setup. You’ll need to do this on both the Rudder and AUX 1 channel separately. Ideally you’d match the travel of each servo with this function. The percentages should be one and the same and deliver equal travel of the rudder. You may have to adjust the linkage mechanically to realize equal percentages and travel arcs, this is very important and often overlooked!

Use a P-Mix, any P-Mix not being used will suffice.

CND Menu >
PMX >
Choose a P-Mix, maybe #4 >
Active:Mode (ON) >
Rudder = Master >
Slave = Aux 1 >
CRV = MIX Type >
Trim = Active >
MSTR MIX Mode = Mixed

NEXT Step is to select the “NXT” button
Select the “RST” to ensure the curve is in the default mode.
“END”
“END”
“END”

This works for me.

What is the problem with the throttle cut? You’ll have to “activate” the CUT button and then turn up the percentage to 100% percent likely… But again the ATV must first be set correctly to realize the required movement or travel arc for this feature to work. This means the linkage must allow the throttle plate to go rotate past the desired IDLE setting. You may have to remove the idle stop or readjust it to allow the CUT function to move enough to kill the engine. It’s easy enough to observe if the Cut function is working with the engine NOT running by observing if the linkage rotates the carb’s throttle plate a few degrees more when activated.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:47 PM
bismarck007

I've rigged it up and it works great on high rates (normal) but dual rates is still only commanding the rudder servo and not the aux1, can someone explain this link function to me also, I've read the manual and I just dont get it.

C.P.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
bismarck007

http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/5.jpg
http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/15.jpg
http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/16.jpg
http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/6.jpg
http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/7.jpg
http://www.louisianaaircraft.com/cp/pictures/servos.avi

Here are some pictures and video of my servo setup. I've got adell hobbies carbon fiber pushrods, futaba s9402 servos, airwild mlp arms, and dubro big bird control horns (rods). It is fast!!! well at least to me anyway. I went from s148's and an old 6 channel radio to this.

C.P.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 PM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: bismarck007

I've rigged it up and it works great on high rates (normal) but dual rates is still only commanding the rudder servo and not the aux1, can someone explain this link function to me also, I've read the manual and I just dont get it.

C.P.
What version 9Z do you have?

Did you verify all the settings I noted above?

If the LINK button is not present on the screen of the P-Mix your in it’s not a factor with this specific P-Mix. And I don't recall if the LINK option is available of all the 9Z's with the various software upgrades it may have been later omitted. I don't see it on my screen with a 9ZAP-WC2 with the mix I mention above.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 AM
bismarck007

Its a 9z wcs model, I verified all the above settings.

C.P.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 AM
mglavin

Do you see a LINK button in the P-MIX menu you're working in? If so ACTIVATE it and try again.

Otherwise try going to your D/R screen and select AUX 1, adjust the percentages to match RUDDER for low rate.