Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aileron Servo connections to Receiver...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 AM
markmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo connections to Receiver...

I know this probably sounds like a very dumb question, but I've never set up my own plane from scratch and it is a bit confusing for me.

I have a Futaba 6YG radio.

The reciever is clearly marked (in the manual) as to what connects to where, but there are two aileron servos (one for each wing, obviously) but only one aileron connection on the reciever (as marked).

Do I use a "Y" harness and connect both servos up to that and plug the harness into the aileron channel? Or does each aileron servo plug into a seperate channel (one on an open, unused channel)?

If each plugs into a seperate channel, how does the radio know what channel to use for each aileron?

If the aileron servos are plugged into a "Y" harness, how does the radio know to make one go up and the other one down? I know each channel has a reversing switch, but if they are both plugged into the same channel and they both go up or down together, the switch would only affect them both at the same time, so then how do you get them to move opposite each other? Does the "Y" harness have it's own reversing switch for each connection?

I would think the reciever would have seperate aileron connections such as "left aileron" and "right aileron", but the obvious escapes me. This is confusing and probably much simpler than I'm thinking it is.

I've tried a search, but I have to filter through hundreds of posts that have nothing to do with what I searched for.

On a Side Note:

I'm new to this and I've learned a lot already, but there really is no clear-cut guide to this stuff that explains every step. I'm thinking of compiling my own "newbie manual" that addresses the frustrations and questions I've encountered (that I'm sure well meaning, experienced experts take for granted). Lots of basic terminology info out there and individual part explanations, but nothing that really addresses how it all comes together. I'm sure newbies (such as myself) would appreciate a layout guide that shows all the parts (not just the major components) and how they all connect together with the many options available...especially since "made from scratch" kits force a builder to find all the tiny parts (that are never included) and filter out what works with what. Just when you think you have all the parts, you find you need a special connector (that doesn't come with the part(s) you are trying to connect).

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Servo connections to Receiver...

I'm not familiar with that particular transmitter but: if you use a Y on one channel, you just connect the ailerons to the appropriate side of the servo arm to get correct aileron movement, i.e. to the outboard arms of the servo to the aileron if your servo arm is in the horizontal plane, if in the verticle plane mount the servos so that the arms on both servos have their arms axis pointing either outboard or both pointing inward. If you transmitter is a computer radio, you could also go to two channels, usually Channel 6 on one and the other on the standard aileron channel.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
markmm

OK, I think I'm getting it now.

I plan on mounting the servos on their side inside the wing (to get them to fit in the wing) and the servo arm is the only thing sticking out of the bottom of the wing. So if I use a "Y" harness, as long as they are mounted opposite each other (as in both of them mounted so the top of the arms face to the wingtip...or both mounted so both face the fuselage) they will automatically move opposite each other? And if I mounted them so they were oriented identical (as in both facing the same side of the plane) then they would both go up or down together?

As an example...

Servos will be mounted as such (facing the front)...

L - Wingtip __________ [-__ {+} __-] __________ R - Wingtip

Where [-__ is the servo mounted horizontally and the servo arm [ is vertical...and {+} is the fuselage.

Mounted like this... [-__ [-__ they would both operate identical (both going up or down together) and...

Mounted like this... [-__ __-] they will work opposite, correct?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Mount them place, hook up the transmitter and receiver and try them. You will quickly see how they must be mounted.