Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9303 vs Royal Evo

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
patterndreamer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 vs Royal Evo

Ok this is my prob. I currently have an Eclipse 7 but despratly need more mixes and model room. So my question is, which one should i go with the mulitplex or the jr?

patternd
Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 9303 vs Royal Evo

If you are flying 3 channel parkflyers, it doesn't make much difference. They are both good.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:51 PM
patterndreamer

No park flyers for me. I fly scale stuff. So maybe someone we have an idea at which would better acomplish this task.

patternd
Old 07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
aeajr

OK, what kind of scale? How many channels typically?

I fly gliders and scale sailplanes so I can get up into the 10+ channel configurations.

If that is your area, both are great radios with 9 channels. The Evo 12 has 3 more.

The 9303 will be more familiar in that it has preset mixes, optional mixes and works as a 4 channel right out of the box. In that respect it will be something like the Eclipse.

The Evo does nothing out of the box and requires that you learn a whole new approach to radio set-up. From what I am told, if you are willing to put in the time, it is a superior approach to most other radios, but you have to relearn and rethink everything.

Since you list no special requirements or objectives, they are both excellent radios. Either should serve yor needs and both are superior to the eclipse 7.

The eclipse defaults to negative shift in the US. JR and Multiplex default to positve shift. Not sure if either can do shift select so you might have to change out all your negative shift receivers if they can't. You need to check on this feature.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
patterndreamer

The multiplex website says that it an switch. The one draw back for the 9303 for me is that it doesn't shift select. On your question concerning types of planes. I have a Sea Fury waiting to bebuil. My eyes are lingering on a few multi engine kits. Also IMAc basi is looking tempting.

patternd
Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM
aeajr

So, if you have a lot of neg shift receivers, get the Evo. If not then it doesn't matter.

Personally I think the EVOs are pretty cool!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:09 PM
patterndreamer

Well i want to hear from someone whose tried both these radios. And tried their features to their extents if its possible to reach them on an evo.

patternd
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a MPX 3030 and now own a JR 9303. I believe the Evo has the same general programming scheme as the 3030. For what it's worth, the 3030 had the best programming structure of any computer radio I've owned. Very intuitive. Problem is, it's tough for someone raised on Asian radios to "unlearn" them and relearn an MPX. You don't have to activate wing types or dual elevators or any other BS with the MPX; you just designate what type of control is plugged into a particular channel. The reason I sold my 3030 and went with the JR is the support for the 3030 is dwindling in the US. Hitec is really concentrating on the Evo and the 3030/4000 series are fading. I like my 9303 also (in fact, _really_ like it), but the programming doesn't match up to a high end MPX.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
patterndreamer

god to hear from someone who has tried mpx and jr. I was wondering if the mpx gives uo control over the servo speed like the 9303 does. Thanks for writing here.

patternd
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3030 had servo speed function on all channels. Don't know about the Evo.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
patterndreamer

well i guess the evo would as well then. thanks

patternd
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The Evo has speed control on the flap and spoiler functions. It has shift select for the USA.

Evo has optional synthesiser, frequency scanner and channel check, though I don't know if the frequency scanner and channel check are available on 72Mhz. Afaik the JR does not offer synth modules yet, and for the foreseeable future will not offer scanner and channel check. Evo is designed to allow programming of numerical values in flight.

Evo has plenty memories on board, the PC software to backup the Tx is free all you pay for is the cable.

Evo can have sticks with switches/buttons on top, for thumb and finger fliers.

Evo's downsides are the slow transition between flight phases which is fixed at the factory, and lack of expo per flight phase which is not good for 3D fliers.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
patterndreamer

well i'm not intending to fly 3d so thats not a biggy for me.

patternd
Old 07-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Tim_Indy

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Evo has optional synthesiser, frequency scanner and channel check, though I don't know if the frequency scanner and channel check are available on 72Mhz.
The frequency scanner and channel check are indeed available on 72 Mhz, and work well in my EVO here in the USA.

According to Horizon, JR will be offering a synth transmitter module for their 8, 9, and 10 channel transmitters, and a synth 10 channel PCM receiver. Early August is the stated availability date.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 AM
patterndreamer

yeah but the jr synth module will be about $100. I could easily get th Evo 12 then for the price when you additup.

patternd
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Scott G

Hi patterndreamer,

About a year and a half ago I switched from an Eclipse 7 to my Evo12. I think it rocks for a couple of reasons. First off, my Top-Filte Sea Fury has eight servos. Two for flaps and Ailerons; one for elevator, rudder, retracts, and throttle. The manual calls for some Y connectors to get everything hooked up. No Y's for me. Every servo has it's own channel and I can fine tune all the endpoints individually. Secondly, on my Sea Fury, I used a 5 channel Berg receiver with a four channel expander dohick (also Berg). Because of this, putting the ailerons on 1/5 just wasn't convenient. The Evo allowed me to set up my assignment as follows:

1 - Retracts
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
6 - L. Ail
7 - L. Flap
8 - R. Flap
9 - R. Ail

I did this because the Expander has four channels on it (6-9 if I remember right) and then plugs into the main receiver. Now removing the wing only requires that I unplug the expander (one lead instead of four). I thought that was cool.

Also assignment flexibility applies to the switches too. I mapped both my flight mode toggle and my retract control to the same switch. When I switch to the Landing FM my gear go down and my trims all change to the slightly different settings needed in that case. Switching to Normal FM brings up the gear and adjusts trims. Finally my flaps are set on a two second timer. The range is 0-4secs.

I also have a Goldberg Monster Pitts with 4 aileron servos. This plane also called for Y's, in fact I think they wanted Y's running into a Y. With my Evo every aileron is on it's own channel (1,5,6,7). The flexibility is pretty cool.

As far as the transition from the Eclipse to the Evo... I didn't find it too difficult. In fact, I was able to set up my little Shogun helicopter (my first chopper) with just the provided manual. I didn't have anyone at the field to help me because I was one of the first to get one in my club.

The main negatives have been mentioned by HarryC. I had a bit of trouble getting a rudder->aileron mix working correctly to help with the knife-edge coupling in my Pitts with my four servos. HarryC and crew helped me with that on a massive thread about the Evo at RCGroups (you should peruse that thread before you buy).

Sorry, no experience with the JR stuff to offer a counter point.

Scott.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:05 PM
patterndreamer

Actually, a Top Flite Sea Fury is one of the reasons i'm looking at a new radio. Good to know it will work alright. Thanks for all the info guys, and i have looked at the rcgroups forum.

patternd