Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 3121 Servos and Horizon Support

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 3121 Servos and Horizon Support

EDIT HERE:
After talking to some more people, though it "sounded" like they should work from their description, I guess they are just too small for 40 size 3D. I even read an article here where Danny told someone they would be "OK" on the ailerons of a 60 size pattern plane with 6v... I guess it's my error. What a waste of money[:@]

I saved up and bought 4ea JR 3121 servos for a .40 size 3lb profile plane. Those servos are about the lightest in their class and sell for $69 each. The first weekend of flying, I stripped both aileron servos and the elevator servo in the air! I re-read the Mechanical Advantage article they have posted on their site and double checked everything. I bought 4 more sets of nylon gears and 1 set of allow gears which cost me another $45. I replaced the elevator with the allow and re-did the ailerons with the nylon. One of the ailerons stripped again!

Naturally I emailed them about it earlier in the week, but as yet had not got a response so I called. I told the guy on the phone what was going on. He said I would have to send them in to be checked out. I told him that I had already replaced the gears and asked what they would be checking out. He pretty much sounded like a robot and just repeated that I would have to send them in to be checked out... I asked if I could get a refund, a price cut on three more allow gears or at least and exchange and of course the answer was the text book, "They're used we can't do that".
Here's the email I sent.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased 4ea. JRPS 3121 servos from my LHS. Based on the light weight and the info you put in the Airtime Horizon flyer, I had them order them from you guys.

The description said, "High performance coreless motor; ideal for sport and competition craft". I have typically loved everything I get from Horizon, but the gears in these servos are absolute junk. I fly 3D with a 40 size profile. I read and followed the mechanical advantage article written by Len Alessi that you have posted on your site. Even with that, I have stripped the gears of both aileron servos In The Air, and stripped the elevator servo twice in the air. This plane has never crashed or even had a hard landing, but these servo failures could easily change that.

I spent $15 on nylon gear sets that keep stripping. Though it’s not made specifically for it, after a phone call to tech support I replaced the elevator servo with a 3421 gear set (alloy) and it has been fine, but I had to spend another $24 to get a $70 servo up to par. That's just not right... To get them to perform reasonably, I will have spent over $95 per servo to get them up to par. Had I known that, I would have just bought a bigger servo.

I would like either a refund on the servos based on a less than adequate gear set and seemingly misleading advertising, an exchange for 3421's or similar, or at least three more alloy gear sets to get the three remaining servos to perform reliably. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but I really feel like I got a bad deal here. I saved up to get some nice servos and I'm not at all satisfied that they perform as they should or as advertised. This is the first time I have used anything other than 537's and I feel like I wasted allot of money. Please work with me here. I don't think these servos are holding up like they should.

The plane these servos are on is one that a complete build thread sticky was made for and it has received loads of publicity from the airbrushed covering scheme and light weight. Several hundred people have seen it in person and close to a thousand in our club have read about it. If you would like to see it, here’s the link... http://www.the******************.com...irbrushed+mojo You may have to register to load the thread, sorry. My user name there is Rik756

“JR and Horizon are committed to providing only the best products and service possible. We want every JR user to have absolute confidence in the reliability of our products as well as assuring that you have the components best suited to meet your specific needs.”

I hope you guys really mean that.

Any consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
“JR and Horizon are committed to providing only the best products and service possible. We want every JR user to have absolute confidence in the reliability of our products as well as assuring that you have the components best suited to meet your specific needs.”
We'll go all out to help you choose the right combination of products for your hobbying needs. And we'll bend over backwards to make sure you're satisfied.
This is the first time I've really had to deal with them on something like this and I am so very unimpressed. Maybe someone different will answer the email with some good news.