RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

long range radios? (500-1000ft)

Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 PM
anowak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default long range radios? (500-1000ft)

I'm new to the RC community and have been trying to figure out what kind of Tx/Rx is available that would provide radio control distances of around 500 feet or more. Do RC radios capable of this exist? I've read about the Spektrum DX3 DSM and its apparent 3000ft range but I dont want to race, and have heard about people complaining of range problems with that unit. I'm just interested in boating in a small lake and not having to worry about range issues. Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:51 AM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: long range radios? (500-1000ft)

All major RC Transmitters (Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronics etc) will provide control beyond visual range. In a helicopter with a short base loaded antenna, a JR Tx provided perfect control at over 3000 ft - at that distance the heli is a tiny speck. Even my 20 year old Futaba 27Mhz Tx/rx still works in my sailboat for several 100 yards. I see no problem with cruising a boat in a small lake - unless you want to float is across Lake Superior.

Fritz
Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 AM
anowak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help. Would you recommend any models in particular. Certainly you are speaking of either FM or PCM radios of these brands and not the AM radios correct? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 AM
rctrax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Am radios willwork just as good as FM as far as range is concerned. Any standard RC radio will be good out to a mile[5000 ft] if you could see it that far so you can figure that as far as you can see it it will be OK. Only those toy park flyers are the ones that have short range[1000 ft or less]
Old 07-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The range is primarily determined by the receiver design and; with good design has a range of well over a mile. Range is not determined by whether it a FM (both PCM and PPM are most all FM) or AM type transmission.