RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver fried from switch

Old 07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Receiver fried from switch

My new PCM RX fried today I went to charge my cells in my new predator gasser 4 tanks now with a triton charger and using a Cermark switch. plug the plug backwards I forgot witch way it goes in hit the charge button the volts went to 40 or so volts then an error come up no battery so ok turn the plug around hit the charge button then it stared to charge good when done I turn on the heli nothing the RX is fried I replace the rx with a spare works fine my fried RX smells burnt so now I’m out $100 for a RX I never had this happen before with any type of switch I’m so mad

any of you had this happen

thanks
Atvracer
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Receiver fried from switch

The RX is isolated from the switch when it's turned OFF and or for charging. Is it possible you had the switch "ON" or switched it "ON" when charging?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:46 AM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Receiver fried from switch

It seems like prudent design of connectors in electrical equipment should observe polarity or be tolerant to reverse polarity. Good design (people friendly design) should never allow plugging the plug backwards to destroy equipment. Was it the charger or the switch that allowed backwards plug in?

Bill

It is a problem that JR and Futaba transmitter charging jacks are mechanically compatible but polarity reversed. And then they add diodes inconveniencing everyone. What a poor design. How could they possibly have made the design any more people unfriendly? Seems like the electronic geniuses are severely lacking in people savvy.

My traveling phones can be put in the cradle either way and they charge happily.

A quote from the most useful charging equipment in my shop:
“‘X’ is also goof proof. You cannot harm the charger OR your batteries by plugging anything in backwards! If you believe in Murphy’s Law, this is a very important feature.“