RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Older Airtronics Radio Systems

Old 07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
kojak41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older Airtronics Radio Systems

I have been inactive for several years and I am trying to get something ready to fly. I have three Airtronics RD6000 systems I bought in 1997 or 1998 that have dead NiCDs in both the xmitters and receivers. In addition the manuals say that the xmitters have a lithium battery that keeps the settings in microchip when the xmitter is turned off. Is it worth trying to replace all these batterys or are the new systems improved enough to make it best to just junk them and get new? They are the old Airtronics before the "blue connector" wiring that made Airtronics wiring change and seems to make all of the current Airtronics components incompatible. I have used Airtronics since the late 70's and am pissed off that they made all my equipment obsolete. Would not buy Airtronics again.

Mike H.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Older Airtronics Radio Systems

Maybe not everything is obsolete.

Consider buying one new radio that holds multiple models and reuse the servos and receivers. I believe (but am not certain) that both old and new connector Airtronics receivers were positive shift. JR radios are positive shift.

Everyone’s situation is different but I prefer to retire transmitters that have bad batteries and put the airplane in a newer radio that holds multiple models. The Airtronics servos and receiver that I have will be reused with a crystal change. Receiver batteries are being standardized with a JR connector, which also means changing to a JR connector on the switch harness. If the receiver dies JR connectors will be put on the servos. Heck I am already interchanging three types of old Futaba servos with newer Futaba and JR and Hitec servos. The Kraft servos have however been retired.

Bill
Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

new servos work just fine with the old receivers, all you need to do is pull the metal sockets out of the plug and rearrange them. and to use the old servos you need to rearrange the sockets AND cut the splines off the plug or just get a new style plug to use with the old sockets.

either way you don't need to do any wire cutting/soldering or buy any $$$ adapters.

dave
Old 07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
kojak41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is BillS correct? If I get a new JR system I can use the Airtronics flight packs with it. What is JR's Sport 6 channel computer radio system? Who sells them?

Mike H.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes this if correct. Your old Airtronics flight packs (Which are positive shift) will work with a JR Tx. (Which are positive shift) This will only work with FM(PPM) capable Tx's, Rx's as there is no interbrand compatatibility with PCM systems. Also you should use only airtronics brand crystal in the Airtronics rx to match the channel number of your new JR Tx.

John
Old 07-18-2005, 08:05 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your RD6000 must predate mine as mine came with the new (blue) Z connectors and does not have a lithium battery to maintain the memory.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:24 AM
kojak41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input. Just ordered a JR 6102 FM system. Danny from JR in the direct manufacturer part of this forum has been very helpful. If Airtronics hade been as responsive as Danny, they might still have a custimer.

Mike H.