RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 5UAF....Opinions?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
WrenWright

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 5UAF....Opinions?

A buddy gave me a Futaba 5UAF on channel 46. It appears to power up ok. He used it for glider flying a few years ago. The battery could probably stand to be replaced.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this radio or comments?

I'm not sure what to do with it as I'm on Ch. 52 and I already have a 6exa and am getting a 9CAP soon.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 5UAF....Opinions?

I have a 7UAFS which is similar with the obvious exception of more channels and love it.

Your options are:
1. Check it out, put on a freq you like and use it. It uses a freq module doesn't it?
2. Get rid of it.

Not sure of what programming options your exact model has if it isn't a "super" but your options are basic.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your getting a 9C you will quickly find that all your other radios do nothing more than collect dust.

Put them on Ebay and use the money to buy crystals and flight packs for the 9C.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
A Betancourt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 5UAF was a great radio, it is not a computer radio but it has very good gimbals (the same as the G series and 7 uap, uaps radios) it uses the same RF module as the 7UAP/7UAPS, 8UAP/UAF and 9C radios so it is 100% copatible and from my point of view a good back up radio or something to use in small planes, to teach someone to fly or even as a buddy box, I would keep it and about the channel you could change the crystals in the RX (actually technicaly on the TX too, Iknow that it is illegal in the USA but in Mexico and Europe it is possible, everybody does it and works perfectly).

Regards,

Alfredo
Old 07-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree the radio is a good one, HOWEVER, be very very careful as it has a design flaw in my humble opinion. The On/Off switch is located high and between the trim slides for the elevator and the throtle. Can you guess what can happen ? And you'll notice that the On/Off switch has no guard around it and is VERY easy to move from one position to the other. Are you getting what I'm saying? This is a dangerous design! Two trim slides within 3/8 of an inch, no guards, very easy to move. And yes I did turn off my radio in flight and a 20 pound airplane was buried up to it's wing. Thank the Lord no one was under that missile. It's my opinion that Futaba has a high liability with this design. As since I planted old ugly I've met other folks who've done the exact same thing with that design.
I will continue to fly with mine but I'm modifying it so that I can lock it in the ON position.

Mark