Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

newbie crystal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 01:34 AM
rcnitrorush99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie crystal question

Soon I am getting a HPI Nitro Rush RTR kit. It comes with the airtronics t-2 or somthing like that controller. I know that it comes with one channel ( one Rx and one Tx). My brother is also getting a car too. and If by quincidence we get the same channels i have one question. is it ok to buy crystals( Rx and Tx) from a different company that is not Airtronics, and use them in the Airtronics radio and in my reciever? And will they still work fine? Im just making sure becasue my lhs i think doesnt carry any crystals by Airtronics. thanks hope some one can answer this. thanks in advance.
-rcnitrorush99
Old 10-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Steve Lewin

No. The crystals from other manufacturers may or may not work at all in your equipment. Even if they seem to work they are very likely not to work correctly so you get bad range and/or glitching.

Steve
Old 10-11-2002, 06:59 PM
rcnitrorush99

so I should just buy the crystals by the same company as my controller? thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Crashem

When you buy the cars just specify two different channels..

if you live in the USA it is a no no to change tx crystal.
You are supposed to send it to a qualified center for retuning.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:18 PM
rcnitrorush99

crashem are you talking about plane Tx crystals becasue im talking about car Crystals. i had a tthread ealier in the month and some one said to jsut change them if i wanna change channels he never said i couldnt. jsut making sure you were talking about cars it sounds like planes to me.
rcnitrorush99
Old 10-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Crashem

I was told that it was an FCC Rule. That person did not say it was only in effect for the aircraft frequencies. But I may have gotten incorrect info.

But wouldn't it be cheaper to just specify what channel you each want when you buy the cars. That way you won't have crystals that you don't need.

I know that when I boat a RC boat for my kids last year the channel was marked on the outside of the box.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:40 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

This is an FCC rule for all US frequencies, regardless of air or ground. You are not to change your transmitter's frequency without having it done professionally and retuned except if you are a licensed HAM user on 50MHz.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:41 PM
rcnitrorush99

yea i know they makr it on the outside of the box but my bro is gettin his from our lhs and im gettin mine from tower and on the site they said you can specify was channel you want, its you get wat you get and i would want to get new crystals if i end up gettin same channel as bro or my friend. so i guess buying new channel crystal is a no no? thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 10:57 PM
amcross

Yes, nitro, it is a no-no. If they end up on the same channel, then you'll need to send one of the radios in to be retuned to the new channel you want. Your brother could wait to pick up his until yours comes and then make sure what he picks up is a different frequency.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:32 AM
rcnitrorush99

yea thats what we are gonna do . knowing him he probobly wont have the moeny by then any. i live in illinois and i guess the company is based out of illinois, so i might send in a mail cash order and try to write a letter asking if i could get a certian channel becuse i want to tyr to get a channel thats not same as my bros or my friends. thanks for the input .
rcnitrorush99
Old 10-12-2002, 03:27 PM
ilan_barak

I am an experienced RF engineer. I tested the Hitec and utaba dual conv 72 MHz Xtals in a Hitec 555 and a Futaba R148DP. They interchange lovely. I tested the frequency and also the internal Xtal parameters (Cm, Rs and Cp). They are very similar.
I interchange them freely within my different Rx's, and would recommend bying the Hitec due to the better price.
I didn't test the Airtronic, so I cand comment on that
Old 10-12-2002, 06:46 PM
amcross

Ilan -- this user is asking to change BOTH TX and RX which is illegal in the US.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:13 AM
ilan_barak

AnnMarie

I fully agree with your Tx point. Actually I also tested interchanging Tx Xtal's, and the Hitec and Futaba are very much different. DONT INTERCHANGE THEM !
Old 10-14-2002, 12:34 AM
rcnitrorush99

ok thanks
i been looking at tower and i jsut found out for illinios people i have to pay 7.50% sales tax now for my car since they are based in illinois so i said forget that and im gettin it at the lhs i was only gona get it from tower bc it was a Ultimate package i can get the RTR and accesories for cheaper than what i would have to play for shiping and tax so im gona get a channel there that none of the people i wll race with will have so i am ok thanks for the inputs though you all are a real help thanks