RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14MZ internals

Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 14MZ internals

Hi, has anyone got close-up pics of what the internal of the Futaba 14MZ looks like i.e. with the rear cover removed ? I haven't seen one posted anywhere, but it will be nice to see the internal layout and quality of parts. Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 14MZ internals

hahaha...

ya like I'm sure someone would open a 14mz just to see what it looks like

probably have a Heart Attack first, the fear of breaking it would be about the same as getting castrated... too strong...
Old 07-31-2005, 12:23 PM
eschummer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have any pictures, but I had the rear cover off yesterday to replace the gimbal springs (stiffer ones from Radio South). Seems the radio is very well made. The only electrical connections to the back cover are for the battery circuit, and they are all on connectors. These can be removed very carefully, and then the rest is pretty much open. Fairly clean, if tight, arrangements of cuircuit boards - there are several layers of them, so if you want to get into it, you have to remove them one at a time.

The gimbals are the same as used on the 9ZAP, so spring replacemen is about the same - use a curved hemostat and you should not have too much trouble.

Ed
Old 07-31-2005, 06:11 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello rajul,

I hope these pics are what you are looking for. Very simple to change springs, but I beg to differ with eschummer's posting. These gimbals are not the same as the 9ZAP radios.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19836.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	303972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21893.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	303973  
Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 PM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. The pics are great ! The layout is pretty interesting. Is the disc in the lower right corner a battery ?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:02 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, I really never paid attention, but looking at the pic, it sure looks like one.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
eschummer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's the PC board lithum battery that keeps basic memory function alive when you take out the main battery. Date, time, data stay while you remove operating power (A PC has a similar device).

Ed
Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Hammer99

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got bunch of pics on my gallery at RunRyder: http://runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/19459/
Old 08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eschummer

That's the PC board lithum battery that keeps basic memory function alive when you take out the main battery. Date, time, data stay while you remove operating power (A PC has a similar device).

Ed

but on most PCs the battery isn't soldered in and is user replaceable...i guess futaba was too cheap to put a 20 cent battery clip in there instead.

dave
Old 08-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: eschummer

Ed
but on most PCs the battery isn't soldered in and is user replaceable...i guess futaba was too cheap to put a 20 cent battery clip in there instead.

dave
Goes to show you just can't please everybody. Some, like me, prefer the robustness and ruggedness of the welded battery tabs & thru-hole soldered connection over a cheap 20cent battery clip. Anybody who can afford a 14MZ certain wouldn't mind the extra expense of changing the soldered battery every 10(?) yrs.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:31 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you look closely, you can see the battery holder. It slides out to the right.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:43 PM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you look closely, you can see the battery holder. It slides out to the right.
look even closer and you'll see that that tab is spot welded to the battery and you can also see where it is soldered to the board.

Anybody who can afford a 14MZ certain wouldn't mind the extra expense of changing the soldered battery every 10(?) yrs.
in about five years we'll know for sure. i'm betting it'll be just like with the current radios that use a battery back-up: people getting frustrated and wanting to know how to change it themselves since they have a contest "tomorrow" and can't be without a radio for two weeks while futaba services it...

dave
Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
delcam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This looks not a like a lithium battery but a piezo speaker.....the part that makes the sound. I have exact the same part put into my FC-28 and use it as a programmable battery-alarm with a PIC microprocessor attached to it. Lithium batteries don't stand being soldered.

Hans Delemarre
Old 08-08-2005, 04:23 PM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: delcam

This looks not a like a lithium battery but a piezo speaker.....the part that makes the sound. I have exact the same part put into my FC-28 and use it as a programmable battery-alarm with a PIC microprocessor attached to it. Lithium batteries don't stand being soldered.

Hans Delemarre

sorry but "BR2032" is a 3 volt lithium battery with a 20mm diameter and 3.2mm thickness. and the battery isn't soldered but spot welded to the tabs. the tabs are then soldered to the PCB

dave
Old 08-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Volfy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a battery alright. Panasonic BR2032 is a pretty common 3V lithium. BTW, the tab is welded onto the face of the coin cell and the tab is then in turn soldered to the thru-hole on the PCB.

Futaba had to make a decision to do it one way or another. There are pros and cons to either method, obviously. Dave, your original comlaint was that Futaba tried to save from using even a 20cent part. I was simply pointing out that the tabbed battery cell is no cheaper, and probably cost more to implement overall, than using a cell holder. I was also pointing out the reliability benefits of the way Futaba did it vs. coin cell holder with spring clip, which is subject to corrosion and other enviromental related contact problems. We use industrial singlle-board computers for our rig instrumentation embedded PC systems and have had problems with those pesky coin cell holders.

If you're complaint is now that it take too much work to replace it, then you are absolutely right. However, you cannot have the cake and eat it too. Reliability vs. convenience. Sometimes you just have to take a pick. IMHO, Futaba made a prudent engineering choice.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:01 PM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba had to make a decision to do it one way or another. There are pros and cons to either method, obviously. Dave, your original comlaint was that Futaba tried to save from using even a 20cent part. I was simply pointing out that the tabbed battery cell is no cheaper, and probably cost more to implement overall, than using a cell holder. I was also pointing out the reliability benefits of the way Futaba did it vs. coin cell holder with spring clip, which is subject to corrosion and other enviromental related contact problems. We use industrial singlle-board computers for our rig instrumentation embedded PC systems and have had problems with those pesky coin cell holders.

yes, even as i typed my gripe i thought about the fact that a cell with tabs probably costs at least 50 cents more than a cell+holder/clip. if they did use it for reliability and not just so their technicians will have something to do five years from now the all the power to them!

dave
Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Isn't there a more elegant way of backing up data without the need for an auxillliary power supply ? I'm not sure how the 9C or other Tx does it, but I'm pretty sure there's no backup battery in my 9C.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
twist2
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, same goes with JR, JR finally got smart and took the stupid liion out of their transmitters
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Volfy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 9C does have a memory backup battery internally.

More elegant data backup solutions? I'm not sure about elegant, but there are for sure other ways to do solid state memory. Flash memory and EEPROM are a couple of other commonly used devices. They all have pros and cons about them - whether it be power usage or write cycle limitations. This is not to say the 14MZ doesn't have those devices onboard. For all I know, Futaba may be using the BR2032 to power a Maxim clock chip, so that the TX doesn't require resetting of the clock every time you turn the power on-off.

One system I design for my line of work employs both EEPROM and battery back up RAM, serving different purposes that could not be done with either alone. I would imagine there is a good reason why Futaba employed the battery back-up.

May I just tend to give fellow engineers the benefit of the doubt.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Volfy

The 9C does have a memory backup battery internally.
Sorry, but we must differ. The Futaba 9C does not use a backup battery for the memory. The memory in the 9C is non-volatile, and will remain when the main battery pack is removed from the unit. There are no other batteries in the transmitter.

The 9Z and 14MZ each have a lithium cell for memory and date and time.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bax, thanks for the info and clarification