Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

dual Rx or power isolator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
juanes1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual Rx or power isolator?

Ok, I have seen and read about people that use dual Rx in their planes, some of the reasons are more directed to the fact that if you lose one receiver you still have control of the aircraft, others say that is for not exposing the Rx to high loads of current from the batteries or the servos. Would the i4c servo power isolator work for the high loads problem? or is it better to have the two Rx´s?
I have 11 servos in my plane, I´ve never had a problem using one receiver, but i do not want my batteries and servos to burn it, 8 servos are 110 oz/in and the others are standard.
Would like the opinion of some of you guys that know about this. Thanks in advance
Steven
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: dual Rx or power isolator?

Eloy Marez tested this out and published his results several years ago. According to Eloy you will have no problems,
Old 07-07-2005, 02:19 PM
staggerwing

I fly JR equipment. They do not recommend using two receivers because of the IF interaction between the two receivers causes desensitation. Because of that I use Electro Dynamics optical isolator, same as the i4c on my giants. I use a 6v battery for the servos with the isolator and 4.8v on the reciever. I keep the throttle and engine kill switch on the receiver. This arrangement has worked well for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Use neither, the less to break the less problems you will have. One RX, two batteries, two switches into two channels. If you have any really long leads, put torroid chokes on them.

Even some of the top competition pilots use only one battery!

If you are to err, err on the simple side.
DP
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
BShin

By using two batteries and one receiver that way (I'm assuming that's called running them in "series"), do you get safety (in case of one failing), extended run time, or both?

Is the problem using two receivers just inherent to JR radios, or are others effected the same?

Thanks,

B
Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Two batteriers into one RX are run in parallel, that is why you use two switches and 2 channels of the RX. If you were to Y-Harness them in, then yes, you would have a single point of failure, but the batteries and switches would still be in parallel.

There is nothing "series" about any of these installs.. or at least there shouldn't be!

DP
Old 07-08-2005, 06:44 PM
juanes1969

If I connect them in parallel like you described, say two 2400mAh 4.8v to a Y harness, if one of the batteries goes bad while flying the other one will continue to fly the plane? or will the bad one bother the one still working?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
staggerwing

The IF interference problem exists no matter who manufactures the receiver. Depending on the design (quality) of the receiver will determine how much of a problem it is. Also the placement the two receivers in relation to each other and the location of the antennas can make a difference.