Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6EXA and Black Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
MerlinL14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6EXA and Black Wire

This is mainly directed at the UK users, it will become apparent in the post .
I have now had 2 6EXA Tx's where the Ripmax Batteries have died due to black wire. The first one was found after the Tx was over a year old. As it was out of warranty and I assumed it could have been my fault by the way I was charging it never got reported to Ripmax. The second Tx is just 6 months old, I noticed that the green charge light on the charger was very dim, even though the Tx was down to 9.4v on the display!! As I had suffered with black wire before I suspected that this was also the case. I stripped back the neg wire and I was correct. My model shop provided me with an Overlander 1000Mha battery as a replacement and they also phoned Ripmax customer support. The CS operator had never heared of black wire and had to enquire what my model shop was on about. The model shop got nowhere with the CS and phoned me with the poor responce from Ripmax. I decided to phone Ripmax CS myself and spoke to the same person who my model shop owner had spoken to 2 hours earlier. Well blow me down this guy was now an expert in black wire and quoted off all sorts of garbage pointing the finger at me, how they NEVER have had a report of black wire in the Ripmax battery packs that are fitted to the 6EXA radio's from Futaba. It was obvious from his tone that no matter what I said he was on the defensive and turned the conversation round to the black wire being my fault!!
So if you are a Futaba 6EXA owner and live in the UK check your Ripmax battery packs for black wire. If you find any traces no matter how small and no matter how old your Tx is please phone Ripmax CS on 0208 287 520 and report it to Ricky (he is the arse who became an expert in 2 hours).
Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
The PIPE

Default RE: Futaba 6EXA and Black Wire

Dear MerlinL14:

The PIPE here once more...and if you check at

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/blkwire.html ...AND at

http://barbadosrc.org/misc/blackwire.php ...

you'll get a WHOLE LOAD of info on that "mysterious BLACK WIRE disease" !!!!

If it IS NiCads that are the main culprit...I'm wondering if NiMH batteries can possibly prevent it???

Just did a Google for you on that "black wire" subject...hope it helps a little!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 AM
MerlinL14

Default RE: Futaba 6EXA and Black Wire

Cheers for that Pipe, I had already done a www search on the subject myself before I phoned Ripmax just to refresh the grey matter.