RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Switch harness with a charge jack

Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 PM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Switch harness with a charge jack

Switch harness with a charge jack

I know we don’t always check battery voltage before the first flight especially when the battery came off the charger 45 minutes ago. But I did check voltage under load today before flying. To my surprise the loaded voltage was less than one volt. Sort of ruined my day and spent all afternoon searching for the problem.

Last fall I ordered 2 JR ‘Switch Harness with Built-in Charge Jack’ from E-Hobbies along with some other stuff for stock. In the last few days a radio was changed and one of the switches was installed in an older airplane along with a battery.

The loaded voltage at the field was far too low to fly when checked through the charge jack. The same test directly to the battery was OK. Testing at the receiver with the switch on also checked OK. At home the other switch checked OK.

While I don’t know exactly what is wrong, the switch is no longer trusted. Some caution might be in order after installing new components.

Bill
Old 07-04-2005, 05:20 AM
sandal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Switch harness with a charge jack

You probably already know this (and I don't mean to offend you if you do), but did you measure the voltage with the switch on or off? I have several Futaba and Hitec switch harnesses, and they are set up to connect battery and receiver in the "on" position, and battery and charge jack in the "off" position. If you measured the voltage with the switch on, a reading of 0 is correct because the battery isn't connected.

T
Old 07-04-2005, 07:38 AM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Switch harness with a charge jack

T,

No offence. It is an easy mistake to make but also easily corrected. Measurement was made many times during an hour or so of troubleshooting.

Measured at the charge jack without success.
Measured direct connected to the battery with success.
Measured connected to the switch output (switch must be on) with success.

I now have the switch partially apart and it seems light duty. However the concept is good.

Bill