Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I need GYRO help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need GYRO help.

I want to use a gyro on the rudder of an airplane...not a heli', but Towers catalog, along with Futabas website yeild only enough information to be absolutely confusing and essentially useless.
My goal is to be able to keep take offs and landings in an absolutely straight line. Yaw control in flight would be nice too. I am running a six volt battery system in the plane, and would like to be able to keep it in place without having to add a regulator just to keep a new digital servo happy. So...which gyro do I need, and where can I find some good educational material on the subject without the confusuon introduced by constantly referencing helicopters.
Thanks very much for your comments and leads.
Jim
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: I need GYRO help.

FWIW I tried it on my Funtana since I had an extra heli gyro and it didn't make all that big of a difference. Futaba tail servo's like the 9253 and 9254 don't take well to unregulated 6 volts but the gyros seem to handle it. It also caused the rudder to wag at higher speeds unless the gyro gain was so low as to be nearly useless. I needed the gyro in another heli so I didn't fool with it too long but I just used the hitec digital I already had on the rudder with the gyro and let it go at 6volts. Just make sure if you use a 401 to turn DS Mode off with any other servo. In any case have a look here.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-gyros.html#q340
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use three of the Hobbico all purpose gyro's in the four engine airplane in my avitar and in two .46 powered P-38's used in pylon racing. All are only on rudder. The purpose is to buy a few seconds time to identify and react with appropriate additional rudder on engine loss. However the main benefit is exactly what you want and that is directional stability during slow throttle up takeoffs, needed due to the frequent uneven spoolups of the engines especially on the four engine airplane.

I have found them very effective for these purposes. There is no needed to shut off in flight with an expensive unit and you will never know its there under normal conditions. With the P-38's as already indicated I have noticed some highspeed tail waggle when the gain was a bit to high. This was no problem and a small reduction fixed that never recurring agine. But the unit does do its job well and will do a remarkable job of stability augumentation on the vertical axis after the right gain is set. In addition they work best when mounted very near the center of gravity.

John
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I suppose its a function of the airplane in use. I'm sure the Funtana's large rudder and high throws made it more susceptable to the wag than smaller rudders that are completely behind the veritcal stab.

The 352 multiaxis gyro is supposed to be quite nice but I've never seen one in use. I've only used the 401 and as I said thats because its what I had laying around at the time.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:14 AM
BiplaneCrasher

I used a COSM 180 Gyro on my Ultra Stick 60. The reason I started using the gyro was to help in landing with a crosswind or if I am a lttle hard on the throttle at liftoff. It hepled me a lot. The COSM gyro is 4.8V and the sensitivity I had sep-up was around 60%. There were now problems with wagging as you would have with a GY401. Do not use a heading hold gyro, or at least dont use a heading hold gyro in heading hold mode. In the picture, you will see that the plane was set up so I could help my son take the stick and have some insurance. I did not need the BTA, but the gyro helped my son steady in the air. This gyro is inexpensive also, about $80.00.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66100.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	424568  
Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
michael ogden

John,,,,I think you answered my question in one of your replies to another member...Does the position of the gyro make a difference...I'm building a twin me-110(1st twin) & wanted to know where to mnt the gyro..All advise is appreciated...MIKE
Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you michael and I think using a simple gyro can be even more helpful in a taildragger multi like the 110. Yes get it as close as possible to the CG as possible and with the axis referance mark oriented vertically when the airplane is level not sitting on the tail wheel.

Post pictures would love to see it.

John