Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio systems and Nicads...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio systems and Nicads...

Why do all radio systems come with NiCd's and not NiMH batteries? It seems to me that being able to squeeze an extra 1000mAh into a pack would be a nice feature. Is this a well covered topic that I can't seem to find?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Radio systems and Nicads...

In the past, NiCads have been less expensive than NiMH but that is no longer quite as true. NiCads last twice as long as NiMh cells do (typically 1000 charge/recharge cycles for NiCad while NiMh are typically 500) and NiCads generally have a lower internal impedance (capable of providing a higher peak current without loss of voltage) than NiMh when you compare batteries of equal capacity.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Its been my experience that NIMH batteries are dead within a year if you used them or not. I have NICADs in electric drills that are 10 years old and still are good
Old 07-08-2005, 06:46 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

In the past, NiCads have been less expensive than NiMH but that is no longer quite as true. NiCads last twice as long as NiMh cells do (typically 1000 charge/recharge cycles for NiCad while NiMh are typically 500) and NiCads generally have a lower internal impedance (capable of providing a higher peak current without loss of voltage) than NiMh when you compare batteries of equal capacity.
Where did you find your facts from??? NIMH batteries can hold up to 4 times more MAH than NICADS and be charged more that 1000 times. If the battery holds more MAH then you charge it less which means NIMH batteries lasts longer than NICADS. Why are more and more devices using NIMH batteries??? NIMH batteries are replacing the NICAD batteries.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

See, that's what I thought, which is why I wanted to know why radios still come with Nicads if NiMh batteries are better.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red’s web site has some very clearly stated facts about battery differences at the following link.
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

A manufacturer will look seriously at the additional cost of NiMh.

I continue to use NiCad’s.

Bill
Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the lifetime info direct from the manufacturers, yes NiCads have twice the lifetime of NiMh. NiMh also have about twice the self discharge current than NiCads and usually a higher internal impedance as well.